• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2013-03-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, is there a chocobo in that stereotypical black guy's hair? Surprised
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'd probably watch that show, as long as it was interesting to me. Heck, I'm more likely to get offended at people being offended than from actual "offensive" material. So, as long as Hitler was saying we need more anime with girls in swimsuits having hotdog popsicle parties, then yes, he was right Smile
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Hilarious! I completely lost my shiz by "Swimsuit-hotdog-popsicle party with your 4th grade friends."

This completely captures every WTF?! OMG!? moment/feeling I've had as an anime fan.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Hilarious! I completely lost my shiz by "Swimsuit-hotdog-popsicle party with your 4th grade friends."

This completely captures every WTF?! OMG!? moment/feeling I've had as an anime fan.

And the sad thing is, the longer you watch anime, the less it phases you until one day you realize that you could never recommend a show like, Nisemonogatari, to a "normal" friend because of the toothbrush scene...
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Also works in drama anime where, after all the twist and tension, everything resolved with the cliche harem/nobody win/back to status quo ending.

There are also cases where a title daringly went into good food for thought topics in the early eps, but at some point it stopped and went back to your usual show full of predictable tropes. Well I know its anime so everyone shouldn't take it seriously, but I always think its such a waste.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall anything about Hitler in an anime, but I could see how some Japanese would agree since Japan did side with Germany in WWII. But the irony is that the Nazis would likely have eliminated the Orientals just as easily as the Jews for not being Aryan.

I have seen many shows portraying the American president as a war monger and/or an incompetent moron. That destroys many shows that would seem intelligent otherwise.

And it's almost standard to have a hot springs episode in an anime.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

I have seen many shows portraying the American president as a war monger and/or an incompetent moron. That destroys many shows that would seem intelligent otherwise.

Seriously, that destroyed Rideback for me since the entire premise/backstory of how the Americans had conquered the world (or at least Japan) just made no logical sense. But at least it didn't have random pool/beach episodes with underaged girls in it, can't believe I even typed that....
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

Reminds me of Read or Die's portrayal of George W. Bush as a pants-wetting coward. He was a terrible president but that's going too far and didn't help suspension of disbelief at all.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I don't recall anything about Hitler in an anime, but I could see how some Japanese would agree since Japan did side with Germany in WWII. But the irony is that the Nazis would likely have eliminated the Orientals just as easily as the Jews for not being Aryan.

Hitler actually made the Japanese honorary aryans due to his alliance with them, showing that he was ready to be a hypocritical shit whenever it suited him.

ALso, most neo-nazis today actually LOOK UP to Japan due to it being nearly ethnically homogenous...oh lord, I browse Stormfront looking for FSTDT-worthy quotes too much.

[EDIT: No need to bring politics into a topic about a web comic. -TK]
partysmores

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The time I brought Black Lagoon to school in 8th grade sneakingly past my mom...until my Math teacher walked by me just as I was looking as a giant panel of Revy using the "F" bomb while killing some guys on a page. It was also the first instance of swearing in the volume. Mom was pissed, almost got suspended for that. Said Math teacher asked to examine all manga I brought to school after that (bad first impression of manga).

Weird how they'd call me out on that but I brought stuff like Negima and Love Hina without any problems.
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: No excessive quoting, please. -TK]
Sleverin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing one of these was Angel Cop right, if I remember correctly. Since most of my anime viewing involves stuff that is not recent, I only get some of these references from the cursory knowledge of reading the forums. I think I might be happier if I stay that way.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
B-but... this show would be awesome!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

I don't recall anything about Hitler in an anime,

*cough*Urotsukidoji*cough*

writerpatrick wrote:

but I could see how some Japanese would agree since Japan did side with Germany in WWII.

Oh yeah, this happens in Japan from time to time: Laughing

"The Hitler costume fiasco shows Japan has lost touch with its past - The country has changed so much that young people can't conceive their grandparents had any link to the Nazis"

Tanaka Koki, member of the popular Johnny's idol group, KAT-TUN, has been stirring up some controvery recently as his new PV "Black or White" was leaked on to the internet. So what's the big deal? Some netizens are upset that Koki is dressed in full, Nazi uniform. To be specific, Koki sports the notorious SS black uniform, which was used from 1932 to 1934 in Nazi Germany. The SS uniform was worn specifically by people who worked in concentration camps and closest to the Third Reich. The PV features him dancing in the Nazi garb, while switching between scenes of him being experimented on. The SS was also notorious for conducting horrendous "medical experiments" on many Jews in concentration camps.

"Japanese TV show invokes Hitler as motivator - Prime-time broadcast explains how to use Nazi mannerisms to succeed"

"Japan Hitler Costume Controversy - Sony Music Artists defended the band, saying that the uniforms had "no ideological meaning," but still had the band issue an apology."

Japanese would not see Nazi Germany as epitome of evil since they didn't fight against nor been treated reprehensibly by Nazi Germany.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Alunimus wrote:
B-but... this show would be awesome!

After reading about Angel Cop and thinking, "Holy God how did someone make something so brilliant but be so horrible?" I have to say the same of this. I mean, if this was a true show, not just an amalgamation of tropes, it would be the most brilliant car crash. Would need to be MSTied at every con ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5