• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NHK Program Discusses Anime Industry's Financial, Working-Condition Problems

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
bigivel wrote:
Is obvious that you don't even know what you're talking. "Negotiating for a fair share"? Of what, of their contracted work? That has nothing to do with share of the profits, but the money worth for the labor. Fair Negotiation about the labor money exist since ever and the responsability of the animation companies to do it for their benefit, it makes no sense that a 3rd party, the person that will have to pay them, to play in the side of the animation company.

I think you're the one who doesn't understand. The animation studios are paid little for the work they do - by all accounts too little. The problem with the idea of "the studios need to negotiate higher fees for themselves" is that they have basically no leverage to do so. If a production committee says to Studio A "we'll pay you X for making this show" and Studio A says "that's not enough, how about you pay us Y?", the committee can just say "never mind then, we can get Studio B to do it for X". There's a power imbalance in any money negotiations there, which the production committees exploit to keep their costs down.
bigivel wrote:
You talk of shares and of royalties(other posts, I will assume you're in the same state of belief), but you first need to know what those things are. Those are portions of owned product profit(shares) and fees for reproduction of your product(royalties). The animation companies(the small and medium size ones, that are the majority unfortunately) doesn't have ownership nor product at all. So no, they don't deserve a Share nor Royalties!

But it isn't set in stone that animation studios must never get royalties from anime that isn't an original work. As things currently stand with the standard contracts, they have no legal entitlement to royalties, but it can certainly be argued that if they do good work and the anime is popular and makes lots of money for the production committee, they deserve to get more money than if they do average work and the anime has middling sales or flops. Therefore, standard contracts should assign studios a share of royalties as well as a flat fee for work done.
bigivel wrote:
If you really want for those anime companies to have a Share and/or Royalties, than the solution is rather simple.
The Animation Company joins the Production Committee! Problem solved.
Is not like anybody is disabling them from doing that, in fact there are some anime projects where animation companies make part of the committee.

So the million dollar question, why doesn't the animation studios do that?

The answer is because, by and large, they can't. See above regarding power imbalance in negotiations; if they can't negotiate a higher flat fee, they're unlikely to be able to negotiate royalties. Both ultimately require the committee to agree to getting a smaller slice of the pie.

Is funny you say they can't, but before in the past, before the nighttime boom of anime. The new anime companies could do even harder things like be in a partnership with the TV channels.
Is strange to hear that the animation studios can't do that, when the system of Production Committee was created for the single fact to be way more affordable than the previous system.

Also you know that there isn't really a defined limit of money that a company has to place in Production Committee right?

Also the way you tell the story of Production Committee and Animation Studios negotiation s relantionships removes a lot of important variables and adds a lot of assumptions(on how Committee behave), just to place a huge disadvantage into an Animation Studio.
As if a company like Wit Studio/JC Staff/... is so in need of a new project, that they can't reject nothing, and any Production Committee will just go with any crappy studio because is cheaper, like their objective is just cutting costs and not earning revenue.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Wow, I had no idea the anime business was making that much money.

That $18 billion (or 18 trillion yen) bears little resemblance to what you or I would consider to be the "anime business." It includes just under six trillion yen in merchandise and an equivalent amount from overseas revenues accruing to movies, etc. I wish ANN would stop quoting such a bloated and meaningless figure.

If we look solely at revenues accruing to "domestic commercial animation studios," that figure was a much smaller 201 billion yen (about $2 billion) in 2015, of which television, movie and disc sales constituted about 98 billion yen.

See http://aja.gr.jp/?wpdmdl=1005
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
bigivel wrote:

You understand that if what you're saying was true the final profit from Animation Studios would be increasing and would not be stable, right?

Is stable because the money the get from commissions is not that much. Hardly enough to cover the expenses. That's why they have to wait until they get enough money to have their on original anime project. For example you have Studio Xebec. Only after 4 years and 7 projects, they invested in their first original anime.
I don't know if they made a profit, but only a few years after that they were able to made another original anime.

I don't remember if Kyoto Animation, the studio chose by Kodansha to make the big 2016 movie hit A Silent Voice ever made a original anime. From the $19.56 million the film made , most of it go to the Publisher.

One studio the most probably have a big profit was MAPPA because of the hit Yuri on Ice that was a original anime.

What im trying to said is that is very difficult for studios to have increase in profits. Most of them are only surviving in anime made for manga/LN publishers.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. If the common practice of studios was the one you're saying. That they save their money, even if it takes years, to be able to invest in an original series in the future, where they make part of the production committee or are themselves the only(or in partner relationship) producer, than that would bring 2 things.

1st there wouldn't exist so many "main" animation studios, and 2nd the direction of the money earned by animation companies in general would be increasing. That is how it works with majority of companies that enter in production themselves(Kyoto Animation, Sunrise, Pierrot, TMS Entertainment, Toei Animation, ...), and not only that but is how majority of the economy goes, and as you can see also how it goes for the Production Committee.

Is just a fact that majority of animation companies don't do that. They just stay in the save zone that is to be a contracting company and stay like that.

About Xebec, Xebec is a subsidiary company of IG Port. So brother of Production I.G. and Wit Studio. The company really is "free" of many problems if something goes badly.

From that point of view, you are probably right.
Also Japanese companies are usually very conservative and don't like to change. If something works, they stick with it until they really need to change.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Anime production is a small business and small business in general has tough hurdle of staying alive among numerous competitors. While I sympathize with small business owners of anime studios, but isn't it time to tackle serious issues especially when overall animation business is now multi-billion dollar market?

Even before internet, Anime production is already notorious for their pay scale and labor practice. Those shortcomings are overlooked by insiders when it was a small cottage business ran by passionate enthusiasts and hobbyists, but those problems have been going on for decades and it seems gotten worse with a glut of 100+ TV shows a year and high demand for quality visuals and severe shortage of workers.

It makes me wonder if there is any loophole in Japanese Intellectual Property law which allows productions can get a larger pie piece of the market... Obviously how contracts are setup is not helping them.

Or maybe Japanese animation productions are doomed from beginning simply because they're too focused on their craft....
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
What a [expletive] joke, by those graphics they could even give(for free) more than the double of money that the studios already make... By doing that, at least the animators morale wouldn't reach the state that it is now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3