• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Host Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' Film's World Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
nbahn wrote:
If you really do find penguintruth's comments as odious as you make out, then report the comment. Or PM a(n) moderator/admin.

The thing is, penguintruth was acting really obnoxious but there wasn't anything to actually report him for. He wasn't breaking any specific rules that could be cited in a post report. I would've reported him myself had I believed that something concrete would have been done about it.

I just want to point something out for everyone. There's violating the letter of the rules, and the spirit of the rules. We've been cracking down on the latter a bit more as of late for repeat offenders who consistently push the line while not outright stepping over it. I'm not accusing anyone here of it, I'm just making a point. So if you think a user is doing the latter we do ask you report them. We will read and consider the reports. More immediate action may not be taken if they don't outright violate the rules, but if they push the line repeatedly and we get reports of it from users then we can and will take action. Thank you.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I sure can't wait for people to bitch it isn't their precious Funimation English dub cast.

They'll get to it eventually, Resurrection of FFS. It takes time and I'm sure it'll be just as good as BoG's dub was (and it was quite good).

Meanwhile, bask in the talents of Masako Nozawa, Ryo Horikawa, and Toshio Furukawa.

Rinkwolf wrote:

Oh, you mean like you did when they announced that they are going to show the Dub only with Battle of Gods. The pot calling the kettle black.

penguintruth wrote:

You literally can't read a few posts above this one when I tear this argument apart as false equivalence?

{Fixed your quotations. Please read this.

*sigh* I said that I wouldn't tolerate anymore potshots, and I meant it. If you have a problem with a posting, then report it -- and be sure to include your reasons for reporting said posting. ~nbahn}

================================================

{Double-posting is frowned upon. ~nbahn}

penguintruth wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I can freely admit that the old dub had some issues but they've dubbed the entire show over so many times that there's no real point in watching the old one. Now that they actually have proper Japanese material and generally have a better idea of what they're doing, the dub's quality has increased dramatically. No more is that obvious than in Battle of Gods which sounds amazing[

I'm not disputing that. I was very impressed with the English dub of Battle of Gods and I imagine the English dub of this will be good, too. My problem is that people are so unwilling to give the original Japanese cast of DBZ a chance because they've been so brainwashed by nostalgia for what they grew up watching on Toonami.

The Japanese cast are almost all celebrated veterans who were already considered amazing BEFORE DB was animated, nevermind their internationally beloved performances in this franchise. I would be delighted to have the chance to watch this movie in Japanese in the theaters (though I don't live in the area this is premiering, so that's out).

{Deleted potshots. If you have a problem with a posting, then report it -- and be sure to include your reasons for reporting said posting. ~nbahn}
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
The season sets are cropped because that's what the "mainstream consumer" wanted. DBZ draws in more people than just those that watch anime.

Funimation likes to say that, but if that was really the case, how come 4:3 Kai has been so successful on Nicktoons, The CW and now Cartoon Network? Shouldn't the mainstream casual viewer turn the TV off in disgust at the video not filling their screen? I think the reality of the situation is something Funimation would rather not admit to. They're making up reasons to resell people Dragon Ball Z, and widescreen is one easily manufactured way to do that. Ensuring it's cheaper, released out of striking distance from prior initiatives, and contains more episodes than the 4:3 alternatives make it easy to see why that's the "preferred" way for casual consumption.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Sorry, but no, anyone with english as a primary language that has heard the Japanese dub of Goku has broke out in laughter and promptly switched to the dub (seen and tested by me on multiple people), the way you are side stepping and shifting blame to what you WANT to believe is the issue is laughable. No reasonable person would be able to take in the god awful acting and pitch of the Japanese Voice of Goku and still like it after that. No normal person would thing it okay, passable or common place for a grow man to sound like a constipated 7 year old girl.

Now enough about that. Let's talk about the real problem here. The one that is Brainwashed is you, by the elitist view point and believing that the Mangaka can do no wrong with the adaption of his work into other media he has no experience or place being in is the real issue. The Mangaka writes and draws the manga, his profession is in Manga, not anime or casting. Just because he says it's good doesn't mean it is. You just want to believe it is BECAUSE the Mangaka says it is and anyone disagreeing with you is disagreeing with him and you just can't stand that on principal alone and no logical thought to back it up.

