• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Oreshura episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
The first episode looked promising; the second worrying as they didn't seem to be making use of the uniqueness of the premise. After that, while a few fleeting elements hinted at some depth, it just settled into being a destitute man's Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai (plus harem emphasis). Maybe it does get better in ep 9 but I don't think I can bring myself to continue that far.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And yes, the families did arrange it in the case of Ai Yori Aoshi, but the fact that she thinks he wants to honour an arrangement made years ago without his consent is just bizarre.

Is it? For the cultures and backgrounds that you and I come from, that would probably be true. But that's not her background or the one that he was drawn into. Families like theirs are the equivalent of nobility, and they play by different standards and expectations. While I suppose that all of the stories of nobility-like behavior in modern-day settings could be just fanciful creations, these kind of elements come up much too commonly in anime for me to believe that they aren't at least partly a reflection of reality.

Quote:
The families may be old, but I have to wonder how much pressure they can really bring to bear. I know that Japan has high social expectations, but being disowned these days is hardly the punishment it once was. Apart from cutting off financial support - which is serious hurdle but not an insurmountable one for someone willing to work their arse off - there's nothing his family could do if he made up his mind.

And that was an issue in the series, wasn't it?

Quote:
Ai sounds like someone who has no goals for herself except to be what others want her to be. You make her sound like a mannequin rather than a person who can love and be loved. It's good to be wary of those people - male or female - who are slavishly obedient to their families. If Ai turned up on my doorstep, I'd want her to want to marry me because she loves me, not because she was told to marry me by a family that she allows to control her.

Are you referring to Ai (from Oreshura) or Aoi (from Ai Yori Aoshi) here? And assuming the latter, did you ever get the impression watching that series that Aoi wasn't passionately in love with him? Remember, she defied her own family - twice! - to hook up with Kaoru.

dtm42 wrote:
No matter how hard you try Fence, you can't make opinions into fact just by asserting hard enough.

I don't do it. Simple as that. Now drop it. Hopefully you'll see this message before Key likely deletes the last few posts.

Hate to bring this up when we're having an otherwise-civil discussion, but I do agree with Fencedude. I don't expect you to back down on OreImo - I remember how much you hated that one - but that doesn't at all mean that I accept your interpretation of "clear reasons," either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
The first episode looked promising; the second worrying as they didn't seem to be making use of the uniqueness of the premise. After that, while a few fleeting elements hinted at some depth, it just settled into being a destitute man's Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai (plus harem emphasis). Maybe it does get better in ep 9 but I don't think I can bring myself to continue that far.

"uniqueness of the premise" Yes exactly, the first episode was promising. It offered a new characteristic for the main protagonist. He doesn't want anything to do with love! (Reminds me of My Little Monster). I was interested to see how it played out from there.

Key wrote:
but I do agree with Fencedude.

Screen pic'ing this for the annals of ANN
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
@Key:

Sorry, I meant Aoi, not Ai, when talking about if a girl turned up on my doorstep trying to marry me because of an arrangement between our families.

You do realise that I haven't watched Ai Yori Aoshi, right? I was talking about the general scenario of its arranged marriage and how much I am against it (and Aoi's expectations of it) in principle. I will of course allow the possibility that Aoi was well-written and was more than just a crazy doll. Great execution can overcome even the most cringe-inducing premises (Koi Kaze comes to mind with its superb portrayal of an incestuous relationship). But without having seen the series, all I can say as of this moment is that my general reaction is one of disdain for anyone who thinks a childhood promise or arranged marriage means much after a decade apart with little-to-no contact.

Anyway, I have seen OreShura - well, the episodes that have been aired as of to date - and Ai is most definitely crazy. Yeah she's hot, and I don't know if my sixteen-year-old self could have resisted her advances (did I mention she looks great in a yukata?), but she's certainly bad news. Though I'll admit she's not the worst I've seen, as she lacks the creepy clinginess and suffocating possessiveness shown by the worst examples in the Harem sub-genre.

Okay, I know, Yuno had a reason to be batcrap insane and possessive of Yuki. But you know what I mean.

----------

As for OreImo, I'm just gonna drop it (as in, stop talking about it). I've had three hours of sleep in two days and am simply not in the mood to be discussing a show that gets my blood boiling. (On a side note, I'm surprised I can be so tired and yet type so lucidly.)
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You do realise that I haven't watched Ai Yori Aoshi, right? I was talking about the general scenario of its arranged marriage and how much I am against it (and Aoi's expectations of it) in principle. I will of course allow the possibility that Aoi was well-written and was more than just a crazy doll. Great execution can overcome even the most cringe-inducing premises (Koi Kaze comes to mind with its superb portrayal of an incestuous relationship). But without having seen the series, all I can say as of this moment is that my general reaction is one of disdain for anyone who thinks a childhood promise or arranged marriage means much after a decade apart with little-to-no contact.

My apologies; the way you were talking about it, I was under the impression that you had seen it. There are definite reasons why it's widely-regarded as one of the best series of its genre, though, and the genuineness of the relationship between its leads is a big part of that. How their families play into this (each of them initially partly or completely bucked their families for them to be together, and the premise which allowed the harem setting was part of a compromise by Aoi's family, who desperately didn't want to lose her) also contributes. Some of the harem hijinks in the middle sag, but the beginning and ending of the first series are really strong.

While the premise in Oreshura is a little fresher, the character development and relationship dynamics are nowhere near as good by comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3