• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ponycan USA Comments on Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers' Standard Blu-ray/DVD Cancellation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razzuel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Uh huh, PonyCan USA hates people that can't afford their collector's editions, and pulled a bait and switch just to get your hopes up. That's completely logical and totally not projecting your misplaced ire. /sarcasm

I understand reverse importation fears are very much still a thing, but saying it's to completely snuff the idea of short turnaround times is a little too conspiracy theory for me. I doubt the standard editions came about without any approval from the Japanese side of the house.

The simplest explanation is that Rokka is just not selling enough on both sides of the globe, which is more a problem with the show itself, than the way it's being released.

Also, they are probably contractually barred or it doesn't make good business sense to explain why they canceled the standard editions. This is standard practice; you don't break contract and you don't throw business partners under the bus. At least they had the courtesy to make an announcement.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
The problem is that they're licensing shows with no hope of sales to begin with.

As far as I understand Ponycan is a producer and they are distributing their own shows. This isn't really a licensing issues. They are running a Japanese sales model must like Aniplex of America is. Now you can argue that AoA has much more popular shows and that is why the Japanese model can work for them and not Ponycan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Nope. Sorry PonyCan but this is a crappy explanation and you'd have frankly done better not saying anything at all. These guys really aren't gonna have much of a future if they can't figure out how to make something that works better for them. Merely imitating AoA's business model isn't going to fly. They don't have the catalog for it and if they pull stunts like this in the future (and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last time something like this happens), fans aren't going to be willing to trust them either.

Maybe it's time to to go back to the drawing board. Evil or Very Mad
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
Nyron wrote:
The problem is that they're licensing shows with no hope of sales to begin with.

As far as I understand Ponycan is a producer and they are distributing their own shows. This isn't really a licensing issues. They are running a Japanese sales model must like Aniplex of America is. Now you can argue that AoA has much more popular shows and that is why the Japanese model can work for them and not Ponycan.

Exactly and that is why Ponycan are putting all his eggs in the collectors basket.
Aniplex can offer different options ( still expensive) because his shows are more popular.
For Ponycan to make any sort of profit with this show, have to turn to the most stable and profitable market, the collectors that don't care about how expensive the BD are, only if have good extras.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Well I really dont care if they canceled the standard edition the anime was horable anyways but the way it seem that it didn't do well in japan and there trying to make it up here If they want to make it up they will drop the priece of collector's edition
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's why we have recently added additional gift with purchase to make the collector's edition more attractive to the fan to possess.

Here's the thing:
I don't give a damn about any of the excess junk that these modern 'collectors editions' offer. I just like to have the show itself.

Hell, half the reason I avoid most Aniplex releases is because they throw in all that tacky stuff.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
@Lyn I agree when it just a bunch of postcards which I probably just look at once and move on. Seriously PonyCan you should have stayed quiet this just makes you look worse
Razzuel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
If they didn't say anything, you'd be complaining that they never acknowledged the cancellation of their standard editions. Although, in that case, it'd be a lot more understandable considering not saying anything is usually the worse option.
Arakiba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Welp, not going to buy any Ponycan products in the future after this (which, at least at the moment, isn't that hard to do, since the only other thing they have that I would want is Etotama. Pity though, I really did enjoy that series and was considering buying the CE, even. Not now, though)
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how they can even market Rokka for that price with a straight face. The real adventure hasn't even begun, the animation was awful, the series is nearing a flop in Japan, and yet these 12 episodes are still somehow worth more than $200 with some extra bells and whistles.

Yuki Yuna I could understand: it's almost on par with Madoka Magica for a short and remarkable magical girl series. Euphonium might be able to get by, just because KyoAni.

On the other hand, with this news, I imagine that Ponycan is predicting that Rokka won't be getting a second season any time soon Rolling Eyes
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This may be the worst PR spiel I have ever heard. So kudos for that, I guess.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
So the only releases they'll ever do are Collector's Editions now? But then wouldn't that be their standard version? You can't have a Collector's Version without a standard version, doesn't even have to be the same show but there has to be just a bare version of something somewhere. Never mind, it's not important.

They want to find ways to further please the fans who will buy future releases, that's the important thing. But when I read that comment, what I heard was "The standard release was outselling the Collector's Edition, what's wrong with you people? The Collector's Edition comes with stuff and stuff is important! Here, have some more stuff! Now will you buy it?"

Could be worse, they could do a standard release where all you get is the stuff and you have to buy the Collector's Edition in order to get the show. Oh no, I'm giving them ideas again...

Their main problem is they're trying to justify the price point rather than have the show justify the Collector's Edition version but they can't even get that kind of thinking right. The people who are going to buy the show at that price are going to buy the show at that price, I can't imagine a lot of fence sitters thinking "if only if it came with a few more stickers then I'd buy it."
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
It's sad since I wanted to get into this anime and watch it legally. But at that price tag and it's not even a complete set. Sorry I'm out. I'll take my money elsewhere.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it would have been better if they just kept quiet. Their statement irritates even me. I buy Aniplex products every now and then, but this nonsense makes me not want to support Ponycan even if they get something that I desperately want which they haven't yet luckily for me. I'd already be in an iffy situation since they're even more expensive than Aniplex to begin with.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
It's sad since I wanted to get into this anime and watch it legally. But at that price tag and it's not even a complete set. Sorry I'm out. I'll take my money elsewhere.

It's available to watch on Crunchyroll for free worldwide, except in Asia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7