• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media: Shonen Jump Alpha to Move to Simultaneous Model 'Very Soon'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tsukento

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Of course, it took one publisher HOW LONG to do near simultaneous releases?

A little too late?

As opposed to how many other publishers...?

Last I saw, Viz is the only manga publisher that seems to be even doing this. Not to mention, they've said time and time again that the reasoning behind the delays have always been because that's what the higher ups in Japan want.

That's what it all comes down to - if the Japanese parent companies are willing to allow simultaneous releases and with or without a delay.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
How are they gonna translate a chapter EVERY WEEK?

You'd be surpised how fast they can translate stuff. A manga chapter normally don't have a lot of words to begin with (that's the case with shonen, not shojo). They honestly can translate 3 volumes in a month. Someone translates it and it gets passed down to the editor.

If the manga market was larger, they would put out their volumes out faster. it's like how they pushed the Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece volumes out to play catchup. Since those are the most popular, they found it worth to put 3 volumes out a month until it caught up. Which, Dark Horse finally caught up to Japanese release of Berserk. And I love Yen Press in how they print the omnibuses, it means the US releases will catch up faster. Sort of wish Viz would do omnibuses...for series that aren't just reprint.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:07 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven in a thread in the manga forum wrote:
Thing is, Olympos was finished with only 2 volumes. That makes more logic to put something out that's already finished in one go.

As Betrayal Knows My name is STILL going and not really sure how long it's meant to be. And Odagiri Hotaru...doesn't seem to be in a rush to finish it off. When Yen Press catches up with the Japanese release, I RATHER NOT wait when 2 more volumes come out and I feel that's what they're going to do. Therefore lies the problem in why they even did it in the first place.

Contrary much?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:03 am Reply with quote
Bout time. Someone said that some Shonen Jump series come out a week early on scanlations. Are Bleach and Naruto like that? Also, is this a subscription service like Crunchyroll?
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

I've translated more text in a two hour final exam than what's in your typical manga chapter. I can't imagine an actual experienced translator who is fluent in the language would struggle to translate one chapter a week.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:

Opposed to how much whining the publishers made over piracy despite the answer being squarely right in their faces?
Genet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Tsukento wrote:

Opposed to how much whining the publishers made over piracy despite the answer being squarely right in their faces?

What appeared to be the issue was not that Viz was being difficult, but that their parent companies, Shueisha in this case, didn't want to do simultaneous releases even though Viz wanted to.
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Last I saw, Viz is the only manga publisher that seems to be even doing this.

Yen Press has been publishing each new Soul Eater Not! chapter in its online magazine Yen Plus on the same day as its Japanese release for several months now. To my knowledge, Soul Eater Not! is the first manga series to receive a simultaneous Japan / US release.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Bout time. Someone said that some Shonen Jump series come out a week early on scanlations.

Yes, people in Japan bootleg from the issues that have been distributed to newstands in advance of the cover date, and then scanlators torrent download the bootleg scans from Japan and translate the bootlegs.

Quote:
Are Bleach and Naruto like that?

The Japanese bootleggers scan the entire issue when they get their hands on it.

Quote:
Also, is this a subscription service like Crunchyroll?

Its not buffet pricing like Crunchyroll. You either pay $1 for a single issue, with access expiring in four weeks, or $26 for a year (48 issues) with access to each issue expiring in a year.

If you follow three SJ alpha series, its under a quarter a chapter, so I reckon they have the right price point for the digital equivalent of the big weekly manga serials.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I've translated more text in a two hour final exam than what's in your typical manga chapter. I can't imagine an actual experienced translator who is fluent in the language would struggle to translate one chapter a week.

It's a matter if they want to translate it so fast...meaning, is it worth the money to do it so fast. They mostly find their top selling manga worth the fast release. I know with finished series, they translate it all before they the company says they have the license, they did that with Sailor Moon...I don't see why they couldn't put it out monthly and not bi-monthly.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

It's a matter if they want to translate it so fast...meaning, is it worth the money to do it so fast. They mostly find their top selling manga worth the fast release. I know with finished series, they translate it all before they the company says they have the license, they did that with Sailor Moon...I don't see why they couldn't put it out monthly and not bi-monthly.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I know with finished series, they translate it all before they the company says they have the license, they did that with Sailor Moon...I don't see why they couldn't put it out monthly and not bi-monthly.

Huh? Never heard that before. Why would a company pay professional translators for a property that they can't publish yet?

