• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Discussed Super Mario Film With Hollywood's Avi Arad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What I find kind of odd is that Paramount never got attacked over Team America: World Police despite Kim Jong-Il being the film's villain, mocking him relentlessly (he even sings a musical number), and him getting impaled on a German Kaiser helmet.

Probably because back then (in 2005) North Korea didn't have a cyber-hacking team like they have now (if it's ever confirmed true). This is 2014, things would be a bit different in North Korea. Also this was under Kim Jong il, who was noted to be an avid film fan, maybe that's why Team America: World Police nor Paramount has ever suffered from major criticism from the regime (although I did recall North Korea has asked Czech Republic to ban the film). But Kim Jong Un, I don't know if he understood parody very well, and probably wasn't happy with this film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Probably because back then (in 2005) North Korea didn't have a cyber-hacking team like they have now (if it's ever confirmed true).

Although considering they couldn't even convincingly Photoshop extra landing craft into an amateurishly doctored military photo (using computers that literally looked like they came from the 60's), I find that claim understandably dubious.
North Korea has become the political equivalent of Internet trolls who....don't know how to use the Internet. Razz
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
So wish this was gonna happen, Genndy would be perfect for the job!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
PusoPimp wrote:

(No, really, do people still say that nowadays in the 10's, even after Hotel Transylvania??) Confused
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
He's very good with action sequences, and still is. (Sym-Bionic Titan's fight scenes were, I dare say, a step above Samurai Jack's, especially the swordfight in "Under the Three Moons.") He's just not quite as good with telling a 2-hour story.

He was the person I admired the most when I was younger, but I don't really see why he's associated with a Super Mario movie. Mario games don't have Tartakovsky-style fights the way a Bayonetta game or even a NUNS game could.

As far as Nintendo franchises go, I think he could do good fight scenes for a story based on The Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid, or Kid Icarus though. They lend themselves well to the rapid-paced, weapons-based combat that makes extensive use of the surrounding environments and surprise attacks that's a characteristic of his.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
He's very good with action sequences, and still is. (Sym-Bionic Titan's fight scenes were, I dare say, a step above Samurai Jack's, especiaslly the swordfight in "Under the Three Moons.") He's just not quite as good with telling a 2-hour story.

He was the person I admired the most when I was younger, but I don't really see why he's associated with a Super Mario movie. Mario games don't have Tartakovsky-style fights the way a Bayonetta game or even a NUNS game could.

We already had a "Tartakovsky-style animated movie", when Tomm Moore turned "The Secret of the Kells" into a Samurai Jack fanboy movie, and...it's a bit of an overstylized slog.
Go watch THAT one if you're still fantasizing that the 90's Genndy will ever come back, and that'll sate you for a couple of years at least.

As for how the real Genndy would deal with the responsibility and discipline of other people's properties, we have the "lost" first series of Star Wars: Clone Wars to answer that question...The one that current Clone Wars fans either try to pretend never existed, or put up to show how you couldn't trust Cartoon Network to make their own.
Y'know, maybe Genndy was at CN so long, he really doesn't know the difference between "art" and campy deconstructive pop-kitsch anymore.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised to see Genndy Tartakovsky fans. I didn't think he was a good animator. I lump him in with the same category as Butch Hartman and similar kids show network animators in I really don't like their angular, simple looking styles. I've only seen part of Clone Wars and Samurai Jack, but they have really crude looking styles. Star Wars especially has the potential for amazing animation, so seeing it reduced to looking like this was a bit saddening. Star Wars is a universe reliant on detail and beauty.

I can't see him making a Mario cartoon. The colorful, dynamic style of the video games, especially the Mario and Luigi RPG series which have tons of funny and quirky animation on the sprites would be lost. From what I remember of Samurai Jack it was very boring and straightforward, perhaps even worse looking than Clone Wars.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
That's odd. the First Clone Wars show was seen as something of a step up from the actual prequel trilogy when it was new. I still prefer it over the more recent one.

Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken, Butch Hartman, Lauren Faust, Rob Renzetti, and Paul Rudish (there are a few others, but I forget whom) were part of a wave of artists coming out of CalArts at about the same time and, during the 90's, were pretty close to each other. That's probably why their art styles are pretty similar to each other. (While Paul Germain and Joe Ansolabehere were also closely associated with this group initially, they broke off soon afterwards and have their own distinct visual and narrative style.)

Yes, I am a fan of this wave--it's what I grew up with. After all, my avatar's character IS from a series created by one of them (albeit with no further involvement by the time this character was introduced).

It seems like there's been another wave that was borne out of this consisting of at least Ward Pendleton, Rebecca Sugar, and J.G. Quintel, who also grew up with these styles, went to CalArts, and have since been producing content at Cartoon Network.

As for Samurai Jack, it's a very...stylish show (to the extent that most episodes have little substance, but it makes that clear), and you have to know what you're getting into, and know you'd enjoy that sort of thing, to enjoy it. I'm not sure which episodes you saw, but I personally felt this show took some time to find its stride, which I would put roughly at "Episode XVIII: Jack and the Ultra-Robots." Before then, it was a simplistic action show, but from that point onwards, the show became increasingly stylized and the action more intense.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
PusoPimp wrote:

(No, really, do people still say that nowadays in the 10's, even after Hotel Transylvania??) Confused

Hotel Transylvania was in development hell for a while. Tartakovsky was the cleanup crew on that. The fact that it turned out as well as it did is a testament to his ability.

On the subject of this Sony Pictures attack being from North Korea, it has been reported in the past that the DPRK has hired Chinese hackers.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
On the subject of this Sony Pictures attack being from North Korea, it has been reported in the past that the DPRK has hired Chinese hackers.

(Yep...Figured they'd be the movie nuts.)

leafy sea dragon wrote:

As for Samurai Jack, it's a very...stylish show (to the extent that most episodes have little substance, but it makes that clear), and you have to know what you're getting into, and know you'd enjoy that sort of thing, to enjoy it. I'm not sure which episodes you saw, but I personally felt this show took some time to find its stride, which I would put roughly at "Episode XVIII: Jack and the Ultra-Robots." Before then, it was a simplistic action show, but from that point onwards, the show became increasingly stylized and the action more intense.

Personally, thought one of the few funny moments of Duck Dodgers was when Warner Animation poked at CN's "other" popular show's stylistic wretched-excess, art-kitsch design and backhanded anime/J-posing. ("First we need to do the dramatic montage!" "Then let'th get to it, Kurosawa!")
And it would be so easy for the more hopeless fans to call it a "loving" parody, but somehow, I'm just not getting that vibe: Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl7B034tVKg
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Uh, where did you hear that? That's the first time I've heard of it and it wouldn't surprise me, but I highly doubt it since relation between China and North Korea has become strained.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
And it would be so easy for the more hopeless fans to call it a "loving" parody, but somehow, I'm just not getting that vibe: Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl7B034tVKg

Oh yes, that was the very first episode of Duck Dodgers I watched, and I loved it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3