• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubs or Subtitles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickeyv

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
I prefer subs. Except there is one exception to this: Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm JP so that might be why I prefer the sound of most anime it in its "original" context, but I found Edward's voice in Japanese to be somewhat annoying. It's like he's trying to sound too cool. Actually the voice is rather similar to Hitsugaya-tacho's (in Bleach), but Hitsugaya is less annoying. I don't know if it's whether the JP dub is bad (well everyone is fine except Ed) or the NA dub is good, but in any case, the NA version is easier on the ears for me. So I'm not sure if I don't like the fact that it's dubbed or I just don't like the voice actors.

Well although i love dubs because so far i have not come acorss a poorly done dub, the only slighty bad one was Gundam Seed, But i found the voices of Cagalii, Athuran, Kira and some Sai to be better than their Japanese counter parts, since according to me they brought more drama to the animations.

I actualy judge my audio content by keeping in mind American shows like Star Trek etc when it comes to Sci-fi,

About Full Metal Alchemist, i actualy can never bear the thought of Alchemy being called some jutsu that just sounds "blah" and its like nails on a chalk board. The English audio brings much more drama to the animation, simple as that, while mainting the original routes of the characters, that is western.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
For those of you who are sick of this topic, I apologize, so please ignore it if you are bothered.

No, no. I'm not bothered at all. In fact the guy who first replied to this thread is what has been keeping me reading.
But really, I think that if people don't want to try and figure out the Japanese, they should just watch the dubs.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Speaking slighty OT for a second:

PantsGoblin wrote:
This topic (or something being derailed and turning into it) comes up at least once a month:

March, February, January, December, November, October, September...

September is rather amusing since, if you read my edit, the whole reason the arguement started was actually completely pointless. My opinion about this can be read on other threads I linked to, but generally I like subs better then dubs.

I rather liked the October, December, and March arguments (not because I did some of my best arguing Rolling Eyes) because you saw some of the staunchest figures from both sides (some picked none) - Keonyn, Ohoni, Starwind Amada, Steroid, Azathrael, DemonEyesLeo, Zalis116, PantsGoblin, and a few mods just going AT IT. I had some memorable shots, but they were just firing roundhouses back and forth to the point I contemplated setting up some mass interview for my site just to get their mass opinions in an article. Great stuff.

Geh, don't remind me about that. I'm now staying away from that kind of stuff; it's just not worth it (kinda wish I had realized this sooner, but better late than never).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Some of the anime that I have I do not usually watch in dub format: i.e. Sailor Moon S & Sailor Moon SuperS. I just can't stand the dubs. I'm able to tolerate the dubs of the first two but the second two...bleech! Some of the one-liners they came up with when the Senshi first appear in each episode...Good Grief!
I agree--despite the massive censorship, plot changes, gender changes, and episode omission by DiC in the first 2 series, I've always liked the actual voice acting in SM1 and SMR over S & SuperS. Maybe it's just nostalgia for the mid-90s afternoons and the fact that Sailor Moon S was the first anime where I had a choice on the language.

The Frankman wrote:
I rather liked the October, December, and March arguments (not because I did some of my best arguing Rolling Eyes) because you saw some of the staunchest figures from both sides (some picked none) - Keonyn, Ohoni, Starwind Amada, Steroid, Azathrael, DemonEyesLeo, Zalis116, PantsGoblin, and a few mods just going AT IT. I had some memorable shots, but they were just firing roundhouses back and forth to the point I contemplated setting up some mass interview for my site just to get their mass opinions in an article. Great stuff.

Laughing I'm not sure I want to be reminded of it either*, as I used to be more of a staunch sub fan back in the day Shocked But, I hope that I was one who didn't choose sides, as I try to embrace both options. It's kind of funny, because this whole debate is a holdover from the VHS days where you had to choose sub or dub unless you had lots of $$$ to spend on both. These days, dubs have gotten better, and if you spend the money on DVDs (or the time/bandwith downloading rips), you may as well take advantage of both tracks. Just today, I picked up the Midori Days boxed set, and just as the reviews (here or at AnimeonDVD, I can't remember) said, Midori's English VA does do a good job on her character's sweet/cutesy voice--a type of voice that had always dragged down dubs in the past.

*though I'll probably look anyway
puffy_flower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
It's 49/51 for me
Example:I watched the series FMA in dub form and loved it then the movie in sub form and loved it a little bit more than the series
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Both subs and dubs have their merits. I ususually perfer the subs. This is because like others have said they are usually closer to the orginal japanese eppys. Even watching shows that have a good sub and dub (text/meaning wise.) there are still small differences. Once again I understand, like others have pointed out that to make the language flow better the dubs have to add words and such. However, I also find that some not all the voice acting is well either too hard to understand or just bad. Also yes i have issues with cetain companies dubs cough cough, DIC's butchering of Sailor moon. Come on they complelty changed the show. So therefore I have negative feelings for Dubs. Also some other shows, like Wedding Peach and Blueseed for example, well the lead female characters voice is so highpitched and annoying in the english dubs that I started to dislike them. However in the Sub addition I actually really like both characters. Yet these negative feeling have slowly, very slowy started to change. Although I will almost always finish a series with the subs. I am not against watching a few epposides in English. This is a big improvement for me, in the past I wouldn't be caught dead watching anime dubs. I really have two animes to thank for this,Ranma and EVA. Regarding Ranma, I have only watched a few japanesse eppys and well I just long to hear Ranma's english voice, lol. I think the reason for this is, that I orginally saw this show in english and well from what I have seen off the subs, the dubs did not butcher them. Then there is EVA, where the dub is just way superior to the sub. I mean if i was somewhere and they were playing the sub of this, I would walk out and not watch it. The voice acting is incrediable in this,especially Askusa's voice. So well I just loved it. Which leads me to the other question, why then do I not like /certain other series where some of these actors are involved in?

