• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Flying Witch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
4.5 stars for a very enjoyable episode 5. I think I have finally been seduced by Flying Witch. I liked the characters from the start, but I also had some minor issues. But now I will count the days when I can watch a new episode and be immersed it is slice of life pastoral fantasy.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Ep 5 review wrote:
All of Chito's movements and choices this episode were both true to classic cat behavior and animated well enough to convey his fundamental catness.

Just out of curiosity. Nick, do you have cats in the house? You seem to be revealed as a cat person. I have 5 at present.

What I would add to the review is that it was not only an animation of cat behavior but people-around-cats behavior. And not just any people but people who have so little time pressure in their lives that they could spend a half day watching a cat. That kind of life is so far removed from where I am now that this kind of show is exactly what I need. People tuning in looking for magical girl battles or even magic spell snafus will be going WTF about this point but I don't care.

If I just had to use the litter box I would point out that the voice for Chito was absolutely dismal. Whoever voiced and directed that have no idea of what sounds that cats make.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think Kenny, Akane's familiar, is the best cat on Flying Witch, but I'm biased because his meows and purrs are provided by Ayane Sakura, who also voiced (and hopefully will voice again) Natsumi Koshigaya on Non Non Biyori. And also because Kenny appears to be a Siamese or maybe a Himalayan (though I'd say more likely Siamese because Kenny doesn't seem hairy enough for a Himalayan, which is a crossbreed between Persian, for the hair, and Siamese, for the coloring).

Unrelated to the cats, does anyone else suspect that Nana Kuramoto, Kei and Chinatsu's mother, spoiler[is a witch herself who came to Hirosaki City, Aomori Prefecture for training as a teen but fell in love with an ordinary human and gave up witchcraft to start a family? From what I understand, the manga so far hasn't given an explanation one way or another as to how Nana is so nonchalant when it comes to any witchcraft-related incidents, but it seems pretty likely that either Nana is a witch or a relative closer than Makoto and Akane is/was. If Makoto is a second cousin to the Kuramoto kids, I presume it means that Makoto's mother is/was a first cousin to Nana? I'm, of course, presuming that whatever "gene" enables witchcraft ability is passed down through female lineage only.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
^
That had not crossed my mind, but it is a very plausible theory.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Flying Witch seems like it'd be a pretty dangerous show to watch in the lazy hours of the afternoon - Chito yawns, and then Chinatsu yawns, and then I yawn, and that's the end of the day's productivity.

iyashikei at it's best,
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Kind of wondering of opinions that the brother spent a good deal of the episode reading a book that had something about time travel and a cat, and kind of the stories in following the cat ended with meeting a lady who talked about how she know a witch who taught her things about charms.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
It's weird when people say, "This show puts me to sleep," as a compliment.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
It's weird when people say, "This show puts me to sleep," as a compliment.

As much as I enjoy many of them, shows with ultra-relaxed atmospheres tend to make me drowsy when viewed at the tail end of the day. It's not so much a sign of boredom as it is me being swept up in the mood. (Suffice to say, watching this week's Tanaka-kun at one in the morning proved to be a misstep.)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
Ep6

Interesting to see we are getting some actual "white magic" spell action, but I'm a little concerned that someone may try these. As XXXHolic's Yuuko correctly pointed out in "Angel", most novices won't cast an effective spell and so nothing will happen, nothing to worry about. But on occasions a spirit will show up and use the power granted to them to cause the spell to work. These entities aren't actually friendly, I assure you, and seeking power from them is dangerous. Still. I'm loving this show's charm, and Nana seems either oblivious, very laid-back or she knows something. I support Tenchis' conjecture and hope that will be her backstory.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
I think the Harbinger of Spring in episode 2 nicely foreshadowed the major plot development in episode 6 spoiler[with the seemingly throwaway question asking whether Chinatsu was a witch too. The obvious interpretation would have been that he was just confused and assumed that anybody living with a witch must be a witch too, but what if Chinatsu had low-grade witch potential, perhaps due to her family bloodline having witches in it, that might not be obvious to current witches, even Akane, but could be sensed by a purely magical being like the Harbinger? At least, I'm assuming the Harbinger is a magical being and not just a male witch in a costume; the exact nature of the Harbinger seems to be quite ambiguous.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Only 4 stars for episode 6. The first half of the episode was very well done, but the second half was kind of boring. At its midpoint Flying Witch continues to be my favorite anime from this season.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 review wrote:
the inherent whimsy of how useless most of Makoto's magic seems to be

I think it's heavily-implied that spoiler[Makoto's magic will never be on par with Akane's, not that Makoto can't develop her skills beyond what we've seen so far but rather because Akane is someone born with top-tier natural talent, the Wayne Gretzky or Michael Jordan of the witching world, while Makoto might have some talent too but her witchcraft skills will always pale next to her sister's talent, although she seems to understand and accept this and doesn't show any signs of resentment towards her sister, who offers a lot of encouragement to Makoto.]
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I loved the second half of the episode, was adorably hilarious. haven't laughed that much for awhile now. Personally, I think its one of the best segments the show has offered us. And Kei likes The Shawshank Redemption, kid has good taste.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I though the second part worked really well, one of the better segment. Both parent were also great, they have small role but there extremely effective in them.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
Was Akane hinting that she appeared in an adult video or is my mind just completely in the gutter?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7