Nozawa's Son Goku follows the speech patterns Toriyama laid out for the character in his manga, delivering the lines in a folksy, informal manner. And her pitch is perfect for the character because what Son Goku is, is a big folksy manchild, and not a meaty, noble champion. The entire reason that Goku is a good character is that he's kind of a crazy, off-beat fighting nut who somehow has a good heart, and Nozawa, already an accomplished veteran voice actor before Toriyama ever heard a tape of her (she started acting at the age of 2), is perfect in capturing that, and is beloved worldwide for her performance, except in America, because we've only ever been exposed with what Funimation gave us.

Now if that doesn't lead any rational person to the inexorable conclusion that North American DBZ fans prefer their English voice for the character based mostly, if not solely on nostalgia, I don't know what will.

Fact is, Toriyama heard the voice and said:

Toriyama in TV Anime Guide: Dragon Ball Tenka’ichi Densetsu wrote:

So, even listening to Nozawa-san’s voice on the tape, it didn’t occur to me that she was a veteran; it was purely that Nozawa-san matched my own internal image of Goku’s voice.

And I don't want to hear any backpedaling about how Nozawa was "okay for child Goku, but not adult Goku". There is a CLEAR demarcation between her child Goku and her adult Goku. It's an evolution of the voice.

If still you prefer the English dub voice, fine. But your disrespect for the original voice shows that you have no concept of the character and little regard for how the show is intended. Just like Funimation had little regard all those years ago when they hired most of their English dub cast. Fortunately, time improved most of them.

I have confidence the English version of this movie will be good, but exposure to the Japanese version wouldn't hurt some of the NA fans that wouldn't normally give it a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sanyo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Quote:
FUNimation Entertainment announced on Sunday that it has licensed the film Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' (Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F)

So that's the official English title? I thought it would be F's Resurrection or something similar, not Resurrection 'F'.
Does it really matter to be honest?
dynamixx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I can freely admit that the old dub had some issues but they've dubbed the entire show over so many times that there's no real point in watching the old one. Now that they actually have proper Japanese material and generally have a better idea of what they're doing, the dub's quality has increased dramatically. No more is that obvious than in Battle of Gods which sounds amazing[

penguintruth wrote:

I'm not disputing that. I was very impressed with the English dub of Battle of Gods and I imagine the English dub of this will be good, too. My problem is that people are so unwilling to give the original Japanese cast of DBZ a chance because they've been so brainwashed by nostalgia for what they grew up watching on Toonami.

The Japanese cast are almost all celebrated veterans who were already considered amazing BEFORE DB was animated, nevermind their internationally beloved performances in this franchise. I would be delighted to have the chance to watch this movie in Japanese in the theaters (though I don't live in the area this is premiering, so that's out).

Rinkwolf wrote:

Sorry, but no, anyone with english as a primary language that has heard the Japanese dub of Goku has broke out in laughter and promptly switched to the dub (seen and tested by me on multiple people), the way you are side stepping and shifting blame to what you WANT to believe is the issue is laughable. No reasonable person would be able to take in the god awful acting and pitch of the Japanese Voice of Goku and still like it after that. No normal person would thing it okay, passable or common place for a grow man to sound like a constipated 7 year old girl.

Now enough about that. Let's talk about the real problem here. The one that is Brainwashed is you, by the elitist view point and believing that the Mangaka can do no wrong with the adaption of his work into other media he has no experience or place being in is the real issue. The Mangaka writes and draws the manga, his profession is in Manga, not anime or casting. Just because he says it's good doesn't mean it is. You just want to believe it is BECAUSE the Mangaka says it is and anyone disagreeing with you is disagreeing with him and you just can't stand that on principal alone and no logical thought to back it up.

{Fixed your inline quotes for you. Please read this. ~nbahn}
So are you saying that I am not a normal person if I do enjoy DB in original? I grew up on the French and Japanese version. Really, I don't mind people and children prefering dubs in their native language, so please, a little bit of manners in here.

BTW. great news! We will get the movie sooner than before!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
Sanyo wrote:
Does it really matter to be honest?

