• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Director of Gundam SEED Thinks Anime Has Too Many Regulations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass 2 was turned from a night show(8/10) to a prime time show(eather a 5 because it looked very good or a 10 for the humour). Season 2 turned into Gundam Seed Destiny by episode 2. The original ending to season 1 also went out the window and most future plans.
The anime became know as Code Train wreck. Comedy Gold ! A must watch. I also though that Psycho Pass was too save and not or deep enough on a character level to compare to SAC or Darker then Black season 1 but to each their own. I loved art sty but stopped around ep 16 or something and came back for the last 5 minutes. At least it got made. 6/10 I am a dystopian snob by the way so maybe it´s a 7. No season 2 for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Banjo wrote:
In my opinion, fan service ruined anime in general. Also I believe it will only get worse and worse in the future.
An opinion based on what? Shows like -Monogatari and Infinite Stratos have sold 10-20k+ while artsy-experimental stuff like Fractale completely bombs. If anything, fanservice is keeping the industry alive.

And more international anime fan will continue to increase criticism (including me) because the reason I stop watching anime because of too much fanservice and less on creativity/innovation in the storyline, there's only quite a few good anime left for me to watch for the last 2 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
"In the mid 2000s, several companies tried selling their BDs for half price, and then concluded that the sales had not increased by any significant numbers. I can't remember what show that were though."

This site wrote a very good 3 part series about this and other nice things last year. Maybe somone can link ?
Also Porsche did the same thing to their cars and it didn´t work. Sales weren´t as hoped because the cars are a status symbol or something ? My history teacher told me so. LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
An opinion based on what? Shows like -Monogatari and Infinite Stratos have sold 10-20k+ while artsy-experimental stuff like Fractale completely bombs. If anything, fanservice is keeping the industry alive.

Have you ever watched Monogatari? It's plenty artsy.

Also, lol at people mad because anime isn't violent or gory enough for them. Graphic violence is just another kind of fanservice.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo, I'd just like to point out your post is a prime poster child example of anime fan entitlement. It reeks of not only entitlemnt, but lack of knowledge of the medium as a whole. You say you support the Sailor Moon remake because you want variation, but why would you support a remake of an old show over the dozens of shoujo anime currently airing? Why not support Pretty Cure, or the upcoming Puri Para which are original titles? Is it truly about variety or are you simply hunting for a nostalgia binge so you can relive 'the good old days'? Your comment on watching many American shows, and then condemning shounen series also raises an eyebrow of mine. Are any of those American shows crime dramas? Those are common like shounen are in Japan, each market has mainstream and dominate shows, so what makes one dominate genre better than another? Again, is it an issue of 'all colors' or simply an issue of your your own specific tastes not being accomindated to? Lastly, I would advise against statement such as saying the industry is on a decline or needs saving Sales have shown otherwise.

People like you have been saying anime needs saving and is dying for a few decades now. I don't know about anyone else, but I do wish anime would just die already. I'm getting tired of waiting for it to do so ever since people started saying it back during the late 90s. Perhaps then people can stop saying it and we can move on.

I echo HitokiriShadow's statement in that I find censorship to not be that intrusive. It seems to be more of a show by show basis than anything else. Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Fairy Tail all air on TV Tokyo, and while the first two can show things like rape and blood, Fairy Tail does not have blood in it. One could possibly argue it's not censorship and perhaps a creative choice on the director's part to omit blood due to the tone of the series, but in the end the issue of censorship seems to be made up of various exceptions rather than any kind of standardized rule. Timeslot and network being a factor as well.

mdo7 wrote:
And more international anime fan will continue to increase criticism (including me) because the reason I stop watching anime because of too much fanservice and less on creativity/innovation in the storyline, there's only quite a few good anime left for me to watch for the last 2 years.

Fanservice and creativity are not mutually exclusive concepts. The Monogatari franchise has some of the most expressive and creative animation direction out there from any animated work. People who claim to be animation buffs yet dismiss it because of fanservice are missing out.

-Stuart Smith
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Too many regulations? Should've gone with OVAs where you don't need to deal with any censorship beyond what the law will come after you for.

