• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Adds 1 Hour to Programming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Have u payed attention to Shippuden's ratings dude? they have been below 580k for almost the entire year...!

...And?

FlyGuySempai wrote:
U actually like the fact that you're watching washed up reruns of a series 99% of people have seen over 5 yrs ago and continue having that stink up the latter half of a block that doesn't need Shippuden to survive??

Okay I'm confused if 99% of Toonami's viewership has seen the entirety of the Pain arc (whereas a number of people quite obviously haven't) why does it being in reruns disqualify it from running on Toonami especially when virtually everything else presently running on Toonami including the anime's you've suggested has already been seen by a large number of people?

FlyGuySempai wrote:
You'd rather have yrs upon yrs of Shippuden airing while toonami passes up on more promising series like Steins Gate, Death Parade, Erased, SMC,

Promising series that'll 9 times out of 10 have ratings equal to or much worse than Shippuden.

FlyGuySempai wrote:
BORUTO and i can go on forever...You'd rather see Shippuden air its entire 500 episode run before even watching Boruto's upcoming dub?? Really dude?

Given that Boruto is an ongoing series that hasn't even aired it's 20th episode in Japan I'm not seeing why it airing on Toonami is of any importance. This argument will also wind up looking funny in retrospect if Boruto winds up clocking in a 200-300 episodes overall.

FlyGuySempai wrote:
Now second, the ratings on AS before 1030-11 are absolutely terrible or simply not good enough, plus Anime on primetime hasn't seen the light of day in YEARS, even Demarco(Toonami Head) has said primetime is a terrible time to show anime no matter what day of the week.

Anytime to air anime in the US nowadays is a bad time as no one is hardly running it on major networks compared to what was going on between 1999-2008 .

FlyGuySempai wrote:
3rd, Battle shonen is a dying breed

No it's not.

FlyGuySempai wrote:
especially never ending long runners. Its becoming a thing of the past to sit through a weekly 1000 episode series for years and years which is why OP got canned

If these long runners were airing everyday instead of once every week like DragonBall Z did back in the day things would be much much different. One Piece's problem isn't that it's a long runner it's problem was that it was a bit too niche for people compared to your Pokemons, Yu-Gi-Ohs, & DBZs.

FlyGuySempai wrote:
and Shippuden is next. In 2015 Toonami wen towards the more seinen route and the ratings skyrocketed

For everything on the block or just specific shows? and unless those ratings are hitting the 2 or 4 million mark they're really worth parading around when they're likely still sub-par compared to what shows on other cable networks likely draw.

FlyGuySempai wrote:
Toonami will be cancelled in the upcoming yrs if they continue this trend so NO.

Toonami would be potentially canceled even if they listen to your suggestions because few people want to sit up til 2 AM to watch stuff they can easily watch legally and illegally at pretty much anytime of the day or just buy on DVD.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I'm Just happy we are getting IBO S2 in October after TG so no lose for me.

That's good news, I didn't know that. I can't seem to get around to watching it online, but I've been wanting to, and having it on Toonami will do the trick.

Count me as one of those people who like watching whatever they show because of the dubs. Unless it's a title I've loved enough to buy, that's the only way I'll hear the dubs anymore. I'm especially enjoying the Pain arc of Shippuden since it's so rare these days to get to hear Troy Baker outside of video games and I'm not a gamer. I'm also very much looking forward to the Chimera Ant arc of HxH, even though it will be awhile before they get to that. It would be great if they moved up the time slot when that starts up.

I also think that older series aren't a bad buy since after 5 years, more people will feel like revisiting those episodes they enjoyed than they would only 6 months or a year after streaming them. I know a lot of people are into the "seen it, moving on" mindset of checking off titles as if there were an award for most series viewed, but if something is good, I think most people also enjoy rewatches if it's put in front of them.

It would be cool to have some comedy mixed in, but that's a hard call, since comedy is so subjective. I think KonoSuba would do very well for them though (the milkshake and panty-free Aqua would bring all the boys to the yard), but it's probably out of their price range.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
anifani wrote:
1st... I feel really special being in that 1%... Wink Again... didn't think they were reruns... on TV anyway.

2nd... How do they get these ratings? I know so many people watching Toonami, and I'm from a small city. Question

Regarding the first part, the episodes of Naruto Shippuden currently airing (Pain Invasion arc) are 4 years old from when Viz Media first released them on DVD, they are airing on TV for the first time. Disney X.D only aired up until episode 97 so Adult Swim have been airing episodes yet to premiere on US TV for a year-in-a-half now. Besides the four year gap between the DVD releases and the episodes airing on Adult Swim have been like this since Shippuden first premiered on the block. This is nothing new.

