• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Moon o Sagashite Licensed by Viz ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeahjesse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
It also made us conservatives puke.

My point exactly! Localization is a pansy attempt to gain audience. It's better to have 500,000 loyal fans who like Full Moon wo Sagashite for what it is than 200,000 tv-watchers who like Full Moon wo Sagashite because they're waiting for Yu-Gi-Oh to come on.

Sir_Brass wrote:
I'm pretty confident that the manga will do fine, as it's harder to really degrade manga (except with crummy and/or inaccurate translations, or simply making up new dialogue to replace the original)

I wonder whose job that is. Maybe they approach it like MadLibs.

littlegreenwolf: You icon is ADORABLE. And I love FY, to I'll be looking out for that.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
yeahjesse wrote:
I would give it a dub for the people with Digital Cable services and The Anime Network. Keep the songs Japanese. Localizing it is a waste of time, effort and money. Especially considering the size of the audience.

Umm... You're contradicting yourself there.

Giving it a dub is part of the localization process.

-t
yeahjesse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
to tempest:
Sir_Brass wrote:
The point of dubs (as well as subs) is to allow audiences that do not speak the production's native language to understand it as well, and thus enjoy the story as much as the original intended audience (language-wise, not demographically).

Changing the language is not going as far as like... I don't know... Changing taiyaki to Aunt Jemima pancakes (Filled with bean paste? Ew. Pas un bon exemple).
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Ok ok, about the dubbing thing. Don't need to pick on the whole idea being changed completely. I mean, we know it takes place in Japan since well, Eichi is "in America". Keyword: America. Which means, almost all Japanese culture reference should be remain intact.

They could dub the songs, yes. But then think about it. If Mitsuki sung in "English", doesn't it help her become a better singer if the message can be easily sent to the states? Sure, I know. Original music is always better and by doing this may change the fact that Mitsuki isn't suppose to know English well. However, as long as the story is intact and the character development remains in addition to the approval of the creator to allow such changes to understand that message they want to get across, then we have nothing to argue against.

It's kinda like people picking on Fushigi Yugi First Edition when Viz "dub" which music artists Miaka likes to Mariah Carey or something. We make not like it, but Yuu Watase DID approve the change.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
my point is this, dubbing it into english from the original language is in all essence, changing the original. If you're going to do something, you do it, 100%. Don't half-ass it. You dub it, you dub it right. You dub it so the most amount of english speakers can accept it. If you want it in it's non-localized form, buy the dvds. That's what all the dub fans tell us sub fans. And I agree. We're the fringe group in a fringe group. We have to deal with it, and deal with it we shall! M-fing Otaking! If you want something done right, you pay the extra.

It's not the 400,000 hardcore fans and the 200,000 television fans. Television fans probably outnumber the hardcores a whole lot. It's a lot easier to turn the tv on then it is to go to store(online or not) drop 20 to 30 bucks for 3 to 5 episodes and then watch it. Not everyone is like us =P Most people are "normal."

Not only this, Full Moon would be a great addition to 4kids plan of expanding their shows for girls. I'd rather have a localized version of full moon in people's minds than friggin Winks club or ugh...Totally Spies.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
It's shoujo and it's not easily marketable to a mainstream children's audience, so everyone worried about it getting a localized dub is worried for nothing as it has no chance of showing up on television outside of, maybe, TAN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
And besides, even if 4Kids does get Full Moon wo Sagashite, there's no doubt that they'll cover up the fact Mitsuki will die from cancer which is seriously an important aspect of the story.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
4Kids isn't going to touch this. Just because they're handling a relatively-marketable colour-coded magical girl cartoon like Tokyo Mew Mew does not mean they're going to delve much further into shoujo, especially not shoujo shows with rather serious plotlines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I know that. I'm just speaking in ungodly hypothetical terms.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I know that you were speaking hypothetically, but, if I don't state the obvious here, a few of the people who are convinced that 4Kids is eager to license every anime under the sun, no matter how unmarketable to a wide juvenile audience it is, will take it at face value and will spread it on some of the other message boards I visit as though it's a credible rumour, which it is not.
yeahjesse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
It's not the 400,000 hardcore fans and the 200,000 television fans. Television fans probably outnumber the hardcores a whole lot. It's a lot easier to turn the tv on then it is to go to store(online or not) drop 20 to 30 bucks for 3 to 5 episodes and then watch it. Not everyone is like us =P Most people are "normal."

I suggested 50k hardcore fans and 200k tv fans, so you reversed the ratio.

I can't see the point in producing anime for those who watch it casually and therefore take it for granted. They aren't the ones emptying their wallets, and the ratings aren't high enough to make a difference, anyway. It's more beneficial for everyone to make the dubs as light as possible. I mean, why go out of your way to change it? Don't you think it's an insult to the viewer's intelligence?

