• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Arms And The Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Quote:
And how about that Cardcaptor Sakura? Specifically the Clow and Sakura box sets. They're rare as heck, and when they do show up, you have to be prepared to shell out $300-$400 per.

I think even the Japanese blu ray sets are cheaper than those.crazy stuff. I'm trying to collect the whole series...but with only volume 1 in my possession its gonna take a long, long time.( unless someone re-releases it. come on sentai or funimation) I'm kinda angry at myself for not buying the movie when it was 7 dollars on amazon though, as the price is now 16 dollars and rising. Oh well. better get it quick.

I own the series. Twice Razz I own the singles and the box sets. I grabbed the boxes as soon as TRSI had them. lol And while I started collecting the singles first a little before the Clow Book came out, I only completed them after getting the last 2-3 volumes I needed back in 2010. Took about five years...

The completionist in me wants to get all of Galaxy Angel, but I don't know if I care anymore. I do have a signed copy of Volume 1 of Galaxy Angel Rune though...
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
When Aniplex recently announced its pricing for Gurren Lagann, something remarkable happened: retailers started selling copies of the version that's been available for years, collecting dust.

Once they're gone, the price is going up. $50? In your dreams, otaku! You'll be paying $100+ in 2014, because this is still a bargain when compared to the price Aniplex will charge of its imported series.

Interestingly enough, I find it the least surprising this happens. Fans just want to recoup some of the money they've lost by spending money on anime, the only way they know how to recoup these losses is gouging their own kind.

Rather ironic, then, to see them bitch when they feel a company is gouging them.

I also don't discount the notion some publishers purposely print small volumes in order to facilitate an "artificial" limit* on the product, creating a fervor that usually builds long after it's been deemed "OoP".

Funny how that works.

*I still say ADV purposely did this for Kanon, volume 5.

At any rate, I'm glad I'm not a completionist. If I can't get "X" to make a series complete, I just toss the rest of the set into the trash and buy something I can get complete.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, why has that OVA gotten so popular lately, beyond being beautiful and awesome.

Beautiful and awesome is reason enough for me Smile Ah, to see awesome fantasy OVAs with Mutsumi Inomata character designs again...for less than 20,000-50,000 yen...(sigh)

ZenAmako wrote:
I still have my R2 copies of Leda and Windaria (the first releases).

I used to have Leda on subbed VHS from Rightstuf(IIRC). I could kick myself now for selling it off. The lack of an uncut, subbed Windaria in R1 (even to this very day) has always been one of the great missing pieces in R1 anime releasing.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
The ADV Gatchaman sets are prohibitively expensive. Single volumes are up over $100 each on some of those, not to mention the box sets. I have the first 3 or 4 sets (can't remember) but, was never able to complete the series. Now you can't find 'em anywhere. I was lucky enough to buy a lot of the other cool series that I wanted as they were coming out, like Ronin Warriors, thankfully. I had no idea they were so expensive until a friend pointed out to me that the full box set had been going for $400+ on ebay and amazon. I'm still looking for that last volume of the B't X manga I need, Volume 14. I waited too long and now I can't find it even on Amazon. I hate being such a procrastinator Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
The rarest DVD sets that I want are Cat's Eye and Nobody's Boy - Remi, those were only sold on RightStuf and are so OOP you'd be lucky to find somebody that's willing to part with their set. They might be old series, but they're enjoyable and hope that Discotek might be willing to release them.

You really, really don't want to get those sets.

The problem is that they were print-to-demand... IE, DVD-R.

DVD-R is a horrible recording medium...
The main quality issue is that these things are made so cheaply that they tend to degrade fast which means that within a matter of months a DVD-R becomes unplayable or at least freezes sporadically. I've had this happen on at least 3-5 DVD-R's I've made. They weren't older than one year when I started noticing this...

This was happening with BRAND NEW DVD-R copies of the shows issued by ImaginAsian. IA never sold many copies of them so when their replicator went out of business IA never bothered to repress the shows on high-quality factory DVDs. They didn't follow through with any of their promises to repress the shows and let their short-term licenses to those shows run out.

I HATE the manufacture-on-demand programs from WB, Fox, MGM, and all the other studios. It's a cheap way for them to get out old films and TV shows they don't want to bother to master properly and get out on more durable video formats. IF I were ever to get a DVD-R set (most likely with Thundarr the Barbarian, a show that SHOULD have gotten a pressed DVD format) of something I cared about, I'd make a backup as soon as possible. DVD-R just isn't a stable long-lasting format.

Even VHS is far more durable than DVD-R! I have VHS tapes over 20 years old that haven't been played much that are still fine today. I doubt in 20 years that most of CD-R's or DVD-R's will barely play on any computer let alone a commerical DVD/Blu ray player. A few years back I reduped a CD soundtrack from a CD-R I got way back in 1995... That CD-R wouldn't play on any of my CD players (aside from my computer) so I did a new recording... Still have that CD-R but as I haven't used it in years I don't know its current condition. I doubt it's still playable now.