Now as for the second part, the sources have varied a bit over the years but it's usually from people who have Neilson boxes or something like that or have watched via DVR or something like that. The problem with how people point out the ratings is that they usually refer to the all age ratings and not the 18-34 or 18-49 male demographic which is what matters Adult Swim. Most people also don't acknowledge how each show does on their own time slot compared to other shows on other channels that target the same demographic at the same time slot. In other words, their competition.

On another note, holy crap! I got credited for the update on the article! I wasn't even expecting that.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that JoJo will be airing at 12:00 AM. That way, I'll be able to watch it live instead of DVRing it. Smile
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I love Toonami, because watching anime "live" with other fans on Twitter is the next best thing to watching with a group of rl friends. And I end up watching anime I probably wouldn't check out otherwise--like Lupin the 3rd this season.
There are some great extras, too, like original animated music videos and video game reviews, and extra Steve Blum voice acting in general.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Geez, I can't even imagine the discussions that must be going on at CN for the time slots to keep changing so often.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Most people also don't acknowledge how each show does on their own time slot compared to other shows on other channels that target the same demographic at the same time slot. In other words, their competition.

I don't know how they're doing since their message boards got the ax, but before that I know they've been outperforming pretty much everything else in those time slots, at least compared to shows aiming for that 18-35 male demographic.

You can find current ratings (up to July 15th anyway) here. Also, while I haven't been able to track down any charts that look at head to head competition in the wee hours of Saturday night, this chart from last week shows Dragon Ball Super (4th), Kai (5th), AOT (6th) and Tokyo Ghoul (9th) in the top ten of all cable shows for the entire day, and Lupin was 14th, which is pretty good considering most people are in bed after midnight. Smile
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
I have to agree, I do think the Internet Streaming sites like Crunchyroll did take some thunder out of Cartoon Network's lightning. Why bother waiting for the Dub when you can watch the series off Crunchyroll. Of course there are a few exceptions like Attack on Titan and JoJo's that the series has the energy that you can watch it multiple of times and never get bored.

IMHO, Adult Swim showing multiple long-term series is a mistake, you get into those slow arcs or filler arcs that just drains the life out of viewers. But when they have it on rotation with fresh series, mixed with old popular titles (GitS), it does well. But Adult Swim does it's best when they have exclusivity. Either in a simulcast (Space Dandy) or with their own series (Samurai Jack). That's what I think that's the best option they should pursuit to invigorate the channel.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
And Finally, deviate from just action! If Toonami became a more comedy oriented or experimental block that didn't just focus on action then they'd last alot longer as a truly western anime powerhouse of content and it'll serve as a enjoyable gateway to casuals by exposing a variety of different quality anime. The world of anime isnt always Powerups, screams and transformations! Its about character development and philosophy too! MY GOSH! UGHH
I heard something a few years ago about one of the higher ups at Adult Swim saying that Toonami is an action block, not an Anime block.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
People really should invest in getting the sister CN channel so they can watch everything in HD starting at 8:30 and finish by midnight. I mean, if they don't want to stay up till 3 AM and can afford it. Perfect way to top off Saturday night.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I heard something a few years ago about one of the higher ups at Adult Swim saying that Toonami is an action block, not an Anime block.

There was only one anime on Toonami in its first year (Voltron). Toonami has always been an Action Block (very few non-action shows in its lifetime). It may be mostly anime now due to how action cartoons (especially for the Adult Swim crowd) have become less common, but it's not an anime block per se.

Toonami's always been proud of its identity as an action block.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

The fact that they used to run ThunderCats, PowerPuff Girls, The Real Adventures Of Johnny Quest, Megas XLR, Samurai Jack & burned off the episodes of Beware The Batman that CN decided not to air (that people in other regions got to see) should've made it clear they're not an "all" anime block.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
^Don't forget Sym-Bionic Titan! Very Happy
And talking about Genndy Tartakovsky, Toonami premiered a new, final season of Samurai Jack this year. How can anyone think Toonami is anime-only?
I wonder what its ratings were like--I'd love to get another season of Sym-Bionic Titan. Or even a special...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
I'm kind of shocked that people still care about a TV block for anime in the West. Their ratings seem to be going down, which isn't shocking since the internet exists now and I feel like the nostalgia people initially had when the block was brought back is slowly fading away as well.

The real issue is Toonami versus Adult Swim Comedy. Is that going down at about the same rate, or is Toonami losing viewership while Adult Swim Comedy is remaining relatively stable?

