• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: P.A. Works Responds to Public Discussion on Work Conditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
Nitsugalego wrote:
My dream job is sitting on my ass all day. Nobody is willing to pay me for that. I'M BEING EXPLOITED.

Stop being a child. If nobody is willing to pay you what you consider enough for a job then look for another one. You don't have the right to force anyone to pay you more. That's called being an entitled little brat, and it is not something you want to be.

Grow up.The world doesn't revolve around you. Nobody owes you anything.

Actually, they do have the right to coerce pay (or other benefits) upon them. That's what strikes are for.

Also, if you're not doing something considered productive to something else, then that's not really a job. That was brought up in Calvin and Hobbes one time.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
Nitsugalego wrote:
About the demand thing: You completely misunderstood everything I said, good job. Read an econ book and come back to me.

No. You explain it better, if you're going to insist on using the economics jargon definition of a word rather than the common English definition and insist we're idiots for not knowing it.
Nitsugalego wrote:
About the "exploitation thing": Sure man, everyone is a gullible idiot but you. Do you expect me to believe that not one of these workers showed any interest for animation before getting the job, but just got duped by some greedy, mustache twirling capitalist into getting hired for a position they despised? You're a joke.

No, you're deliberately misunderstanding. Of course they had an existing interest in animation; employers with better PR sense than to act obviously evil encourage them to commit to jobs that offer them what they want but for which adequate pay doesn't come in a reasonable timeframe.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Nitsugalego seems to have misunderstood what he's learned. Demand exceeding supply is a temporary condition the market moves to correct by raising the price until demand falls to meet supply. This happens because, as the cost rises, it gets further and further back on the list of things people want(the technical term for that list escapes me).

Eg, If I want 6 apples when they're six to a dollar, I value those apples higher than the dollar. If I want 1 apple when they're six dollar each, I value that apple more than the six dollars. If I want no apples when they're seven dollars each, I value those seven dollars more than the apple. I might "want" a hundred apples, but my effective demand is now zero, making me irrelevant to the price of apples. This will apply to everybody else who wants apples until effective demand matches supply - ie, the remaining actors value apples more than the dollars required to purchase exactly as many as are available. Naturally, this is just a demonstration of the logic and both sides of the equation ping pong around vigorously as the supply and effective demand for apples constantly changes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3