• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big Hero 6, 'Feast' Win Animated Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Technically, Pixar won all those other awards (Disney was the distributor). This is Disney Animation Studio's first win.

Uh, second... someone with a Frozen avatar should know which one was the first...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
So I take it everyone is perfectly fine with Feast winning Best Animated Short?

No. But it was largely expected to win and it did.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Technically, Pixar won all those other awards (Disney was the distributor). This is Disney Animation Studio's first win.

Uh, second... someone with a Frozen avatar should know which one was the first...

Dammit! Oh yeah that was last year wasn't it (probably the feel-good effect from last year affected the voters this year).

Happiness for Subaru wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:

Then why were they nominated in the first place? Certainly not because of all that merchandise they sold Rolling Eyes

Not marketing in the merchandise sense, marketing as in enticing and otherwise bending over backwards to Academy voters in order to get them to go to screenings of the film. It's more of a budget contest than a popularity contest.

Firstly, the nominees are selected by a special committee (whose members we don't always know), not by the general members. Secondly, GKids in their ANNCast even admitted that they have been somewhat negligent in their campaigning for the Oscars votes - such as not sending out screener DVDs in a timely manner so not giving the voters enough time to have watched it before the voting is due.

Anyhow, Birdman and Grand Budapest Hotel seem to be the big Oscars 2015 winners.

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad "Only Two Weeks a Year, Not A Full Twelve Years Straight, You're Just Lucky No One Died" didn't win.
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
I didn't want Big Hero 6 to win. It wasn't a bad movie, but I thought others deserved it the most.

...However, I'm also a person that likes films outside the animation category, which is why I'm extremely happy with the fact that Birdman won the best film award, and that Iñarritú won best director. He deserves those wins. And also pretty happy that Grand Hotel Budapest got a lot of victories as well. Those two were my favorites out of the nominated ones.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
Tenchi: I think they mean first win for a full-length animated feature.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm just glad "Only Two Weeks a Year, Not A Full Twelve Years Straight, You're Just Lucky No One Died" didn't win.

I'm gonna give it thumbs up for the effort, but nah, not really worth the award.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
I loved Big Hero 6....

...but I still thought How to Train Your Dragon 2 was a better movie. Easily my favorite animated movie of the year...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Well, if it makes ya guys feel better: Smile

The girl who played Big Hero 6's GoGo is the one who played Chi-Chi in Dragonball Evolution.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
If you don't count the community here, everyone else was expecting How to Train Your Dragon 2 to be the big winner judging by how it won at the Golden Globes and at the Annies but seeing Big Hero 6 win makes for quite a big upset but since I do love the film, I really didn't mind at least it got recognition and for those who say that Dragon 2 is better in a technical sense, I would strongly disagree there because the visuals in Big Hero 6 are much more gorgeous.

Every animation nut I've seen keeps praising Dragon 2 to the skies (despite its complete lack of story or characters), and were somehow under the complete apprehension that it would win, despite this breaking one of the founding and unalterable truths of reality:

DREAMWORKS WILL NEVER WIN ANOTHER OSCAR. Razz
Never.
Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever.
EVER.

And I don't mean that in the "Dreamworks Deathwatch" sense that they have only two or three more films left to find that out--Even if their studio lived for another thousand years (we know Katzenberg, being a cockroach, is unkillable and will survive the apocalypse), and bound, gagged, and shanghaied every single ex-Disney/Pixar director who ever wandered more than 50 yards away from Burbank, they will have to be content to live with the fantasy that Wallace & Grommit was, quote-fingers, "their" film, when we all know that, spiritually, it wasn't.
Because it will never happen again under their own power. And that gives us hope for the universe. Smile
Drac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Everything nominated was better than this toy commercial.

Think about it though, why was The Lego Movie excluded despite its big box office and rave reviews from critics? Because it was upfront about being a movie about a toy brand. BH6 gets special treatment because it hides behind the celebrated legacy of the Disney brand which goes back way before it was turned into a massive corporation.

The US animation industry Oscar members want to project the idea that Animation is art so they nominate films like Song of the Sea and Princess Kaguya because those are the sort of films they wish they were still making but can't. They have zero chance in winning but it makes the category look good.
insert name here

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Where's Kanye when you need him? Gah!"

If Kanye West had just randomly got up on stage for my man Takahata and trashed the proceedings and winners like he did for Beyonce twice, I would have vocally defended every ill considered public statement, every paparazzi assault incident, every questionable personal choice on his part from now until my dying breath.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
I am satisfied with this result.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
The Oscars are a joke.

I knew the "fix" was in the moment The Lego Movie didn't even get a nomination, despite crushing the other nominations on Rotten Tomatoes (and in box office take? If I remember correctly.).

Big Hero 6 was "okay," certainly not spectacular in any regard (then again, that turd Frozen really lowered the bar last year, so color me not surprised).

How to Train 2 wasn't as good as the first movie, yet it got a nomination.

I have no issues with the other nominations and would have preferred they won (despite already guessing they wouldn't), with The Lego Movie not even allowed to compete (in a race they'd win).
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
sim0n2170 wrote:
I am satisfied with this result.

I'm one of the few people who are too - I haven't seen Princess Kaguya, but even if I did think it was the best movie ever made I just honestly never actually expect anime to win anymore unless they manage to do pretty well at the box office, and I don't even think I saw a single theatre that was screening Kaguya. Sad (which is why I haven't seen it, actually)

That and...I honestly did enjoy BH6. I thought it was cute and fun, and sometimes that's honestly all it takes for me. On the other hand, I can't stand Frozen, but now I know how the fans feel about the hate that it gets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7