For the complaints about too many otaku anime: who else is gonna buy it? Even for anime made for and aimed at the mainstream, they're not going to buy discs unless it's Ghibli or one of those once every two year phenomenons like Madoka or Shingeki. Even then, it's not like the mainstream non-anime fans come out of the woodwork, since those shows didn't top 100k, less than a 1,000th of Japan.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed May 21, 2014 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
personally I don't have problems with fanservice, sure there are some kinds of fanservice I'm not really appealed to, but in general I don't really care
(there are a lot of good animes/manga/even games that has fanservice but at the same time has really good story imo!)

and if you ask me I find the term "fanservice" kind of subjective (I wonder if that's the right word to use...), every person will have a different opinion of what they may see as fanservice (some people won't even notice it and others will just start ranting about it like it's the end of the world or something similar lol)

and furthermore, there has been always some kind of fanservice in anime, even in really old series but again the degree of fanservice will only depend in a viewer point of view because as I have mentioned above everyone has their own understanding of "what" they consider fanservice

(like that time when someone was raging about the lipstick(?)/color in Mikasa's lips and saying -utterly outraged I must add- it was pure pandering fanservice and I explained that to a friend and he asked me if that dude was okay lol, I know it's kind of an extreme example but that shows quite clearly the point I'm trying to make)

---------

I wonder if I explained myself well enough...oh well, I tried

PD: have in mind that is how I personally see all that fanservice thing /it's just a personal opinion, that's what I'm trying to say/
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Monogatari season 1 was good 7,5/10. I will defend it BUT it didn´t need any sequels. And we aren´t talking about blood, drugs and gore alone here. I don´t need Violence Jack and other economy bubble trash to come back ! Mature content alone is bad indeed. So is nudity and even humor. What i want is a show that actually tells as story with all the ingredients it needs and modern anime is stumbling there. Barely anyone would produce Akira today and that makes me sad. And there aren't enough technical artists anymore. That is the reason Sky Crawlers used CG for the planes and the film didn´t look as good as the Patlabor moves. Didn´t Miyazaki say last year or so that the last 2 movies (Wind and Kaguya) NEEDED to make big bucks or they would go bust ? That is one scary though. But they were successful to my knowledge. If the modern audience doesn´t have the time of day for the beast dude in anime after Osamu that something is rotten in the state of Denmark. And i support Sailor Moon because it has been 15 years and Precure(the first show has alright i guess) had it´s time in the light. Sailor Moon is a international success and i kind of like the manga. The market needs the money and if the final product has the chance to be good it deserves a better adaptaion. And i could use some animated Josei in my life. So noitaminA ?
My complaining come form love not hate.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed May 21, 2014 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Monogatari season 1 was good 7,5/10. I will defend it BUT it didn´t need any sequels. And we aren´t talking about blood, drugs and gore alone here. I don´t need Violence Jack and other economy bubble trash to come back ! Mature content alone is bad indeed. So is nudity and even humor. What i want is a show that actually tells as story with all the ingredients it needs and modern anime is stumbling there. Barely anyone would produce Akira today and that makes me sad. And there aren't enough technical artists anymore. That is the reason Sky Crawlers used CG for the planes and the film didn´t look as good as the Patlabor moves. Didn´t Miyazaki say last year or so that the last 2 movies (Wind and Kaguya) NEEDED to make big bucks or they would go bust ? That is one scary though. But they were successful to my knowledge. If the modern audience doesn´t have the time of day for the beast dude in anime after Osamu that something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

The problem with this is most new mangaka, novelists, and anime staff are Otaku themselves and will design manga mainly for other otaku since it would be second nature for them. Also stuff like Akira won't sell today, you need not just BD sales but other merchandise such as figures to have a chance of almost any anime to be successful (not sure how 4koma adaptations get away with having little merchandise though). Story driven and mature anime don't produce merchandise such as figures and dakimakuras.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Banjo wrote:
In my opinion, fan service ruined anime in general. Also I believe it will only get worse and worse in the future.

I know that, anime industry is business and fanservice makes easy money. The industry has some perverted people in it from artists to directors but they are not the cause of the problem, money comes from customers aka anime fans in Japan/world, if they are willing to support those shows just for the "fan service" factor then nothing gonna stop them from doing so. Since anime girls/guys are billion times prettier and sound sexier than real life people plus they are available for all no matter how old are you or how you look.

