• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Staff Wanted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote
Just a few questions.

1) Would you prefer the samples sent as a word document attached to the email, or just strait-up text?

2) When you state 4 review per week, do you mean the full week or the business week?

3) If and when accepted, would you discourage the writer from reviewing considerably more manga than anime?

4) Retailers are known to put dvds and mangas on the shelves far before their intended realease dates. If said writer picked up a title that came out early and wrote a review on it, would he or she have to wait until the street date for that review to be displayed on ANN?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
I love the reviews here at ANN and I'm looking forward to reading some new perspectives. I was going to try and apply but when I found I did not have enough time to write even one mock review for the application I had to reconsider. Anime cry Would've been fun to try though.

Same here. I would have loved to audition for the reviewer position, but my job and other activities occupy too much of my time to write just one mere review, let alone four. Still, though, I hope ANN will continue to accept "free" reviews after they hire the new reviewers.

And for those that plan on applying for the positions: Good luck to you! Cool
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Just a few questions.

1) Would you prefer the samples sent as a word document attached to the email, or just strait-up text?

I tell you now. The job requires great use of grammar skills. Just thought of warning you. Anyway, I am curious myself regarding the answers to those questions.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Just a few questions.

Submit them as a word document.

And yeah, watch your spelling. Smile

Quote:

2) When you state 4 review per week, do you mean the full week or the business week?

Full week. Schedules and deadlines will be ironed out once we make our decision.

Quote:

3) If and when accepted, would you discourage the writer from reviewing considerably more manga than anime?

Er, not really, no. We need more full-length manga reviews so if someone were to focus on that, it'd be fine.

Quote:

4) Retailers are known to put dvds and mangas on the shelves far before their intended realease dates. If said writer picked up a title that came out early and wrote a review on it, would he or she have to wait until the street date for that review to be displayed on ANN?

This is a complicated question with a complicated answer.

You can't review anything until you clear it with me first. Odds are if there's a hot new title that you managed to get early, we already got it from the company weeks earlier than it appeared on the shelf and myself, Carlo or Theron, our senior reviews staff, is already scheduled to review it.

You need to keep in mind that when you're on the reviews staff, you can't just review whatever you like. Everything you do has to be cleared with me first so we can keep the schedule straight, regardless of how early you got something or what it is you plan on reviewing. Otherwise we're going to wind up with multiple reviews of the same title (which is fine when we don't have a big backlog or have enough staff to warrant it, which we don't) going up at odd times.
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
I am not asking this because I am greedy (I'm not, or at least I wasn't last time I checked).
Is payment by Paypal, or another method?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
smackdee wrote:

and seeing as ANN is an internet-based business, i don't see why recruiting has to be restricted the US & Canada.

Just my 20 pence, like.[/i]

Because if you eventually get to the point where I need you to be reviewing screener copies of big new shows that you don't have access to, it's going to cost me a bundle and take a very long time to get there.

I get what you're saying but I don't think you're thinking about this from my perspective at all.

Also I need to impress upon applicants that this is very much an entry-level position. Some of you seem to have big dreams, and that's great, but keep in mind that this is entry-level and you are very much going to have to prove that you can be reliable, consistant, easy to work with, friendly and cooperative.

We do take this very seriously. Reviewing anime and manga sounds like it's all fun and games and free stuff but in reality we are going to be expecting a lot out of you and it is hard work. You're going to be expected to write 4 750 word+ reviews a week, and initially, you're going to be working primarily on backlog stuff. It isn't anything to sneeze at. Yes, reviewing anime for ANN is very satisfying work and it can open a lot of doors for you, but it isn't a walk in the park.

Cyborg 009 wrote:
I am not asking this because I am greedy (I'm not, or at least I wasn't last time I checked).
Is payment by Paypal, or another method?

This depends on how the reviewer would like to be paid, we have several options that will be disclosed to the new hires.
kirtai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Is there anything you would prefer to see us review for our submissions? For instance, would you rather us review something new, or something that has been around for a while? Likewise, would something popular be a good choice to review, such as Full Metal Alchemist vol. 1 (because that way you are familiar with the title and know what everyone has to say about it) or are you sick of that stuff and would rather read something more obscure? Or do you really just not care as long as the writing's good?
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wapdiddle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 wrote:
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Just a few questions.

I tell you now. The job requires great use of grammar skills. Just thought of warning you. Anyway, I am curious myself regarding the answers to those questions.

"I tell you now", though a correct S-V-O sentence, is terrible. "The job" is an awkward subject. "Just thought of warning you" lacks a subject entirely, which makes it a fragment. "I am curious myself" is redundant.

The errors in your comment are numerous, so a simple, corrected version might be more appropriate than pointing out each one:

"I'll tell you now: this job requires correct use of grammar. I just thought I'd warn you.

Anyway, I'd also like to know the answers to those questions."

Keep in mind that posts on a forum take on a different set of grammatical rules than, say, a review; forum posts mirror the responses of real time conversation, which makes for a much looser format.

Even the corrected version would sound weird in a formal piece of writing, since the voice sounds reminiscent of a letter's.

I just thought I'd warn you. Cool
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
kirtai wrote:
Is there anything you would prefer to see us review for our submissions? For instance, would you rather us review something new, or something that has been around for a while? Likewise, would something popular be a good choice to review, such as Full Metal Alchemist vol. 1 (because that way you are familiar with the title and know what everyone has to say about it) or are you sick of that stuff and would rather read something more obscure? Or do you really just not care as long as the writing's good?
Thanks!

It doesn't matter what you review, but an enterprising person would read the reviews on the site, follow that format and submit perhaps one negative and one positive review.

Not that you have to do this, but hey, I'm not against giving a little advice.
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
"I tell you now", though a correct S-V-O sentence, is terrible. "The job" is an awkward subject. "Just thought of warning you" lacks a subject entirely, which makes it a fragment. "I am curious myself" is redundant.

Thanks, I think. But how is "the job" an awkward subject. I believe you are using the word awkward incorrectly, because awkward refers to being uncomfortable, such as feeling awkward after walking into the already occupied bathroom. I think you're right though, it should have been I warn you now instead of I tell you now. "I am curious myself" does not seem very redundant. Oh well, I will stop there and bury this two-post conversation.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Would be interesting but I'm far too opinionated to write reviews, I simply couldn't trust my view to be objective enough to write a passable review.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 wrote:
But how is "the job" an awkward subject. I believe you are using the word awkward incorrectly, because awkward refers to being uncomfortable, such as feeling awkward after walking into the already occupied bathroom.

I believe he meant awkward as in 'inelegant' or 'gauche.'

Quote:
"I am curious myself" does not seem very redundant.

"I am curious myself" is redundant.

I apologize for furthering this lesser issue.

ETA: Like biliano, I also wish good luck to all the applicants.
unicornsagain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Are there any restrictions/expectations related to staff members in regard to posting/interacting online or in the forums?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
unicornsagain wrote:
Are there any restrictions/expectations related to staff members in regard to posting/interacting online or in the forums?

Yes, any new reviewer would be expected to uphold professional decorum on the forums and not overstep his or her boundaries in terms of what they're permitted to comment on regarding site plans or policies.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
As far as translating goes, what exactly would be translated?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5