• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Maryland Governor Seeks Federal Funding After Riding Japan's Maglev Train

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Amtrak was created because the passenger rail business was losing money hand over fist

... or so say the railroad owners because it was more profitable to transport cargo that can be late by an hour or more. I mean, "creative accounting" was not invented by hollywood.
Amtrak has never had a year where its revenue has reached its operating costs, let alone enough to actually keep it going.
Quote:
Yet the automobile was also introduced in Japan and Europe and they have dandy transportation systems, can any of our european anime fans tell me I am wrong?
Americans have always been more spread out than Europeans - where I live, for example, the country where the capital is centered in is the only one that's urban; every last one of the rest of the counties in its metropolitan area are very much rural. European countries have a lot less land and some even have restrictions on extending urban development, so they're inherently more compact and mass transit is more viable. Actually, America being a rural country helps answer a lot of things, so it's something to keep in mind.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy anytime someone wants to improve mass transit in our area, but I think our existing infrastructure needs to be fixed up before we go for some whole new system, which the maglev seems to be. Japan has bullet trains and high speed rail, but they also have a huge consumer base that uses that in tandem with commuter and slower trains. Their whole rail system seems better than ours by a long shot. That's why I think they can support newer train tech better. I do wish more people used trains stateside - it just feels like a big catch 22.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
As others have said, no one wants to spend money on infrastructure. They would rather have gas lines blow up houses killing people, and water mains to burst flooding neighborhoods and wash cars away, than spending the big bucks to fix the problems.

Kinda sad that Japan is better at making rail technology workable for them.

When the next 'Carrington Event' solar storm hits us, and the power goes out for good (because we didn't invest our money in updating our electrical grid), be prepared to walk for several days or months to where your local representatives and senators are with pitchforks and torches. But hurry before the cannibals get them first, or you.
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the future of passenger trains in the U.S., when I was around 8 years old, I learned that the first railroad bridge across the Mississippi was built in 1856. It's embarrassing for me to say this, but I was a train otaku at that time.
Michformer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Color me surprised that a republican would want to invest in trains, which at least in the east coast of the USA should be the first means of transportation (like in Europe or Japan) instead of airplanes.

As if Republicans were, by nature, technophobic -_-

Leave your political labels at the door.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
yaki-udon wrote:
Speaking of the future of passenger trains in the U.S., when I was around 8 years old, I learned that the first railroad bridge across the Mississippi was built in 1856. It's embarrassing for me to say this, but I was a train otaku at that time.
I was quite train obsessed at that age as well and even had a few model train kits(including one James kit(why can't Shiny Time Station have a DVD release?) and one that even had a locomotive that puffed!). I don't think a train phase is all that uncommon, though it might be less so with Thomas being less popular these days.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Amtrak has never had a year where its revenue has reached its operating costs, let alone enough to actually keep it going.

It's a bit more complex than that: "operating costs" includes track-access fees, and railways in the US are a regulated monopoly, including the fees they charge for access.

Which is to say "amtrak doesn't have enough revenue to cover its operating costs" largely reflects policy decisions rather than economics.

[and the low ticket prices charged has to allow for the fact that road transport isn't charged anything near cost recovery and most airlines spend half their time bankrupt. Again, policy decisions: as you act in the world, you change the world, and so change how you should act.]

A lot of the problems in the post-war period with passenger rail were the result of life-expired infrastructure: rail vehicles and plant lasts about fifty years, thirty in good condition. There'd been some large recapitalisations on either side of the first world war in the US, which basically started to get shagged out in the fifties: with collapsing passenger numbers -- subsidised roads -- there wasn't the money to upgrade. In japan, the rail system was built much more recently -- the toukaidou line opened in 1889! -- and with the way the cycles worked and the repairs from war damage it meant that the equipment didn't start to fall over until the '70s, by which time the economics of transport were rather different.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Michformer wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Color me surprised that a republican would want to invest in trains, which at least in the east coast of the USA should be the first means of transportation (like in Europe or Japan) instead of airplanes.

As if Republicans were, by nature, technophobic -_-

My comment was in the lines of, the republicans hate to invest in anything "state controlled", be it education, health/care, space programs, etc. Since Amtrak is state controlled, a republican governor ought to hate investing it to, therefore my surprise.

But we have a saying over here "If the suit is your size, then put it on!" (si te cayo el saco, pontelo!).

