• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bloomberg: Sony Pictures Weighs Bidding on Funimation Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:40 am Reply with quote
Humm, maybe they are looking in double releases.

Like Crunchyroll are focusing in subs and Funimation in dubs, maybe they are looking at making Aniplex high end subs only releases and Funimation for a lower end dubs only releases.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
So a lot of doom and gloom from the comments, however even of the worse happens, it wouldn't be much of a loss. Lots of publishers have come and go over the years, and this wouldn't even be the worst of them, as the loss of Bandai Visual US was a lot worse given the high quality of their dubs. And you may get them back in a similar way you got ADV back.

Someone said about them moving to LA, which is actually really good, as that is where most of the best VAs work Aside from a few people, there are very few great VAs at Funimation, and they could always go work for Sentai, who have most of Texas best VAs anyway. Another advantage is that we may finally see the end of simul dubbing, no more endless stream of sub-par to decent dubs every season. It would be wonderful to return to before most dubs were from Funi.
I'm not sure I understand are you saying that they would buy a dubbing company and then stop dubbing? Also simuldubs are a huge draw for
funi and there is no one forcing you to watch "sub-par" dubs just wait till the physical release if it bothers you so much.
I'm not sure what you are on about either, you seem to have combined the part about how they would change with the part about them possibly going under, which was a reply to people saying that Sony would go under and take them with them.

I don't see how waiting for the psychical release solves the problem, the issue is with the quality of the dub as they are producing in such a short period of time, it is not like they are re-dubbed for the home release. I know I don't have to watch their simul-dubs but when a show I'm interested in gets one, then I'm either sticking with the subs, watching a not very good dub or if I'm lucky a good one, and that last option very rarely happens.

It's not like they have to put all these out, they are banking on shows being popular before they are even out, it puts them under tight deadlines and it's not like it is any more profitable than simulsubs(which cost less and are not as much as a gamble). Just look at Hand Shakers, no one would dub that, but because they planed it they are stuck with it.

All I want is there to be, on average at least, good dubs, and Funiamtion are unintentionally undermining this.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm not sure what you are on about either, you seem to have combined the part about how they would change with the part about them possibly going under, which was a reply to people saying that Sony would go under and take them with them.

I don't see how waiting for the psychical release solves the problem, the issue is with the quality of the dub as they are producing in such a short period of time, it is not like they are re-dubbed for the home release. I know I don't have to watch their simul-dubs but when a show I'm interested in gets one, then I'm either sticking with the subs, watching a not very good dub or if I'm lucky a good one, and that last option very rarely happens.

It's not like they have to put all these out, they are banking on shows being popular before they are even out, it puts them under tight deadlines and it's not like it is any more profitable than simulsubs(which cost less and are not as much as a gamble). Just look at Hand Shakers, no one would dub that, but because they planed it they are stuck with it.

All I want is there to be, on average at least, good dubs, and Funiamtion are unintentionally undermining this.
But they do go back and fix dubs for home release...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:24 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
I've heard they can do that, but I've not fount any examples where they've done, can you share some?
matt78

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
The only positives I can see from this is that we may finally get a blu ray release of Blood+ and a couple of other titles that Sony has. That and maybe the next time Sony tries to release an anime movie they might look to Funimation for help adapting it.
dcmc

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Honestly, my first reaction when I saw this was "I got a bad feeling." Mad

At one time, corporations bought smaller businesses, it use to be a good thing. But in the past decade, the truth it has proven to be disastrous as they effectively gotten assimilated by the Borg. Case in point, EA. It was no longer about the player but how much money they would bring in. This is exactly what I expect to happen with Funimation if they happen to be bought out by Sony. Sony really does not care at all about the Anime and Manga communities, they only care about acquiring the titles and becoming "the next Marvel studio". That is their goal!

lol what?Funi is just distributor,its not like acquiring it automatically gives them rights to all the titles,to be made into movies or other things.
GATSU wrote:
I don't think it's gonna happen, because it'd be as big a nightmare to sort out as Disney's deals with Marvel and Lucasfilm. And don't forget Sony's own deal with Disney and Marvel for Spider-Man.

yeah right,like Funi is as big as Marvel & Lucasfilm Rolling Eyes
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I rather see Funimation left alone. And if they are making 100 million dollars per year, they seem to be in great shape to me.

I wonder if that 100 million is correct or an error. It seems like a lot for a company that sells discs with someone else's content and a streaming service that probably has less subscribers than Crunchyroll. If it is correct then they have no excuses for the poor quality control they have been exhibiting or the slowness on fixing some of their issues.

One has to wonder what Sony or Universal would actually get out of this if buying Funi was a consideration? Maybe a little more price control over their titles and an entrance into the NA anime streaming market? It doesn't quite seem like enough to me. Maybe if Funi was more involved in content creation like being on the production committees of several well regarded anime properties then that might be worth it. I would imagine instead that if they were interested they might be better off doing just an investment or a small percentage ownership instead of buying the whole caboodle. It lets them stick a toe in the water to test it out without jumping in.

Also you have to wonder how this whole thing came about? Is there someone trying to create or gauge interest in buying the company or getting a stake in it? Funi had to team up with Crunchyroll and maybe they are looking for other investment partners. Remember that Mike DuBoise their current COO used to work for Universal. Is this where some of the noise is coming from? Again this might be nothing more than somebody trying to round up some investment and get some publicity. So far it looks like neither Universal or Sony are biting.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
It should be noted that Funimation is currently a subsidiary of a company known as Group 1200 Media. And Funimation isn't in that bad of a position for what it is. This wouldn't be a wise decision from a financial standpoint, though I really have nothing against a lot of Sony movies from a critical standpoint (but seriously, screw The Emoji Movie Laughing ).

