• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Early Anime Site 'Anime Web Turnpike' Goes Offline

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
there goes a part of my child hood, anime turnpike you'll be missed greatly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Memories are coming back. Makes me want to dig out my old PC and see if any of the webcomics I used to read or communities on IRC are still active. I know half of them are probably dead and forgotten, or skeletal remains of what they once were. I'm one more dinosaur to add to the pile, I guess.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Anipike was my childhood. I remember when the site first launched and felt like a kid in a candy store when I browsed through all those fanpages. I learned about Magic Knights Rayearth, Flame of Recca, Fushigi Yugi, Marmalade Boy, Maze, and many other classic titles, that I currently own in my collection, all thanks to Anipike.

Does anyone remember that website that was dedicated to Trunks from DBZ? It had such hilarious content on it and I used to visit it religiously waiting for new stuff to get uploaded. Those were some good times. I also vaguely remember Pocket Bishounen. Very vaguely. God I feel so old. Embarassed

So long Anipike and thank you for welcoming me into the world of Anime. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Brings back memories. I haven't visited the site for over a decade, but back in the day Anime Turnpike was the only place that all the anime links.
PmChivas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
Awww...I now have the feels. I'm sad to see it go as I too was one of the many who used Anime Web Turnpike as a gateway to fan made shrines and other anime related things. I was so inspired by many of the shrines I visited I even got my own GeoCities website (later added 2 more) in the Tokyo Pavilion just to have my name and site listed on this page. Crying or Very sad

Farewell fond memories of the many hours I spent learning all I could about Sailor Moon, Rurouni Kenshin, Escaflowne, Flame of Recca, and Tekkaman Blade. Farewell to hours reading fanfiction before it was all gathered in a single place. Farewell to visiting in October just to see who Trixie was going to cosplay as for Halloween -- and being excited when I could actually recognize the character. Farewell to my early HTML skills and my new to anime shine. Farewell Anime Web Turnpike. Anime cry
chazchaz101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
An archived copy is available from archive.org here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20131229053057/http://anipike.com/
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, chazchaz101.

It looks like even the image galleries are archived, at least some of them. There could be some interesting art there.

I can probably waste enjoy a lot of time seeing how many links are still active.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eternalblue81

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

Does anyone remember that website that was dedicated to Trunks from DBZ? It had such hilarious content on it and I used to visit it religiously waiting for new stuff to get uploaded. Those were some good times.

Temple O' Trunks, maybe?

Sure brings up a lot of nostalgia seeing that Trixie gif and remembering the Anime Turnpike. Back when I first got into anime in the mid-late 90's, it was THE resource for me discovering a lot of different anime and sites I otherwise wouldn't otherwise have known about. While it's sad to see it gone, it really hasn't served any purpose for at least a decade since the internet has changed so much and it's easier to find stuff than it was back then.

Thanks, Anime Turnpike, for the good times.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
eternalblue81 wrote:
Sure brings up a lot of nostalgia seeing that Trixie gif and remembering the Anime Turnpike.
Thanks, Anime Turnpike, for the good times.

Trixie, we never knew ye: Sad
http://comipress.com/backstage/anipike/trixie.php
http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=120544
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3