On Shonen Jump Alpha-this news does tip the scales for me a bit. I'll never quite understand why anime (which costs more to produce and air) can get legal, free-with-ads simultaneous release with Japan while manga publishers make it seem that a simultaneous release is nearly impossible, let alone an ad-supported model. (or is it the other way around? Not even JManga, the legal manga site that's arguably most like Crunchyroll, is considering an ad-supported model while Yen Press and now Viz are willing and able to release translated chapters digitally simultaneous with Japan's print date *only if* people are willing to pay a subscription fee...)

Nevertheless, Viz and Shueisha are really trying to reach out to manga fans with this step. Yes, even to the leeches who never seem to pay for anything (but who are willing to sit through ads to watch anime, and do tend to buy merchandise and attend cons--even "leeches" have their place in the fandom!)

So, basically I'm praising Shonen Jump & Viz on this move but also asking why publishers have never even tried a legal ad-supported model when all the anime studios are doing it-and then packaging the most popular titles in a physical release at a premium for fans willing to pay. What is it that separates print from video that makes a Aniplex approach so difficult for Shueisha or Kodansha?

(That is a sincere question that's been bugging me for years!)
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
It takes me about 2 days to translate a 30minute anime episode and my japanese is a D+
so doing a manga WITH the text already typed and easily readible (in japanese) it should be a cake walk.

I dont think anyone will reverse import manga chapters in english. any manga leaks at viz might be a life threatening situation, lol
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

configspace wrote:
I see. Then I presume Viz is probably carefully choosing titles for SJ Alpha that won't require censoring

Viz has been censoring Naruto for years. Airbrushing blood, adding towels/steam to cover up nekkid body parts, obscuring panels (Konohamaru's Sexy Boy on Boy Jutsu), editing Naruto flipping the bird, and editing a pivotal scene in 36 because of underage smoking, etc, etc. Strangely, the scene in volume 36 that got edited is UNedited in the databook release.

Evil or Very Mad Mad Crying or Very sad
Dammit, I guess it would be strange if they left it uncensored digitally but censored it for the print volumes. I haven't read the manga yet, but I assume Nura must also be censored then, since I recall nudity in the anime.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:20 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Huh? Never heard that before. Why would a company pay professional translators for a property that they can't publish yet?

Just because they haven't announced a title, doesn't mean they don't have it. Like, if Viz were announce "title", doesn't mean they didn't have it before hand. Like Koda had all the volumes of Sailor Moon translate before they even said they had the title, just means they can put it out faster. Because when companies put this stuff on the market, they have to give a 3-6 month advance to the stores.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
I've been subscribed to Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha since it debuted, and I'd like to talk about it for a moment, to clear up misconceptions.

- There is no censoring or redrawing at all in Alpha. The text is translated, that's it. SFX aren't redrawn either, but a translation of the onomotopeia is included next to the SFX.

- The image quality is far, far beyond what you get with scanlations, which are scans of a magazine printed on cheap paper, which then need to be manually edited and redrawn to make look halfway decent. The manga in Alpha isn't scanned, it's pristine and crisp, straight from the Japanese editors.

- There are virtually no ads in the magazine; usually limited to two or three pages of advertisements in the back for upcoming digital and print volumes of whatever series got the lead color that week.

- They currently have ten ongoing series, including series that have just debuted in WSJ. In the last few months they've added five new series to the lineup, with plans to continue adding more. They don't feature all of the series in the Japanese magazine, but they're getting close, and it shows a lot of faith on their part to translate unproven series like Barrage and Takama-Ga-Hara. In fact, Barrage has already been canceled due to lack of popularity in Japan.

- A subscription to Alpha is cheap. $25 a year. That's 48 issues. Each issue ranges from 120-240 pages. Plus they have free special issues and one-shots (for example in August they published a free 65-page, full-color chapter of Nura: Rise of the Yokai clan). That's a great value.

Finally, on a personal note, the translations are way more professional than what you get with scanlations, especially if you're using aggregate websites to read the chapters as soon as possible.

It's far more enjoyable to read a solid, professional translation, with English onomotopeia, appropriate dialogue and lingo for the characters, and the proper two-page layout that manga is intended to be read in. I personally can't go back to scanlations of One Piece. VIZ's translations are that much better; scanlations just annoy me now.

Plus, the fact that it includes a bunch of series means you might discover something you'd never read otherwise. Heck, I would never even have heard of Takama-Ga-Hara or Barrage if not for Alpha.

Anyway, I suggest people give it a shot and decide for themselves. They've got a free 300 page preview now, which features all of the series in Alpha plus an interview with Kishimoto.

http://www.vizmanga.com/reader/1140
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3