• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Trips to the Anime Underworld

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
For the poll, other options are nice (someone needs to add Saiunkoku)...
but nothing beats the wonderful squishy perfection that is Gosick.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Maltaotaku wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
I see the poll has a couple things that never did come out. xxxHOLiC Kei can't really be "rescued" if Funi never licensed it.

Technically it can...For Example Hell Girl..the first season got licensed by Funimation but Sentai got the second and third season instead..Also recently Free! second season got licensed by Funimation but the first season got licensed by Discotek...just because one series got licensed by one company can't mean that another company won't get the license rights and the release it instead

The real crime is that for the second season and ova;s to never get licensed by anybody and yet the first season and movie did is no justice...Even if it is a sub only release it should be made available to the western market cause there is still quite a fan base for it.

Seasons are still separate licenses, which is why some seasons of shows went to other companies. Those are examples of successful purchases, whereas Funi never had plans to release Kei. It can't be "rescued" if NO ONE had it in the first place. That's what a license rescue is.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Higurashi needs to be rescued and have BOTH SEASONS released. Don't care about the OVAs, but I'm not buying it until someone puts out Kai.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't realized that there was a formal definition of "license rescue". Any anime license that is not currently known to be held by a North American company potentially needs to be "rescued" from oblivion.

I would make an exception for any of this season's shows since we may simply not know yet. Of course there are a large number of shows that deserve oblivion, but that is a different story. Laughing
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I hadn't realized that there was a formal definition of "license rescue". Any anime license that is not currently known to be held by a North American company potentially needs to be "rescued" from oblivion.

I haven't heard it used any other way. A "license rescue" has always been used to say "remember that old company that localized X show? Well, X company now brought it back, 'rescuing' the license". Anything else would pretty much just be a new license, since one was never made in the first place.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
that license rescue list is wack!

Highschool of the Dead?
Kino's Journey? The two movies never been licensend but the TV is still out.
Banner of the Stars - rescued by Funi in their Bandai grab...still waiting
Index?

Lodoss War all the way.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
@Sheleigha
Oh, I agree, that is the way the term is generally used. However the current poll is "just for fun" in any case. I don't think we need to be excessively picky if someone adds a show never licensed.

When you come down to it, a show that has a terminated license is in the same situation with one never licensed. I would go further. To the extent that we are talking about issuing the show in DVD/Bluray form, I would include a few shows on Crunchyroll that have never been issued any other way.

If you can't go online and order the show from a primary market dealer, the show needs "rescue" or something like that. This especially in current times when a show more than a year old is often forgotten.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
For the new poll I added Monster. That is such an amazing series that deserves to be fully released. F-you Viz Media.

I still have the first (and only) boxset with the first fifteen episodes.

Sad

Me too. Sad I bought it even after I figured we wouldn't be getting any more of the show, since it didn't seem right not to own it.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
What about Maison Ikkoku? Viz rescued Ranma 1/2, so why not save everyone's favorite romantic drama about a boarding house and the residents that live there?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
Shaterri wrote:
The other shows that jumped to mind for me (Kaiba and Denno Coil) aren't rescues since somehow neither got licensed in the first place.
I haven't checked recently but, as with other shows mentioned in this thread, Dennou Coil is/was available in Australia - which is where I sourced my copy. (The same can be said, thankfully, of Chihayafuru - sadly neglected in the rest of the world.)

Dennou Coil is still available. I think that, in the last few months or so, Siren Visual did a new release of the entire series, where previously they had released it in 2 volumes.

Another Siren Visual title, that is listed for a rescue, is Monster. They finished releasing the whole series near the end of 2014. So, it is another that looks strange on this list for me, as it is readily available here.

Same goes with Gosick. I bought that one from Madman last...October, I think. Inuyasha, another Madman series, is listed here. The whole series and movies is readily available. Should start saving some money to buy it myself, have been meaning to do so! Laughing

Personally, I think that my list of what I'd like to see licensed is longer than what I'd like to see rescued. So, I could only think of one series I'd like rescued, Scrapped Princess. It was released by Bandai, and sets are still around...for $100US...

