• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Magical Instrumentalists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Hameln. Personally I preferred Raiel (the guy who carries a golden piano around) and the über-lovely Sizer. I only read the manga though. It was a rather decent and imaginative shounen manga, but unfortunately a bit too long with dragged out developments.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Hameln. I have no idea how it ever got into my anime club. It was, however, the one show everyone was comfortable riffing on.
Doomroar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
about which mascot would you kick to the curb... every single one of them except of course chopper who is NOT a mascot, the cat of trigun is actually a decent mascot, and that is maromi can go and enjoy the kicks as much as the rest.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I guess Aladdin didn't count because he doesn't really make music with his flute, nor does he really use it as a weapon.

I feel that with time, Kirito and Asuna would be much lower on this list.

The new poll is filled with such great mascots that I could only make a choice because I just happened to never watch that anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime version of Violinist of Hameln features a wonderful story

The plot of the anime was horrible compared to the manga though. It tried way too hard to make the story dark and serious, whereas the manga was mostly comedic with some dramatic scenes thrown in. And most of those were never in the anime either, because it went down an (also bad) original ending route. The little movie they made later on was decent, but it wasn't anything related to the manga.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I guess the guitars in FLCL aren't actually magical...

...or are they?
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Doomroar wrote:
about which mascot would you kick to the curb... every single one of them except of course chopper who is NOT a mascot, the cat of trigun is actually a decent mascot, and that is maromi can go and enjoy the kicks as much as the rest.

The Tachikomas are not mascots either - they are weapons/vehicles who just happen to have cute AIs.

Maromi is a mascot but he also has a massive role in his show's plot. Ditto for Kyubey and Luna. Even more so for for Pikachu - he's the main character in his franchise!

Kon is not so bad, it's the other stuffed animals that the Bleach anime keeps shoving in our faces that need to go.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Tachicomas are absolutely mascots. You don't give something voices and personalities like that for any other purpose. They could've simply been futuristic tanks; no talking or anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Hey, Babbit's either a figment of a deranged girl's imagination or an emcee from the lower depths of Hell. Either way, he's alright. Easily less annoying than the buck toothed guy from "Children's Time".

I voted for Mokona because she never should have been given the ability to talk. I liked her, it, in Magic Knight Rayearth but Tsubasa already had a mascot in the form of Sakura, it didn't need another one.
Ahiru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Heh, my pick as well Razz
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Does Excalibur count as a mascot? I'd like to kick him to the curb. Not in the sense of removing him from the series (because his episodes do have some really funny moments) but just because I'd actually like to kick him a few times.

And, yay, Mokona! As for a mascot I'd like to keep, I'll take MKR's version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for some Macross Loving here. But I always am. Nekki Basara? I guess it might be more voice?

Anyway, I am generally fine with most mascots, I am tolerant. I do agree that the Tachikoma are definately treated as mascots in the manga and the TV anime, as well as more seriously within the plot. However, I would beware attempting to kick one to the curb! After all, they are still powerful tactical tanks, either hurt your foot or beware the kick back.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Tachicomas are absolutely mascots. You don't give something voices and personalities like that for any other purpose. They could've simply been futuristic tanks; no talking or anything.

Considering that TODAY cars and planes can give verbal feedback, the idea that a tank with a sophisticated AI would not be able to speak is almost absurd. Especially since other, less advanced machines on the same show can talk.

The tachikomas are used for battles, and in both 1st & 2nd gigs spoiler[They give their lives to save their comrades]. They are also used to explore themes like as when does an AI (if ever) come alive. They are full fledged characters who are vital to the main plot of both parts of the tv series.

Compare this with the cat from Trigun who has no real significance with the main plot. Or Ein from Cowboy Bebop, who is almost always handily back on the ship during episodes and who conveniently leaves the show with Ed so that the show can get on with the main plot's conclusion. Or Kon from Bleach, who could have disappeared after his introductory episode and the major arcs would have continued on exactly the same without him.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Aizen-chan wrote:
The tachikomas are used for battles, and in both 1st & 2nd gigs spoiler[They give their lives to save their comrades]. They are also used to explore themes like as when does an AI (if ever) come alive. They are full fledged characters who are vital to the main plot of both parts of the tv series.

Compare this with the cat from Trigun who has no real significance with the main plot. Or Ein from Cowboy Bebop, who is almost always handily back on the ship during episodes and who conveniently leaves the show with Ed so that the show can get on with the main plot's conclusion. Or Kon from Bleach, who could have disappeared after his introductory episode and the major arcs would have continued on exactly the same without him.
Why, exactly, does being important to the plot disqualify the Tachikomas from being mascots? By that rule, many of the most significant mascots in anime history are disqualified (including about half of the poll).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4