Aura Ichadora wrote:
For me, Toonami is the only way for me to watch new anime outside of blind-buying. Unlike most people, I don't have the best streaming capabilities in my apartment and have no way to get better internet (I live in an apartment, so whatever they're contracted with is all we can have; we even have the best service they offer). I have to share the connection with roommates that usually online game 8-12 hours per day (sometimes more), which makes things go even slower for me. So, for me, Toonami is my gateway to shows that I probably should've seen already, but either couldn't due to my connection problems or were ones that I had thought of watching but never actually went out the way to go for it. Also, I prefer watching dubs over subs, so Toonami is also fantastic for me to watch in the format I like most.

I have a similar experience, although it's more because I live with someone who streams on three or four devices at once and is too prideful and stubborn to cut it down. To her, streaming is exactly the same as TV (to where she never ever pauses) for any reason), and she has at least one device on at all hours of the day. It causes our Internet to be unstable and really causes problems for online gaming for me, let alone me streamig my own stuff.

Also, Toonami is a social thing here, as most of the time I watch it with at least one other person. Streaming is a solitary activity.

(And if anyone asks, during the times she's NOT streaming anything, it's about 10 Mbps download and upload. When she's at full streaming, it drops down to about 1.5 Mbps down and 0.3 Mbps up. Some of her streaming services are poorly programmed.)

prtorpedo wrote:
Footage from the later episodes of Stardust Crusaders was showcased at Anime Expo this year. They showcased clips of Hol Horse's debut and Kakyoin's rerorerorero dubbed.

They also confirmed Derek Stephen Prince as the voice of Iggy, meaning they're either very far in or they've completed Stardust Crusaders.

Mewzard wrote:
Do hope they get Diamond is Unbreakable after this. I love Part 4 way more than Part 3 (though I enjoy both).

Same here. That's going to be a fun one to listen to in English.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Toonami would be potentially canceled even if they listen to your suggestions because few people want to sit up til 2 AM to watch stuff they can easily watch legally and illegally at pretty much anytime of the day or just buy on DVD.

It's actually way more convenient for me. I get Cartoon Network East while living on the west coast, so everything comes on three hours earlier.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I also think that older series aren't a bad buy since after 5 years, more people will feel like revisiting those episodes they enjoyed than they would only 6 months or a year after streaming them. I know a lot of people are into the "seen it, moving on" mindset of checking off titles as if there were an award for most series viewed, but if something is good, I think most people also enjoy rewatches if it's put in front of them.

It would be cool to have some comedy mixed in, but that's a hard call, since comedy is so subjective. I think KonoSuba would do very well for them though (the milkshake and panty-free Aqua would bring all the boys to the yard), but it's probably out of their price range.

I can say that the same holds for YouTube too, I've noticed. If you're putting up game footage and you're going for views, comments, or whatever, the best times to put them up are either immediately after the game comes out or long after the game comes out. (Habits have changed since I started in 2008 though.)

Comedy rarely gets good ratings on Toonami. Space Dandy and One Punch Man are the only ones I can think of that didn't entirely bomb. (I think Lupin III is currently getting decent numbers--not great, but not terrible.) My impression is that people tune in to Toonami for the action, and they get their comedy elsewhere.

Agent355 wrote:
^Don't forget Sym-Bionic Titan! Very Happy
And talking about Genndy Tartakovsky, Toonami premiered a new, final season of Samurai Jack this year. How can anyone think Toonami is anime-only?
I wonder what its ratings were like--I'd love to get another season of Sym-Bionic Titan. Or even a special...

I love Samurai Jack, and the final season was fantastic. It's apparently big enough that it repeatedly made the front page of Rotten Tomatoes. But I think people tend to forget about it because it's unlike anything else that was on the block at the time.

I will definitely be picking it up on home video. (As well as Season 3, as I forgot "Jack and the Spartans" and "Jack and the Haunted House" are in that one. I have Season 4 though.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The real issue is Toonami versus Adult Swim Comedy. Is that going down at about the same rate, or is Toonami losing viewership while Adult Swim Comedy is remaining relatively stable? ... (I think Lupin III is currently getting decent numbers--not great, but not terrible.) My impression is that people tune in to Toonami for the action, and they get their comedy elsewhere.

That's a difficult comparison to make since Saturday is the worst day of the week for tv viewing across the board on both cable and broadcast. Also, tv viewership is down for every network as Netflix, Hulu and other streaming platforms gain those views.

As I noted in the post above, Lupin came in 14th last week for all cable programming on Saturday, despite being in the 2 am death slot, so yeah, it's doing pretty good. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4