These formats were just not made with much durability. Unless you buy from a higher-end, high-quality manufacturer, don't expect the discs to last much beyond 5 years. (CD-R generally holds up better, btw.) It's usually a degradation in the chemicals that the lasers write to or a failure of the glue that holds the halves of the 5-inch disc together. Same thing happens with 12-inch laserdiscs, too, and I've had a number of those go bad as well...

The most durable media for digital video now are digital tapes (rapidly going extinct as flash ROM gets cheaper all the time), flash ROM drives (solid state), and the far cheaper yet-will-break-after-enough spins hard drive you use in your computer. While the latter is cheapest and VERY durable (will last 7-8 years regular daily use; far longer if its used only for archiving data and not as a main disk drive), the main issue with it are the evolving interface standards.

We've gone through at least a half-dozen major interface standards since I've been using computers. Latest standard is SATA but even that has at least 3 versions with different transmission speeds. Prior to that we had SCSI interface drives (SCSI's out of use as of a years back in at least consumer PC's) and IDE/PATA drives which were the primary disk standard before SATA took over. Your HD may survive forever but will there be any computer with an interface/adapter that will work with it???

At least I found out recently that there are IDE/SATA adapters on the markets... Now how well these work and what data transmission speeds they max out at I don't know. I do know that like most out-of-production computer parts, IDE drives could go up in price. (Computer RAM prices are notorious for rising in price as supply of out-of-production RAM diminishes...) I have a DVD Recorder that has an IDE-based interface which is why I explored the IDE/SATA adapter for my needs. IDE HD's themselves max out at around 500GB. An adapter might enable the use of 1TB SATA HD's or larger...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, why has that OVA gotten so popular lately, beyond being beautiful and awesome.

Beautiful and awesome is reason enough for me Smile Ah, to see awesome fantasy OVAs with Mutsumi Inomata character designs again...for less than 20,000-50,000 yen...(sigh)

ZenAmako wrote:
I still have my R2 copies of Leda and Windaria (the first releases).

I used to have Leda on subbed VHS from Rightstuf(IIRC). I could kick myself now for selling it off. The lack of an uncut, subbed Windaria in R1 (even to this very day) has always been one of the great missing pieces in R1 anime releasing.

How great it'd be if Rightstuf or Discotek just grabbed the three Yuyama features and released them close together. Windaria should be well known enough to sell decently, so it should be first.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
At any rate, I'm glad I'm not a completionist. If I can't get "X" to make a series complete, I just toss the rest of the set into the trash and buy something I can get complete.

I'm mostly with you, but rather than trashing your incomplete singles, you should consider trading them in either to Robert's Anime Corner Store or Amazon (free shipping!) for store credit, that way you can at least get something back for them.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I grabbed the boxes as soon as TRSI had them.

I wish I'd known about right stuff back then. oh well. I'm able to get several random Galaxy Angel dvds at the record store though, all for under 3 bucks each.
Quote:

When Aniplex recently announced its pricing for Gurren Lagann, something remarkable happened: retailers started selling copies of the version that's been available for years, collecting dust.

Makes me glad I was able to get subbed vol 2 for 5 dollars, but the rest of the sets are getting more expensive. shame Aniplex is selling theirs for hundreds of dollars.
streexanime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
The Card Captor Sakura DVDs were the hardest to track down... I still don't have them. The two boxsets were released well before I had a feasible income. I didn't get much of an allowance as a teen/child to get them as individuals.

I remember having to argue with the state-region library to even keep the boxset intact as a whole. They wanted to list each DVD in the Clow set as a separate entry and it was completely random which DVD you got out of the set( you ask for disc 1, you're given disc 3 instead. "They're just cartoons right? It doesn't matter what order they're in").

The only OoP one I ever got was finally when TRSI annouced the Utena re-release.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
streexanime wrote:
The Card Captor Sakura DVDs were the hardest to track down... I still don't have them.

I managed to get the first two relatively cheap, but checking the prices for the rest of the DVDs make me a bit reluctant to finish the set. It'd be cheaper to get the new (remastered?) Japanese DVD box sets, but those don't have English subtitles.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I am late to zee party but...

blam! Huge ass pic!!
streexanime

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
streexanime wrote:
The Card Captor Sakura DVDs were the hardest to track down... I still don't have them.

I managed to get the first two relatively cheap, but checking the prices for the rest of the DVDs make me a bit reluctant to finish the set. It'd be cheaper to get the new (remastered?) Japanese DVD box sets, but those don't have English subtitles.
I got the first volume on VHS for $20. I remember being stupidly happy that I got a hold of it.

Never have I been so tempted in my life to get the bootlegs
eddiehades

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote
Hey there, I came across this thread when searching for information regarding why dvds of Zoids: Chaotic Century were so damn expensive to buy.

I've actually got volumes 1.1 to 1.3 and 1.10 to 1.16 and am looking to sell them, and I was wondering if anyone here would be interested? The only sticking point would be that as I'm from Australia, they're region 4 dvds, but that wouldn't be a problem if you have a region free player Smile

I'm currently selling on ebay, take a look Smile

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181222065026#viTabs_0

Just got to my other items to find the rest of them Smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
eddiehades, please read our policy on necroposting, and then also read Teh Rules about commerce.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3