Me a mangaka wannabe, when I draw a manga I keep thinking that if I put cute girls in my manga maybe busty or moe and use some "fan service" shots here and there then I will probably guarantee me readers. Well, Unless I have a solid story that makes fans on its own. The thing is, Learning how to draw human body is way easier than coming up with good stories not to mention drawing them. If you are an artist and wanna draw hot poses or even hentai, you can use all this massive content online as reference. The dude who made Black Cat also draw To Love Ru, all those designs he made for Black Cat and the hard work on action shots~ then he draw some little girls naked here and there I bet got him more than 10 times the money.

Thank god in Japan manga sells well and many artists still draw the stories they like, Sadly anime is not the same, you can hardly make enough profit, I bet studios fight over any strong title specially from Jump, but once those are taken then they start picking whatever guarantee profit titles or make their own idea. I really feel sorry for those who loves to see their favorite manga animated if its not jump title~ or fan service bull if you call that a manga.. sometimes we get a shojo anime just to have it end in 1 season and R.I.P. the rest.

edited
I also feel sorry for voice actors

Last edited by Banjo on Wed May 21, 2014 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 you mean like Quite in Metal Gear 5. That design. Rolling Eyes
Kojima said that the chick was designed with a figure in mind. But i still want he game soo bad. I have the same problems with japanese games and movies (so do people like Kojima and Inafune) but Kenshin 2-5 and Final Fantasy 15(this one has the good team onboard) are also being produced so not all hope is lost. Just a recession i guess. For me anime today is like Simpsons season 25 or something. I weird inbred monster done by fans of the old stuff that only pander and don´t innovate. Does anyone else have a better metaphor ? Off to bed for me.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed May 21, 2014 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
If a show like, let's say, Psycho-pass (dark, serious, gritty) was so direly needed in the industry, why did it only sell like 8k? And why does that cycle repeat itself yearly? Your core of otaku may not be so into it to throw down for BDs, and (more or less) only otaku watch late-night anime, so who else are you targeting?

If every studio wants to make an Aku no Hana come the Fall season, the industry will be dead by winter. Normals don't buy that stuff, neither do otaku, and there might as well be no middle ground unless you count kids with no disposable income of their own. That's where daytime WSJ stuff falls, and how TV anime used to be in the 80s. I've said it before, but I think we're already in a post-risk industry. They won't take risks in 2014 because all the risks they took in 2008-2012 really burned them and spurred them elsewhere.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed May 21, 2014 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If a show like, let's say, Psycho-pass (dark, serious, gritty) was so direly needed in the industry, why did it only sell like 8k?

8k is a hit. You should be celebrating that number. The vast majority of series don't sell more than 2k.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
8k for "arthouse" is a hit. I agree. + Season 2 and a movie are comming ! Just not for me. Or the show jumps in quality a bit. Night.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I hope not Banjo but you of course have a point. And i forgot JOJO. For example Kill la Kill was the directors "worst" show(7/10) and i blame the audience he had to pander to. Trigger you need to be better ! BUT the are still good mangas being published ! Not all hope is lost.

"had to pander"? If you followed their newsletter you'd realize that Trigger did it because they themselves love fanservice! Ergo, they could not be pandering.

Anyways, the complaints about too much fanservice are ironic because the director is complaining about the perceived need to censor it (and violence or too much blood)!

However, I think the statement per se not really entirely accurate, especially for late night anime. It is more or less the production committee's decision to sell more blu-rays coupled with the TV station's decision. It is the later broadcaster discretion he is talking about, not actual regulations in law. Though I can understand if TV stations feel nervous, perhaps from implicit coercion of not wanting to have written regulation.

Nevertheless currently as it stands for anime, there could not be strict (written) regulations because of these modern examples that showed things uncensored over broadcast, terrestrial TV (nsfw):
- Lupin the Third: Fujiko Mine - entire show (NTV)
- Sekirei Season 1 episode 09 (Tokyo MX)
- Sekirei Season 2 episode 01 (Tokyo MX)

Last edited by configspace on Wed May 21, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8