• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, March 13-19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:

That's a good point about yuri and yaoi, and on the nose with those references. Maria-sama is aimed at a female audience but I can see how it can have crossover appeal. Valkyrie is very male-aimed and while the crossover appeal can/does happen, there's less room for it. (Especially when there already is some sexual/fanservice yuri for female audiences.)

I think yaoi is less splintered in part because of how publishers and retailers treat it though too.

As far as disc sales in scope of totl revenue for anime; some series produce way more merch and make craptons of money that contribute way more to sales overall. One Piece alone probably makes more in merch than most mainstream and niche series do combined.

But then there's also factoring in budget, licensing, etc. Disc sales are definitely important, but it really comes down to examining the title. (Is it anime original, or a LN or manga adaption; does it even get a manga adaption? How much merch is produced? Does it have themed cafes? etc)

Serious yuri anime like Aoi Hana failed. Pure yuri "pandering" like Sakura Trick also bombed. Idk if Citrus and NTR DVD/BD sales can get above 3k. But we must never lose hope.

Despite that, I was surprised that YoI sell really well. Many 4chan user said that fujoshi only want subtext and not canon gay because they can pair every single character. That's why I'm glad it was proven wrong Embarassed
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Tsuruhami wrote:

Serious yuri anime like Aoi Hana failed. Pure yuri "pandering" like Sakura Trick also bombed. Idk if Citrus and NTR DVD/BD sales can get above 3k. But we must never lose hope.

Despite that, I was surprised that YoI sell really well. Many 4chan user said that fujoshi only want subtext and not canon gay because they can pair every single character. That's why I'm glad it was proven wrong Embarassed

That's true. I feel like a lot of more shojo stuff (well, het or yuri) is expected not to do well in DVDs though, and is pretty much served to boost the manga. Even so, it's sad to see it not perform well on that end. Agreed on not losing help~.

Haha, that's an excellent point! Another reason to celebrate its success. ♥
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Tsuruhami wrote:
In China, it's quite popular. But in Japan its popularity stems mostly from Kanna because she's a loli, etc etc. I’ve seen Japanese comments say how they don’t like Kobayashi since she’s too manly and not moe, or that the show tries to talk down to them with all those heavy-ish themes about family, xenophobia and understanding.

Wow, those sound like really dumb and shallow reasons to be negative against the show for. The whole "not moe enough" thing is something I've always assumed was just a joke, not a legitimate problem with Japanese viewers. I love Kobayashi precisely because she ISN'T moe, she's realistic and relatable. I feel like their issues with the show's commentary on family relation ships and and acceptance have more to do with their own cultural issues than the show itself.

I swear, all of my favorite anime never sell over like 2,500 volumes on their first ones (especially ones like Kobayashi, Flip Flappers and Mob Psycho). It's kind of disheartening, really. Like, sometimes I wonder, are my tastes really that out of line with the popular entertainment?
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Tsuruhami wrote:
In China, it's quite popular. But in Japan its popularity stems mostly from Kanna because she's a loli, etc etc. I’ve seen Japanese comments say how they don’t like Kobayashi since she’s too manly and not moe, or that the show tries to talk down to them with all those heavy-ish themes about family, xenophobia and understanding.

Wow, those sound like really dumb and shallow reasons to be negative against the show for. The whole "not moe enough" thing is something I've always assumed was just a joke, not a legitimate problem with Japanese viewers. I love Kobayashi precisely because she ISN'T moe, she's realistic and relatable. I feel like their issues with the show's commentary on family relation ships and and acceptance have more to do with their own cultural issues than the show itself.

I swear, all of my favorite anime never sell over like 2,500 volumes on their first ones (especially ones like Kobayashi, Flip Flappers and Mob Psycho). It's kind of disheartening, really. Like, sometimes I wonder, are my tastes really that out of line with the popular entertainment?

I feel like if Kobayashi were a guy and this is a (straight) ecchi-harem instead of yuri, Maid Dragon will sell much better like Monster Musume.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

Uhhhh Mob Psycho sold over 5K on its first volume (I think it might have even reached 6.5K but don't take my word for it) and its overall average sales was very close to 5K
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote
^7,731 estimated by Oricon. Yeah, Mob was quite successful in that regard.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:

Uhhhh Mob Psycho sold over 5K on its first volume (I think it might have even reached 6.5K but don't take my word for it) and its overall average sales was very close to 5K

Are you including DVD sales as well? Sorry, I was only thinking in terms of blurays. Surely Dragon Maid sold a decent amount more if we include DVD's too then, right?

But wow, if Mob Psycho really did that well, that's fantastic. I need a second season real bad man.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Are you including DVD sales as well? Sorry, I was only thinking in terms of blurays. Surely Dragon Maid sold a decent amount more if we include DVD's too then, right?

Not really, no. Only got 400+ DVDs on the one time it made it through the cut.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I guess I was only remembering volume one's first week bluray sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3