• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Matching Service' for Japanese Otaku Seeking Friends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zerreth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
I'd just like to remind everyone that otaku doesn't refer specifically to anime and that this article is on ANN because it has anime related topics.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
Well it sure sucks to be the 3rd and 4th generation anime otakus, when their obsession on moe anime consumed their times, energies, resources, and ultimately themselves. In fact, that's exactly why they can't socialize in real life. Because their self-serving moe anime obsession won't help them gain real social skills, which will require them to focus on other people in real life with their times, energies, and resources, instead of fictional characters that serve to be the vocal point of their obsession.

Well it sure sucks to be the 3rd and 4th generation otaku-haters, when their obsession on hating consumed their times, energies, resources, and ultimately themselves. In fact, that's exactly why they can't socialize in real life. Because their self-serving hater obsession won't help them gain real social skills, which will require them to focus on other people in real life with their times, energies, and resources, instead of other strangers that serve to be the vocal point of their obsession.
Well played, good sir.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Every time a new social networking site appears, there are always people who rail against it, going on at length about how wrong or creepy it is (assuming it isn't a PC, mainstream and totally accepted past time like watching sports or something.) The hate posts on here are just another example of people lashing out at people who are different.

Broad stereotypes for a whole group of people? Check. Double standards? Check.

I for one see this as just another social networking site, though one targeted at a broad range of fans:
Quote:
hardcore fans of manga, anime, novels/books, cosplay, games, idols/character voices, live-action special-effects (tokusatsu)/hero shows, military, toys, vehicles, computers, and martial arts.
For those whose IQ's have dropped due to irrational hate, there's a lot more than just anime otaku on that list. And can anyone on this thread let alone this site claim that they don't share some of those interests? Can anyone here claim that they haven't felt more connected with fellow fans because of ANN?

All this new site is an effort to help people find others with common interests. If it were a site seeking to unite criminals or terrorists or something law-breaking and violence-making, then I could understand anger and hate. Explain to me why a group of non-criminal, non-psychotic fans of the same entertainment media we love can't seek out fellow fans on a website?

(By the way, here's a definition of a sociopath since some folks clearly don't understand what it is since they think home-bound otaku who have no life or friends are sociopaths:
Quote:
People with this disorder appear to be charming at times, and make relationships, but to them, these are relationships in name only. They are ended whenever necessary or when it suits them, and the relationships are without depth or meaning, including marriages. They seem to have an innate ability to find the weakness in people, and are ready to use these weaknesses to their own ends through deceit, manipulation, or intimidation, and gain pleasure from doing so.

They appear to be incapable of any true emotions, from love to shame to guilt. They are quick to anger, but just as quick to let it go, without holding grudges. No matter what emotion they state they have, it has no bearing on their future actions or attitudes.

They rarely are able to have jobs that last for any length of time, as they become easily bored, instead needing constant change. They live for the moment, forgetting the past, and not planning the future, not thinking ahead what consequences their actions will have. They want immediate rewards and gratification.

I think that long quote speaks for itself as to how wrong it is to call an anime otaku/hikikomori a "sociopath" while claiming such people have no social lives and are fixated on one obsession. Sociopaths can and generally are social and like constant change. (For the record, it's not called Anti-Social Personality Disorder because you're asocial, it's called that because you're a manipulative, violent, amoral and criminal jerkass. Avoidant Personality Disorder is much more likely for extreme obsessed anime otaku/hikikomori who have no social lives.)

So I'm going to say, the service sounds like a cool idea and I'd love to be able to go on a version of that and find people who love the same types of anime, manga, etc. that I do and even the same characters I do. That would be cool. I don't see the "dark side" of this website though any and every social networking site can be used for evil.
ninjagal6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
for and odd reason, this makes me really happy. I suppose I feel very happy because I was persecuted and attacked for my interests, and it was so hard for me to realte to other people. when I go to anime conventions, I have such a good feeling, there aren't even words for it. I feel that I'm finnaly in a place where everyone is like me. I think this website is a really good place for people to make connections. look how well cosplay.com is doing. its because there are all people there with the same intersts, which creates an instant brother/sisterhood.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
@Richard J.
You brought up a lot of good points about an online social network that's designed and aimed to have Japanese otakus who are alike engaging each others within the Japanese otaku subculture. So what's wrong for me saying such an online service that's more or less keeping Japanese otakus to themselves and their obsession? Does the said online service offer more than just a "compatibility survey" for "hardcore fans of manga, anime, novels/books, cosplay, games, idols/character voices, live-action special-effects (tokusatsu)/hero shows, military, toys, vehicles, computers, and martial arts"? Sure it does, it's an online window for those who would like to observe the Japanese otaku fandom, about their latest trend settings, and their ways of social interactivity. By offering detailed statistics on their preferences.

This online social network for Japanese otaku fandom is not a none-profit social service funded by the Japanese government, in order to incite social activities among the Japanese otakus, no. For it doesn't even offer anything outside of their subculture while at the same time, it only host information and services from its various supporters and sponsors, who are targeting the Japanese otaku fandom with their ads. All the while the Japanese otaku fandom are still just as clueless on how to make relationships that are "with depth or meaning, including marriages", because "they live for the moment, forgetting the past, and not planning the future, not thinking ahead what consequences their actions will have. They want immediate rewards and gratification." In another word, they are otakus because they're consumed by their obsessions. And this website will just further solidify their fates by grouping them with others that share their obsessions.
AgustinTadeo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
That'll be good if they created an american or english version ....I live in Massachusetts the most of the people here are English Speakers But I'm Spanish.....and there is not anybody at 25 miles with my same hobbies, the anime fans from this area .....are something elses.....nothing like me.

The Idea is nothing bad really..........Otakus are different and when a guy there likes collections of action figures and the Yaoi the other here likes cosplay and Shojo....so.....This Matching Service Sounds pretty good.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then the user can see listings of personal pages of other users, rated by percentage of compatible matches ("93% Match").

That's just like MyAnimeList!
Only in this case it appears to have greater intentions than the 'compatibility' feature on such a website.
Fortunately for me I've already made plenty of friends on places such as this. Though I sometimes wish I could meet people away from keyboard, it's comforting to always know that I can get in touch with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Though I sometimes wish I could meet people away from keyboard.
Make friend with actors, it's their business to know all kinds of people from various walks of life; for they're obsessed with people, but in a good way.
kj1980

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Why not? It'll be cool if all you guys came in and joined for this service, it will establish a true Japanese-English link for anime fans, and even a cross-boundary relationship tied together by mutual like of anime!
plastique

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
I'd be shocked if this is the first service of its kind in Japan. If America has a couple otaku matching sites, Japan should have plenty more, I would assume. Most people will use it to make buddies to meet up at cons and stuff, just like anime fans all over the world do. Nothing wrong with that.
errantrogue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
i'm oddly intrigued as to what sort of acronyms and the like would be used on such sites... both japanese and american. would they be ascii analogs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3