Funimation changed hands a couple of times in recent years. Group 1200 Media is basically the umbrella company they created when Funimation's founder bought back the company from it's previous owners with the help of some other investors.
It is doubtful that Funimation want to be part of a publicly listed company again after the owners have gone through the effort of buying it back out of that state. They are doing extremely well on their own, and there is little evidence that they would do better as a subsidiary of a larger company.

One-Eye wrote:

I wonder if that 100 million is correct or an error. It seems like a lot for a company that sells discs with someone else's content and a streaming service that probably has less subscribers than Crunchyroll. If it is correct then they have no excuses for the poor quality control they have been exhibiting or the slowness on fixing some of their issues.

They don't just do discs, you know. They probably also have merchandise rights to various well-selling properties. Then there's also the fact that they bring movies into cinemas every now and then. They also sell shows to TV and license out territories for anime that they aren't serving themselves.

Last edited by sputn1k on Fri May 05, 2017 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Random Name wrote:
I've heard they can do that, but I've not fount any examples where they've done, can you share some?
off the top of my head snow white and assassination classroom. Then again I don't really buy home releases and I'm content with simuldubs. Sucks for you that your not.
matt78

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
dcmc wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:
Honestly, my first reaction when I saw this was "I got a bad feeling." Mad

At one time, corporations bought smaller businesses, it use to be a good thing. But in the past decade, the truth it has proven to be disastrous as they effectively gotten assimilated by the Borg. Case in point, EA. It was no longer about the player but how much money they would bring in. This is exactly what I expect to happen with Funimation if they happen to be bought out by Sony. Sony really does not care at all about the Anime and Manga communities, they only care about acquiring the titles and becoming "the next Marvel studio". That is their goal!

lol what?Funi is just distributor,its not like acquiring it automatically gives them rights to all the titles,to be made into movies or other things.

True but if Sony was interested in making more anime movies they might think it is beneficial to have people around who know the industry to get advice from. Funimation would have better incite than a Hollywood director about things that would turn the anime community against a film.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
off the top of my head snow white and assassination classroom. Then again I don't really buy home releases and I'm content with simuldubs. Sucks for you that your not.
Sucks for a lot of people, not just me. Will probably suck for people in future years who watch them.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
matt78

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Sucks for a lot of people, not just me. Will probably suck for people in future years who watch them.

Wouldn't they add the updated dubs to their website though? Sounds like you would have to watch the rushed simidub and then rewatch it again sometime in the future for the fixed dub.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So a lot of doom and gloom from the comments, however even of the worse happens, it wouldn't be much of a loss. Lots of publishers have come and go over the years, and this wouldn't even be the worst of them, as the loss of Bandai Visual US was a lot worse given the high quality of their dubs. And you may get them back in a similar way you got ADV back.

Someone said about them moving to LA, which is actually really good, as that is where most of the best VAs work Aside from a few people, there are very few great VAs at Funimation, and they could always go work for Sentai, who have most of Texas best VAs anyway. Another advantage is that we may finally see the end of simul dubbing, no more endless stream of sub-par to decent dubs every season. It would be wonderful to return to before most dubs were from Funi.

What? If Funimation ceased to exist it would be a huge loss for the anime industry in North America and parts of Europe. I don't have the numbers, but it NA alone they have to control 45-55% of the market. I would argue that Funimation's brand recognition helps the Japanese industry as a whole.

Losing Bandai Visual USA/Entertainment ended up not being such a huge deal because Funimation, the emerging Sentai and Crunchyroll did a great filling in. I get that you dislike Funimation dubs, but saying that Funimation would not be terribly missed by fans and the industry because their dubs suck is RIDICULOUS.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Meh you can't please everyone and I don't really care if it sucks for a lot of people. I'm happy with funi I think they do a great job. So like I said sucks for you.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
What? If Funimation ceased to exist it would be a huge loss for the anime industry in North America and parts of Europe. I don't have the numbers, but it NA alone they have to control 45-55% of the market. I would argue that Funimation's brand recognition helps the Japanese industry as a whole.

Losing Bandai Visual USA/Entertainment ended up not being such a huge deal because Funimation, the emerging Sentai and Crunchyroll did a great filling in. I get that you dislike Funimation dubs, but saying that Funimation would not be terribly missed by fans and the industry because their dubs suck is RIDICULOUS.
My opinion on the matter is not coloured by what I think to their dubs, Th usual ones I rarely even have a problem with, Sure given the choice I would love to see some of these shows go to places, but I understand Funi is just a business doing what it does(and a lot of the shows I really like are being dubbed by other studios anyway).

You are overestimating Funimations contribution to the industry. Because aside from being big, which could just be filled in by another company if they were gone, and as you said happened with Bandai, there isn't anything about them that another company could not do.The only thing I think is is that they are the only one aside from Viz Media to dub long running shows.

Bandai on the other hand were really important, they brought over Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Stand Alone Complex and most of BONES early shows. Funimation on the other hand didn't really do much until the other publishers went under, and even now there is very little they have contributed outside of a few long running battle Shonens like Dragon Ball and One Piece. While it may not be a good thing, them gone would at the very worst would mean there would be a drought for a few months before someone else filled in for them. My guess would be Crunchyroll is they are getting into dubs, or possibly Sentai since they are both Texas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4