• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lascivious Master Roshi Suspected Target in Latest BPO Published Complaint

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
You do realize you essentially described a lot of harem titles where klutzy lead guy is the "accidental" molester?
Well in the case of Roshi it is very much intentional. Also in Japan the average harem show airs at about 2 am while I think that DBS airs at 9 am. DBS is marketed towards kids and in Japan you can get DBS toys at McDonald's.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not taking a side in this argument, I think pervy characters are funny but people are also allowed to feel however they're gonna feel about it. It should be pointed out that it's obvious that the writers are acknowledging that Roshi's antics have continued long enough and it's time to focus on another side of him, spoiler[thus eliminating the temptation altogether.]

I'm interest in seeing where it goes and if they stick with this route, i think they should and force themselves to do more with the character.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, i dont like those scenes. Can't blame the feminists in this one.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Toriyama should do a kickstarter to make the Super arcs into animated movies like Battle of Gods and Resurrection F were. They were both better as films and were allowed to go further with their content. Seriously, Freeza isn't even allowed to kill anyone anymore!?

I'd argue that Super has been more violent than those movies, sure there as been a bit less blood, but there has been many more deaths, Beerus has actually been shown destroying planets for shits and giggles, Frieza's destruction of earth was much more brutal and and Frieza is about to waste an entire legion of assassins and likely dooming an entire universe in the process. (they can't compete in the tournament if all of their best fighters are dead.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
supersqueak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
You do realize you essentially described a lot of harem titles where klutzy lead guy is the "accidental" molester?
Well in the case of Roshi it is very much intentional. Also in Japan the average harem show airs at about 2 am while I think that DBS airs at 9 am. DBS is marketed towards kids and in Japan you can get DBS toys at McDonald's.

I was going to say the same thing the audience for DBS is very broad its very much marketed to children so it isn't unreasonable that some people think they should keep that in mind.
Slashman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I was never a fan of the super pervert old man stereotype in anime. Its fine if producers want to include it but if your timeslot/show is aimed at younger viewers it would probably be good to tone that down.

So for this one, I'm not against the complaint...the Pripara one was really very silly though.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
I'm pretty sure Master Roshi has been a pervert from the very beginning. Not sure why this incident would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I enjoy ecchi anime and even though it's common to see a woman's​ breasts grabbed by a pervert what was so uncomfortable about Rishi in this instance was that the woman kept asking him to back off but he kept going and it wasn't fun to watch. Yes, he's always been a pervert but, he reads dirty magazines be states at voluptuous women. It's only in Super that he's seems like he could rape someone if not for the fact that this isn't hentai. He didn't do that with Launch or Krillin's busty ex Maron; he used to just get nosebleeds. The problem is that many anime are on the line between ecchi and hentai.
Slashman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
If you want Ecchi there is High School DxD or HOTD. If you want borderline hentai there is Shinmai Mauo no Testament. None of those gave off the same vibe as 'dirty old man assaulting woman in a kids show.'
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
#868759 wrote:
Not gonna lie, i dont like those scenes. Can't blame the feminists in this one.
I don't think there is any harm in pointing out when you consider something to be bad and in my opinion it makes sense that a parent would have a problem with that episode. DBS has been a lot more female friendly than DBZ and up until that episode they had managed to avoid doing anything creepy.
malbhet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
I was wondering what happened to all of the Social Justice Warriors that were making video games in america a hellish nightmare, because it's been awfully quite in the west and a lot more female skin showing in video games here without anyone whining like entitled pricks, and now I know. They went Japan lol:D
I'm fine with that, just as long as those Social Justice Warriors and feminazis don't haunt the state side anymore. They're your problem now Japan rotflmfaoXD
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
I enjoy ecchi anime and even though it's common to see a woman's​ breasts grabbed by a pervert what was so uncomfortable about Rishi in this instance was that the woman kept asking him to back off but he kept going and it wasn't fun to watch. Yes, he's always been a pervert but, he reads dirty magazines be states at voluptuous women. It's only in Super that he's seems like he could rape someone if not for the fact that this isn't hentai. He didn't do that with Launch or Krillin's busty ex Maron; he used to just get nosebleeds. The problem is that many anime are on the line between ecchi and hentai.

I may well be wrong, but I have a feeling this was done intentionally by the writers/director. Super seems to be pointing spotlights at the deficiencies of several of the main characters. Goku, for instance, is basically getting called out for his tendency of putting the Universe in jeopardy simply to get a good fight. Now Roshi is getting called out not for being a perv, but for actively demeaning women. I have feeling that this will come to a head when he is fighting some of the women on the other teams; and I don't recall ever seeing Roshi seriously decide to do something about his pervy nature, as he now appears to be doing.

Super, IMO, seems to be actually making people grow up: Vegeta has mostly grown up, Roshi might have to as well, and even Goku may end up maturing a bit. This may even lead to a real changing of the guard in the end. It wouldn't surprise me if that happened based on how things are being handled. It's one of the reasons I'm following this series, so I'm interested in seeing how this aspect turns out.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Super has been brilliant at character development so far. Not only are the less mature adult characters like Goku and Roshi "growing up," the more mature adults are learning how to balance their super-strong-save-the-world destiny with their day jobs and family responsibilities. Gohan is the obvious main example of learning balance, but Krillin's developing on both ends--working as an "ordinary" cop (he's still a superhuman who can fly) and getting over his insecurities and fears that he's no longer a universe saving level fighter just because most of his fighting friends (not to mention his wife) are physically stronger than him. And who doesn't love the focus on side characters like 17, or the addition of new girls? (literally--both babies born in the series have been girls, and some of the most interesting fighters from other universes in the latest arc are women, too. The next generation of Z-fighters, presuming it's Marron, Pan, Bra, Trunks & Goten, has a 3-2 female ratio!)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Watch something else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3