BTW, I don't see your political label hang at the door Laughing
niastyle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Also, the excuse to find a place to put a high-speed maglev has also been suggested between Las Vegas and Los Angeles. (Where it would be more at home, with more open spaces that need transversing quickly, considering that Vegas doesn't even have an Amtrak stop yet.)

Actually it's not "yet", but "anymore". There used to be an Amtrak station in Las Vegas, but it closed in 1997. It used to be in the Plaza Hotel downtown. Before I moved here to Vegas in 95 from New York, the first 3 times I visited was by Amtrak. I was surprised and disappointed when Amtrak stopped service here.

I wish there was a high speed train that went from Vegas to LA. It would certainly cut down on the traffic at airports and on the 1 two lane highway into California. That is a service that is desperately needed.
Nanica54

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:

In general, Americans themselves are less than enthusiastic about anything public transportation

It depends on where one lives. Here in and around Boston, Mass. a lot of people, not just the poor, take public transportation to get around: buses, trains and commuter rail. Ridership has been steadily increasing for the last several years. Yet, service is abysmal (last winter was particularly bad), trains are old, the agency running the system is heavily in debt, etc. No one wants to fix it. Likewise, not enough money is being spent on road upkeep or anything infrastructure-related around here and everything is old. My feeling is that tax dollars are not being used appropriately and if we really wanted, in this area we could have great public transportation and also a maglev to connect us to other major cities. I would definitely take it over a plane ride.
chrisbachmann

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Maryland was going to do one in the late 90's early 00's along I-95. A lot of the zoning is already in place from that effort, so it may actually come to be this time. The previous Republican Governor got the ICC built despite complaints, but didn't plan for a Metro route, which would have been a good idea. Hogan may be looking at this as his Maryland legacy. There has also been some advocating for a more regional approach. ABCD-E-FG-H. First linking the 4 major population centers in central MD (Annapolis, Baltimore, Columbia, DC), adding on the Eastern shore, link up for Frederick and Gaithersburg, then up to Hagerstown. This may be the first part of the network?
Greboruri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Shinkansen fare from Hakata Station (Fukuoka) to Tokyo station will run you ¥21,810.

But it’s actually cheaper to take to take the Ainokaze Toyama Railway from Hakata to Toyama station, then get on the shinkansen to Tokyo. Like nearly ¥9,000 cheaper. The time is roughly the same, so why in hell would you make it more expensive for yourself? Also I don’t think you’re factoring time (and cost) to get from Narita to Tokyo itself.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:35 am Reply with quote
AFAIK, Amtrak as a whole isn't profitable, though not sure about the Northeast Corridor. Even the Concorde, the only supersonic passenger airliner, had to be mothballed.

"The US passenger rail system is poor. This is because railroads in the United States are focused on freight transport. If you look at the data for the cost of freight transport, the United States actually has one of the best freight systems in the world (in terms of cost to move stuff around). There's an inherent trade-off at play here - freight and passenger trains often travel on the same rails, with the difference being that nobody cares if freight travels slowly but they do care if passenger trains travel slowly. Higher speed tracks require more maintenance, however. So you can either have fast passenger trains but expensive freight, or slow passenger trains but inexpensive freight. Since the automobile dominates in the US, it makes perfect sense to favor freight."

Developing maglev means laying out a whole new set of rails. Has to be straighter with shallow curves and elevated in many areas since there can't be railroad crossings where the train has to slow down every time. Can get quite expensive, particularly if eminent domain has be used to fight resisting land owners.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
As far as I understand it, in the USA you have a freight railway which happens to have some passenger traffic run on it. Since the tracks are owned by the freight companies, they understandably prioritise their own trains above Amtrak's.

Here in the UK, we have a passenger railway which happens to also have some freight traffic. Freight trains are the lowest in the pecking order here, and will frequently be stopped to let passenger trains pass, especially on single track lines. The tracks are owned by the government, and all the train companies have to buy access rights to run their trains over them.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about Britain, but the trains I've seen here can easily several miles long(with multiple front and back locomotives for hilly areas); I'm not even sure there's a length limit on those things beyond what the couplings will bear. It's quite the fascinating sight - if you're not the unfortunate bastard stuck behind it for ten or twenty minutes.

There are some places going to light rail(no freight) systems to get around the issue, but at least around here they just bought track from the railroad so they only got one line that goes back and forth from one suburb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4