Not really, it's more of a footnote remark than a real issue with the title. It's just that F's Resurrection sounds like a sentence, while Resurrection 'F' sounds like a keybind command in an RPG or something

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Sorry, but no, anyone with english as a primary language that has heard the Japanese dub of Goku has broke out in laughter and promptly switched to the dub

Please don't speak for everyone. I prefer subbed Dragonball Z to the English dub immensely.
KennstarYusuke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
Well, whatever your preference, it seems like there's going to be a much shorter turn around this time, which is great because we won't have to wait over a year to see the movie in the West (assuming you didn't watch the fansubs).
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
dynamixx wrote:

Rinkwolf wrote:

{Fixed your inline quotes for you. Please read this. ~nbahn}
So are you saying that I am not a normal person if I do enjoy DB in original? I grew up on the French and Japanese version. Really, I don't mind people and children prefering dubs in their native language, so please, a little bit of manners in here.

BTW. great news! We will get the movie sooner than before!

I highlighted and underlined the part that you seem to have missed.
{I've deleted unnecessary quotes for you. Please read this -- in -- its -- entirety. ~nbahn}
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
@PenguinTruth It doesn't really matter if a senior producer or mangaka approves or selects a voice actor. We could use all sorts of examples of people approved or selected by the original creator/director/produced, who are rejected for one reason or another. Vic Mignogna is rejected by you, but the fact remains that the Production Committee in Japan selected him to be Edward Elric. He's not supposed to sound by Romi Park. For one, I'd argue Vic is a fantastic Edward, but that's just me.

Nozawa's Goku does seem not fit the body type or visuals of Goku. Unlike let's say Ryusei Nakao's Freeza, who contrary to popular belief is not feminine, but rather sophisticated in his appearance and facial expressions or the various Majin Boos, in which the VAs I've heard change their voice to match the appearance. I refuse to make direct comparisons with Schemmel, but IMO, fitting the appearance is more important than what Toriyama said. Remember, this is the same man who forgot almost everything prior to BOG and hasn't really remembered much at all.

Your "creator is word of God" argument can also apply to Shin Cutie Honey. The Japanese creator, Go Nagai hand selected Jessica Cavello as Honey. She's not that great of an actress, to be honest and language barriers don't help.

Or what about Love Hina's dub? Or most Gundam dubs?(not including Origin or Unicorn since those are more special)

Finally, the chief director of Gurren Lagann did not work with the original VA cast. A sound director did. Not going judge the cast, but most people enjoyed that.

Overall, creator=/=infallible. That's kinda the point. You're supposed to challenge directors and creators and call them out when something odd occurs.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The F stand for Freeza? Thank you, captain Obvious. I think people figure that one out after the original announcement. Laughing

Anyway, I'm waiting for the BD. I bet's it'll be another directors' cut with extra footage along the lines.

About the dub/sub "debate", I can't exactly comment, since I'm not American, and thus never watch dubs. I've heard the dub, and quite honestly, the voices for Goku and Vegeta are quite good. Still, anyone insulting the original Japanese voices, saying they burst into laughter when they heard them, is ignorant at best and arrogantly annoying at worst. Not people I'd associate myself with.
danny.dement.5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I sure can't wait for people to bitch it isn't their precious Funimation English dub cast.

They'll get to it eventually, Resurrection of FFS. It takes time and I'm sure it'll be just as good as BoG's dub was (and it was quite good).

Meanwhile, bask in the talents of Masako Nozawa, Ryo Horikawa, and Toshio Furukawa.

Rinkwolf wrote:

Oh, you mean like you did when they announced that they are going to show the Dub only with Battle of Gods. The pot calling the kettle black.

penguintruth wrote:

You literally can't read a few posts above this one when I tear this argument apart as false equivalence?

{I fixed your inline quotes for you. Because you've been here less than 1 year and have less than 100 posts, I am not giving you a strike; rather I'm giving you a mulligan. ~nbahn}
You call that false equivalence? It's not about what's done, it's about wanting to be catered to. Which you appear to have done yourself.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Here's a wild and crazy idea....brace yourselves....why not everyone just let everyone else enjoy the show in whichever language they choose to watch it in? I know, such an earth shattering idea that just pushed moral and societal boundaries. I think we as a species are ready for it though. The future is now.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101, what you are proposing is utter madness. We're nowhere near close to being able to even process such notion. It would take decades of training to be able to accept such a thing. Maybe in the future, humanity will be ready, but for now, we can only hope, and pray for such a time...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4