• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Trickster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Even Naruto was stylish enough to add blue or black accents!
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks for sticking around even though Trickster hasn't been particularly convincing recently. It's good to know you are still watching. Very Happy

The pigeons had me waiting for some last minute biological super weapons or the like. Yet nothing came out of it, and it's probably unlikely we'll ever see those birds again.

As for the track suit, now that Hanasaki has a new focus of rebellion, he might get an upgrade.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Quote:
Even after all that abuse and suffering...

See there's my problem with all this: what abuse and suffering? He got strapped into a chair, force fed some maybe drugged tea, had to suffer through the trauma of a cup breaking, listen to some philosophical questions and watch some tv. Oh, and see Twenty Faces' faux nipple. If that was enough to break him (which I suspect it wasn't - he's a good actor, right?), he's spun glass. I mean, compared to Kaneki's hours upon hours of horrific torture and Shinji's years of Gendo's psychological warfare, it's hard to feel too bad for Hanasaki.

Also, this face totally didn't go with the long, anguished Yamete! that accompanied it. Very Happy

Any idea what we were supposed to get out of food delivery to hacker girl? Or did they just need some padding and thought that would pass as character development for those two?
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:48 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
what abuse and suffering? He got strapped into a chair, force fed some maybe drugged tea, had to suffer through the trauma of a cup breaking, listen to some philosophical questions and watch some tv.

B-but... there was screaming, and stuttering, and crying. And a boy in a chair. What do you mean that might not be enough?

Quote:
If that was enough to break him (which I suspect it wasn't - he's a good actor, right?), he's spun glass.

I don't know. Maybe Twenty Faces awakened another Trickster?

Quote:
Any idea what we were supposed to get out of food delivery to hacker girl? Or did they just need some padding and thought that would pass as character development for those two?

No idea. I'm still waiting for her to become a character.
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling that this switching-sides-thing is a setup to catch Twenty Faces once and for all. #justsaying
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the clichéd "torture" was more amusing than horrifying, Twenty Faces must have his cameras literally everywhere...and Akechi is such a tsundere, i'm sure deep down he still loves/wants to kill (which seems to come down to pretty much the same thing in this show) Twenty Faces! Laughing

I am very much conflicted about this show. Part of me just wants to drop this mess, especially since we're not even half way through but another part of me really wants to find out where this will be going...so i guess i'll stick around for now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
This is two cour? Dang, why do all the...less than stellar anime get two cour out the gate, while better ones just quit at one, never to be heard from again. Days, Twin Stars, Trickster - I'm lookin' at all you guys.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
^Actually Twin Stars got 4 cours off the bat Smile. While I could point out how that is not strictly true, I understand that it is an exaggeration, so I'll just try and answer the question. Length is more controlled by how much the production committee wants and can afford than quality per se. At least for Twin Stars, the production committee probably has the money to make a longer TV run, considering it is a battle shonen series. Though considering how soon they had to resort to anime-original arcs, they probably could have cut a cour or two. And I say that as someone watching the show. And looking at Trickster's producers listed on MAL, its production committee isn't exactly paupers either.

I'll just direct you to a Answerman column to explain the quit after one cour part if you haven't read it already.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
I get all that, but what I'm asking is why the production committees are so bad at deciding which titles to throw pots o' money at from the start. Very Happy

It seems to me like once they decide that they want to do a series, they could invest a little money to see what an episode or two is going to look like, get a better rundown of what the director/writers would do if given 12, 24 or more episodes, and then decide how much to commit to. It keeps feeling like someone's nephew really likes the manga or something, so they give them all the money for a long project without enough show-me upfront, and once it's apparent that they don't know what they're doing, Charlie has stolen the handle and the train it won't stop goin', no way to slow down.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
^They don't seem that bad to me, since even looking just at this season, 3 of the top ten ranked (on this site, cumulative to be specific) shows are two or more cours (March, Jojo 4, IBO), 4 if you include split cours (Bungou Stray Dogs). And in terms of making new seasons of well rated shows, 3 out of the top 4 this season are such sequels.

And for Trickster, it could have been at least a halfway decent show if they had gotten a better writer, though some stuff may be at the hands of the mangaka (didn't know it wasn't original until I looked it up). The production values are there and if the writing had just gotten up to passable it would have been a good enough show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:01 am Reply with quote
Making new seasons of popular shows is the opposite of what I was talking about. And JoJo and IBO are both franchises with history and a track record, so they're kind of examples of what I was suggesting, actually. Split cours are also different, since they can be axed before the second cour if they're doing miserably. It just gives them a better shot at not waiting 3 years for the next installment if they're hits.

So March is the only one of your examples that was a good call for the blind-box sort of series I was talking about. Smile
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
Looking at the other two cours stuff this season, All Out is middling, Classicloid while ranked low here still has its fans, including its reviewer, (though considering it is primarily aimed at kids it will likely do better than what the opinion of older foreign fans would indicate). Saiki (a short but producing enough material each week for a full episode equivalent) is rather well rated though not covered here. And that is about it for shows that would meet your criteria. No matter their track record, it's not something they commonly do anyways (7 out of what 80 shows).

And for Twin Stars, I haven't seen the numbers but it could do reasonably well in Japan considering its genre. There's a reason why Naruto has been continuing long past the point Western fans have been begging for it to be over with.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I hereby nominate the pre-credits sequence of episode 11 for this show's "fish gun" moment: the point when, briefly, a painfully awful show becomes so bad it's great, before lapsing into boring inanity once again. I won't describe the sequence—it must be seen to be disbelieved.

(Poor, poor Gackt. I guessed that he used up all of his "good anime" voice acting credits on Shiki.)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
I hereby nominate the pre-credits sequence of episode 11 for this show's "fish gun" moment: the point when, briefly, a painfully awful show becomes so bad it's great, before lapsing into boring inanity once again. I won't describe the sequence—it must be seen to be disbelieved.

(Poor, poor Gackt. I guessed that he used up all of his "good anime" voice acting credits on Shiki.)

If it hadn't been the third time this season (twice in two days too!) an anime I was watching randomly and briefly broke into a spoiler[musical], I'd be right there with you. The first was delightfully odd, the second I gave a pass more or less as it was not too out there given the content of the show (but still not something the show did commonly or really much at all before), but this one I was just like what are you even doing. And even if I had seen them in a different order it would be the worst of them in a bad way, as it is the most pointless.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even surprised that the reviews on this site are so negative and miserable anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5