I really enjoyed the Chaika anime, I decided to check out the author's earlier work that had received an anime adaption. Enjoyed it too. I'm definitely going to be buying Chaika when Hanabee release it on disc, and would like to be able to own Scrapped Princess too.

Last edited by Ali07 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sango chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Tokyou mew mew and You're under arrest. I liked the manga for Tokyou mew mew, but 4kids kinda killed the anime and only released 26 out of 52(?). It needs a redub and a proper release.

I love You're under arrest. It needs to be rescued and re-released. so does the movies and OVA's specials. The dub is fine with some exceptions here and there, but I would love to see this re-released so I can own the first season. I have the second and third seasons that sentai released and I have the disk that has the 5? ova's on it with the dub. I would love to own the whole thing. though the third season wasn't the greatest...

and Lucky Star. I would like the last three Dvd's without paying 200 dollars for them or the complete boxset.........

and Tales of Abyss. I don't know if they stopped printing that or what, but if they did, I would like that also re-printed so I can buy it.

oh and the OVA's for Sakura Wars too.

....why is Index on here? they released both the first and second season's along with the movie. they even put the first season in a complete pack. which I'm also waiting to happen for the third season of Shakugan no shana, the season season of Index and the second season of Railgun

and when are you going to get the Strike Witches movie , Funi....

Last edited by Sango chan on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
@wonderwomanhero

I wouldn't be surprised if Viz has never let go of the licenses for any of Rumiko Takahashi's stuff. The only anime of hers they didn't have was Urusei Yatsura. They had the manga for that and couldn't sell it.

On Maison Ikkoku, it sold very poorly. I remember having to scramble to find a place to even buy the last couple of sets. It would be nice if they put out a Bluray version following Ranma 1/2, but don't count on it.

@Sango chan
The OAV's of You're Under Arrest from AnimEigo had 4 episodes. These are identical to the first four episodes of the first season. After the end of the first season (51 episodes). They had a set of 20 mini episodes and a single full episode. This may be what you are thinking of as an additional OAV, however, they were shown on TV. AnimEigo included the full length episode as the 52nd episode when they issued the first season. ADV issued the 20 mini episodes on a single disk. I should point out that 8 of the original 13 disks of the first season are still available from AnimEigo direct (cheap $7 each). The show is episodic enough that they should be worth watching.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I voted for Urusei Yatsura. A Bluray version would cut down on the number of disks substantially. The Animeigo version stands at 72 disks presently.

I'll second that, since it was "trapped" in its garage-company origins since the birth of subtitled anime, before the days of boxsets or professional dubs, back when companies were terrified of having to release 72 single disks. (50 for the TV series alone.)
Viz's current Ranma 1/2 sets (reminding us of the glory days of the Rumiko Takahashi Trilogy Very Happy ) are a good example of what we can do today on Blu-ray that we should have been doing back then.
Kickstarter Bubblegum Crisis all you want, we're NEVER getting our AnimEigo of the early 90's back again.

Oh, and that eternally annoying fan question at the time of "But wouldn't Lum have some kind of strange foreign accent?", to which the answer was finally, demonstratably, and successfully "NO" in AnimEigo's own feature-movie dubs.
(The CPM Beautiful Dreamer dub wasn't bad, just that they didn't have a dub script, clunkily read out the sub script, hadn't watched the series, and pretty much sight-read the characters from what they saw in the movie.)
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't sure if Zoids series meant Zoids: Chaotic Century so I added it to the list.

Zoids: Chaotic Century is one of my favorite series. It came out before I really started into collecting anime.

I felt like this series did every thing right with pertaining to the story telling; It had that Walt Disney feel to it.

Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
It's heartening to see Higurashi currently at the top of the list. But, given that I already own all of season one in English, I voted for Nichijou.

I'd certainly love to add a physical English release of Kai to my collection, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7