• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - The Saga of Shonen Jump Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Glover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

sainta wrote:
That's one creeply looking Yugioh image.

Takahashi's early art was pretty.. bad.

The first chapter of Yu-Gi-Oh is one of the scariest things I've ever read for that reason.

Yeah, I knew that when I first got that graphic novel (tankobon).
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
kennykillek wrote:
I remember the early volumes of Dragon Ball having full frontal male and female nudity. It was great! How did you guys get away with that? And rate it "A" for all ages?

Actually, there were several different Viz versions of Dragon Ball, some censored & some uncensored. I don't remember what the most recent (Viz Big Omnibus) edition is like. We printed it uncensored at first, then people who bought it at Toys R'Us freaked out and we censored it, then eventually we figured 'the heat was off' and we could do it uncensored again, but then I think times changed again, etc., etc.....

I don't remember Toriyama himself ever commenting on the censorship, but I didn't talk about it with him the few times I saw him in person.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
I subscribed to Shonen Jump for a few years back in middle/high school, and it was part of what introduced me to the wider world of anime and manga beyond the sparse couple of series I had been interested in before. For a couple of years I was obsessed with all things Shonen Jump; I ravenously consumed each issue the day it arrived, and I tried to buy all the graphic novels promoted in the magazine (even for crappy series like Beet the Vandel Buster). As I got further into high school my anime tastes started to gravitate toward more "mature" series - Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Akira - while the magazine's target demographic seemed to skew continuously younger, and so eventually I let my subscription lapse (though I still continued to buy some of the manga series for a couple of years after that). Still, I owe SJ a debt of gratitude for broadening my geek horizons and providing me with vast entertainment value, endless escapism, and fuel for my active imagination during those tumultuous adolescent years.

Also, I always wondered about the overboard dialogue censorship alluded to in the article, particularly in contrast to the (to my knowledge) completely uncensored violence. It eventually reached a point where you would have, say, a character getting their arm lopped clean off and responding with a hearty "Oh, darn!!" This even applied to the non-serialized series - even the ones with "T+" ratings, like Rurouni Kenshin. It was bizarre. The "Shonen Jump Advanced" line of graphic novels (which confused me at first - I thought it was a separate magazine) for series aimed at older teens seemed to be able to get away with somewhat more in terms of language and innuendo, but it still tended to keep things pretty tame (like censoring out nudity or things of that nature). Are Viz still that weirdly puritanical about Shonen Jump and other series aimed at teens? I've barely read any manga published by them in ages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
I slowly lost interest in Shonen Jump after it started removing all the series to publish them straight into graphic novel form. Eventually, it was just Once Piece, Naruto and Bleach and promo chapters for other straight-to-graphic novel series (oh, and Ultimo. But who ever cared?) and I had to stop.

But the old days, man. Those were good times.
R. Glover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
And speaking of Yu-Gi-Oh!, it won't be airing on Nicktoons tomorrow either, OR next week, or even AT ALL.
bazinko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
First of all, kudos on the Dune reference. You've made Muad'Dib proud (I imagine).

This makes me wish I would have subscribed to Shonen Jump back in the day. It took me so long to make the transition from anime to manga and now that I have, it figures it's during a time when the printed word is being ousted for digital mayhem. Are there any manga publications still around like Shonen Jump? I suppose not. When the behemoth dies it's a bad sign. I mourn its loss and lament my lack of interest during its lifespan.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
bazinko wrote:
First of all, kudos on the Dune reference. You've made Muad'Dib proud (I imagine).

This makes me wish I would have subscribed to Shonen Jump back in the day. It took me so long to make the transition from anime to manga and now that I have, it figures it's during a time when the printed word is being ousted for digital mayhem. Are there any manga publications still around like Shonen Jump? I suppose not. When the behemoth dies it's a bad sign. I mourn its loss and lament my lack of interest during its lifespan.

The 'behemoth' is not dead. It is very much alive. I should know, I just finished reading the latest issue.

Its actually better then it was because A) Its day and date with Japan, B) Its actually Weekly, and C) Its a dollar an issue.

Its pretty rad.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
I have the preview issue of shonen jump, and some of the first numbers (I even have a letter published on number 1) Unfortunately in Mexico it was hard to import them, specially on my city so I didn't follow it religiously. Time later some other shops started to import them but when I bought it again I realized I wasn't interested on the content anymore... Shojo beat on the other hand became a regular, I have most of it's run (then it died Sad )
Unfortunately in the case of Alpha I am just not the market, not only because I became tired of Naruto and most of the shonen jump titles with the exception of one piece, but because I am not from the united states... In my case is just easier to buy the imported editions of Ooku and other manga I am interested than to be part of this new evolution in jump, best luck anyways.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Thats an interesting story, but I also stopped buying SJ after it went digital
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
Necropost but the description of the writing process for "OK! Jump Guy" made me curious to see the comic itself, but I couldn't seem to find it anywhere on the Internet. Anyone know of a place where I can see it (that doesn't involve tracking down the SJ pilot issue)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3