Yes so there you have it, my very long reply as to why I usually perfer the subs. I hope I didn't offend anyone.
Avalanche

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I prefer dubbed. Ex. i think of a dubbed anime done well>> Samurai Champloo. It was pretty bad ass. It had me wanting to see the next episode every time.

[EDIT: Please don't bold the whole post. Bolding is usually reserved for making a particular word or name stick out, not every word you type Wink. Thanks. -TK]
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
He he he, you know what always makes me giggle about these threads is when a demi-mod will comment, "OMG, not another XXXXX thread!" and then goes ahead and answers or gives their opinion.

Personally, I have just started getting into subbed anime, mostly due to lack of dubs for a title. Although I prefer dubs, I have enjoyed subs only slightly less, the only exception being when an anime has one of those shrill voiced chara that I cannot stand!

Point being that I have slowly gone from dub biased toward a happy median of enjoying subs as well as dubs. I may even go sub the next time I rewatch one of the series that I have in my collection.

Does anyone see a trend toward US DVD releases as sub-only? I saw a couple of trailers/episodes (can't remember the titles) which were sub-only; one may have been Loveless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I prefer subs over dubs. Not that dubs are bad, but its just harder for me to get into a series if its in English. Probably because Japanese is a foreign language, so its harder for my ears to detect things like lack of emotion. Also, Japanese just seems to be a language that flows better than English, and just seems to work better when voicing for anime. Also, Japanese seiyuus as an average have higher voices than American VA's, and since the majority of anime characters are under 18 years of age, it works better when young people really do sound young.
ananda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I like listening to Dubs. There are a lot of great ones out there I think.

True. A bad Dub can take away from the experience but a good Dub can add so much more, in terms of ‘connecting’ with the characters and emotional impact IMO then when I would listen to it in a language I can’t understand, such as Japanese.

I look at it this way:

Good English VA > Japanese VA > Bad English VA
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY!! My first post since my Internet went down!

I personally like subs. To me, the subs give the anime more of an authentic feel to it, if you know what I mean. Plus, I'm trying to learn Japanese, so it helps me out in the process.

To me, dubs are kind of dumb. The companies ruin the voices in my eyes. However, there are some well-dubbed series out there, like Naruto. I only watch it if I need to. Most of the time I just watch the series in Japanese, but if it's on TV, I'll put it on. However, with certain series I haven't seen yet, like Eureka 7, I'll watch the dub, which is on tonight. Twisted Evil
barfing_bunnies

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind dubs too much really--subs make me start talking in an accent after watching/listening to them after a while.
Siilent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Subs. I'm really not a fan of dubs at all, but that may be due to bad experiences with dubs I've heard.

I want to hear the voices orignally intended for the characters. I also just like listening to Japanese. Simple as that. I hear English every day- how about something new? Laughing

I know people get a little irritated with people that say they want closest to the original. "Then watch it raw! Subs change words areound too!" That's the most common responce I see.

Subs aren't completely original material, but they have one more original thing than the dubs. I'm not saying all dubs are bad- I quite liked the one for the first two episodes of FMA. Didn't like the series itself, but anyway...

Nine times out of ten, I prefer the Japanese voices for one reason or another. So I go with probability and watch subs.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's kind of funny, because this whole debate is a holdover from the VHS days where you had to choose sub or dub unless you had lots of $$$ to spend on both. These days, dubs have gotten better, and if you spend the money on DVDs (or the time/bandwith downloading rips), you may as well take advantage of both tracks.

Yeah, this is true. The only reasons I still dislike dubs are that 1: they push back release dates. Fansubbers can get subtitles out sometimes within 24 hours of the Japanese airing, so subtitles at that pace are even more doable for the pros. Dubbing slows that down, or at the very least gives them an excuse to be slow. And 2: Dubbing costs money, which raises the cost of the total production. People have said that subs-only would cost more because they'd sell less, but that's only because dubs are an otpion. If there was only a subbed version of a show, production costs would be much lower, so the price point could be lower as well.

I do have to say that it's easier to watch dubs though, since I can do other things with my eyes while they're on, like how I'm typing this up while Ultimate Avengers is airing off to my side.

It also annoys me when some people insist that the dub is as good, if not better than the original. You can like dubs all you want, but please, gain some perspective.
ChangSauce

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
I'd have to think that 95% of the general anime loving public would say "sub". Really, if the quality of dubs would increase, than I could see myself perferring the format more and more, but as of current, it's sub all the way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6