• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Adds Moribito Fantasy Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuuzen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh crap. Day one, no question. Surprised
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Nuuzen wrote:
Oh crap. Day one, no question. Surprised

?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool it is a good series
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I already own Media Blasters' Blu-ray release, but it's always good to see a masterpiece of a show get rescued.
lem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote

GREAT NEWS, especially for newer fans. You'll have yet another choice. Beyond the vanilla blu, the stack pack, art box no one likes, an empty one, the premium set, and or the "doubles & singles" from MB's.Very Happy

And for the first time the North American blu-ray set will probably be offered in a "deluxe" or "collector's" version??? or?

*crosses fingers*

Give this the full on collector's treatment in blu that this show deserves Viz and I'll be more than happy to buy it from you as well.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I already own Media Blasters' Blu-ray release, but it's always good to see a masterpiece of a show get rescued.

No no, this thread is about Moribito. Razz

This show was a ratings bomb when it aired on TV, but you could argue the audience on video is far more dedicated. I hate the show though. It is just dull beyond all belief. That's the last crack I'm gonna make though, I promise.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the "dull but pretty" camp but there's plenty of shows that are good to look at but back it up with characters, plot and, what's the word, action. Considering the number of copies available of the DVD, I couldn't even see Funimation making money out of a SAVE release so I have no idea what Viz is thinking.

An upscale BD premium box set? I suppose if they got the license cheap enough then they probable could pull a little money out of it. But even if Moribito were a 90 minute movie, it would still be a boring 90 minute movie.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Moribito has great characters! In fact, I'd argue that that is what Moribito does best: world building and characterization. It also has a few great action scene (Balsa vs. The Royal Guards is spectacular!)
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
When Viz releases their box set, they better not stack the discs up on a single spindle like MB did. Seriously, who the hell thought it was a good idea to make us remove one or more discs just to watch another? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Just bought the MB version ~_~
I wonder how the viz version will compare...
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
This show was a ratings bomb when it aired on TV

Moribito was a ratings bomb because Adult Swim didn't know what to do with it. They buried it in the 5 A.M. death slot that they now use to kill Inuyasha. It was treated worse than Zack Ryder.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I might buy it if they fix the echo in the 5.1 audio for the last 16 or 20 episodes, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
gilnokoibito

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
nbahn wrote:
*And why, oh why, won't Scholastic publish more?!

Because they apparently sold pretty poorly. Which is a shame, because they were really quality releases (both the content and the books themselves) and I too would've loved to read the rest.

Ah...I had wondered if that was why.

I remember after reading the 2nd book and finding out there was more, I emailed Scholastic and asked if they had plans to release any of the others and they told me no. I was so sad! I frankly enjoyed the 2nd book better than the first, granted it took a while to take off, but it was very enjoyable!

I would buy the entire series if they were available! Sucks that they dropped them...and as far as I know, there's no fan translations of them out there either. Sad I really wanted to read the rest of them!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Moribito was a ratings bomb because Adult Swim didn't know what to do with it. They buried it in the 5 A.M. death slot that they now use to kill Inuyasha. It was treated worse than Zack Ryder.

I watched this show when it aired on TV and it was never in the 5 a.m. slot.

It's my pick for the #1 series of the 2000s (and the #3 pick for Justin Sevakis), primarily because it's great in every aspect - visuals, storytelling, animation, and music - so I'm happy to see it back in active circulation. I think people find it boring because it's a very atypical fantasy series; I can think of no other fantasy title that focuses more on being thoughtful and intelligent, rather than just playing up typical antics, than this one does, and that doesn't play well with audiences that want a more active story. I loved the way the characters acted like they actually had brains rather than just always forging ahead recklessly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Glad Viz rescued it. I watched part of it on Netflix, but never got to finish it. It wasn't bad, but it certainly was something different, and that alone may be enough for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4