The only reason I ever buy anime is if I really love it already or need the footage for an art project. As it is, I think the most annoying dub in the history of the world would have to be Love Hina. That's not a televised series. So where lies the purpose in making it so exponentially terrible? Whoever sees the dub paid for it in some way, anyway.
darkchibi07 wrote:
And besides, even if 4Kids does get Full Moon wo Sagashite, there's no doubt that they'll cover up the fact Mitsuki will die from cancer which is seriously an important aspect of the story.

The premise of the story is that she will die of cancer, so she wants to follow her dreams before then. That means that the actions of most characters on the show always draw back to the fact that Mitsuki is special, that Mitsuki is dying. Did you see the end? spoiler[Did you mean they won't cover up the fact that she LIVES?]
hkrok76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:17 am Reply with quote
yeahjesse wrote:
My point exactly! Localization is a pansy attempt to gain audience. It's better to have 500,000 loyal fans who like Full Moon wo Sagashite for what it is than 200,000 tv-watchers who like Full Moon wo Sagashite because they're waiting for Yu-Gi-Oh to come on.

sooo....

It's not the watchers that shell out. The advertisers are the ones that pay the money for television. They pay enough to keep these stations a live. If everything was made for "fans" or people who would appreciate everything about it, then there would be a lot less stuff out in the world. Unfortunately, that's not how the world works. That's not how it should work. If everything is appreciated, then there's less of a point to appreciate anything. Let mainstream be the mainstream. Most people are casual about everything. Most people that watch movies just watch them. It's how we are. There's nothing wrong with it. Just because you don't want something you enjoy to be changed around, doesn't mean that it should be denied to these people. Sure, they need it in the best version possible, but unless you want them to watch it in all it's purity, localization is the best way to "feed" the casual watchers. That's fine. Don't worry. Fullmoon will always be there, no matter what anyone does to it for domestic release.

Anyways, why do you even watch dubs? If you love the show so much, then wouldn't you rather want to watch it as unadulterated as possible? If so, then don't care about the dub. Be mad if they don't release the original on dvd.

Oh yeah, there being absolutely no chance that 4kids will get fullmoon? Stranger things have happened.
cell21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:58 am Reply with quote
I might get the Full Moon manga by viz,but for the anime which is really good ,i suggest Bandai have the rights towards to the anime.They did a great job with Escaflwone the Tv series and the dubbing for the Ecaflowne Movie opening was superb.Full moon should be treated with respect and Bandai treats their animes with care!!!! Imagine a perfect collection Full moon compared to the recent Escaflwone boxset.Bliss
yeahjesse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
Anyways, why do you even watch dubs? If you love the show so much, then wouldn't you rather want to watch it as unadulterated as possible? If so, then don't care about the dub. Be mad if they don't release the original on dvd.

It's a valid argument, but sometimes real fans can't purchase and experience large amounts of unadulterated anime. For example, the first time I saw Chobits was on digital cable. I had to stop watching because Chii was so annoying. Granted, she has barely any dialogue, but hearing her say "take care of yourself" induced headaches.

But, despite the obnoxious voice acting and severe loss of beauty (as compared to the manga), Chobits seemed culturally sound to me. Realizing that, I don't see dubbing as a problem. I can't imagine WHY Full Moon would appeal to young American audiences (or, I can't imagine why any network would think it would), especially with the heavy bits about love, cancer and suicide.

I still oppose your point that localization is good. It isn't. It hinders the viewer's ability to become more cultured in the 20 minutes per episode they spend watching. It literally is retardation.

Also, I generally don't concern myself with things I take lightly. I watch anime (and movies) out of general interest. I do not find it relaxing to waste any amount of time on something that does not benefit me in some way. If I want to be entertained, I expect to be very entertained. There's really nothing casual about it (in my life).

Those who produce anime in the Western Hemisphere should show pride in their work and do a good job. Some companies do, and their projects tend to reflect that. After a few screw-ups, people are supposed to stop settling for mediocrity, Viz is supposed to correct whatever caused them to make mistakes in the past. They don't have to raise the bar, but to lower it without just cause isn't doing anyone any favors.

Localization is not a just cause. Make it comprehensible to English-speakers and that should be fine.

I don't like reading subtitles all the time, so I'm learning Japanese. That's probably rash, but I'd rather do that then allow the sub/dub war to actually apply to my situation.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
you're gonna wind up like me....with a lot of grey hairs that really shouldn't be there. Stop caring so much. Just try to go through life without caring so much about how other people are becoming uncultured or retarded. You can't change the world, unless you put every single ounce of strength into trying, and eve then. So calm down. Work at getting a good job, and then you can earn enough cash to buy these things. Anime is a luxury, if you're not willing to...um...bypass some laws to watch it the way you want, you gotta wait, and pay. That's the ultimate fate of a anime fan. We're the outsiders. We're not the weekend anime fan. The watchers. We're the ones that breathe this stuff. With that, life is going to be harder on us. So deal with it, but don't let it bother you so much. I would so rather have Full Moon on television then whatever the suits in the US think kids should watch. Loonatics can lick my left nut sack. So that's why I am for localization. I won't watch, but hey, I will finish school, get a good job, and buy my dvds. That's my life as a fan. It's a fate I am 100% happy to abide.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3