• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Right Stuf's Nozomi Entertainment Announces New Street Date of March 24, 2009 for the Maria Watc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Shoddy job =/= all they can afford to do right now.
Zipper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I'm firmly in the camp that if a large studio like ADV (also including Bandai, Viz, Funi, etc) cannot dub a series, then it shouldn't be licensed at all.

That's kind of a selfish thing to say, no? Why deny people like me (who don't mind a sub-only release) releases that we wouldn't get otherwise just because "the other group" isn't getting what they wanted? You could simply not buy it and move on then to say it shouldn't be licensed at all.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
It's like I said before, myself, in a topic that got locked thanks to a wonderfully mature and refined poster's ramblings -- if I was truly interested in a show I would bite the bullet and get a sub-only release. Again, most of Nozomi's stuff doesn't appeal to me, but let's face it, Viz, Bandai, and FUNimation are probably three of the only studios anymore who can afford/market stuff that's dubbed. It wouldn't surprise me if in the very near future, they were the only ones left doing dub work.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Of course I do. That doesn't mean I'm going to support a company that doesn't do it. o_O I'm firmly in the camp that if a large studio like ADV (also including Bandai, Viz, Funi, etc) cannot dub a series, then it shouldn't be licensed at all. That is, unless it's -insanely- cheap (Clannad is not) or has some really, really epic extras.

First of all, I wouldn't count ADV among the top dogs in the industry anymore. I'm more inclined to list them among the smaller studios now. Second of all, I agree with what a previous poster said about it being somewhat selfish to wish a series wasn't licensed because your demands aren't being met.

SongstressCela wrote:
I'm still really failing to see why "Because it's the best they can do" is a valid reason to support a practice you don't agree with. You don't reward someone for a shoddy job being the best they can manage in any other industry, why does anime get exempt?

If you don't want to support it then don't. However, you should at least be able to see the reasoning for releasing certain shows as sub-only.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Of course I do. That doesn't mean I'm going to support a company that doesn't do it. o_O

Because what's going on here isn't that Nozomi is doing a 'shoddy job', it's that you're 'completely ignoring the stark reality of the market'.

You're living inside this little bubble where your demands are the only important thing; I can understand not wanting to buy it because it doesn't have a dub. OK. Fine. But making these big angry statements, blanket judgments, and accusations that the company is doing a 'bad job' (something not echoed by anyone who actually buys these things - Nozomi does a great packaging job and include a lot of cool little bonuses like art books and extensive liner notes) just smacks of whiny grandstanding.

The reality of the market right now is that any show that isn't a guaranteed blockbuster - or at least has the potential to break even - probably won't get a dub. It's not that the companies not doing dubs are doing a bad job or being purposefully cheap, it's because if they were to dub it, that would be a terrible business decision and they would lose a lot of money.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac -- I'm sure stuff that "won't be a surefire hit" pretty much means most stuff that either isn't on AS or doesn't have Shonen Jump's fingerprints all over it, these days.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

The reality of the market right now is that any show that isn't a guaranteed blockbuster - or at least has the potential to break even - probably won't get a dub. It's not that the companies not doing dubs are doing a bad job or being purposefully cheap, it's because if they were to dub it, that would be a terrible business decision and they would lose a lot of money.
Then it's a case failed if they do, and failed if they don't. They are like a car only running on it's battery because they can't afford an alternator. They will run only as long as the sub only market will give them enough to carry on. But the less that works, the less they will run, until it's off to the knacker's yard with the rest. FUNimation seem to be making a success out of dubbing niche titles, but RightStuf is no FUNimation.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Then it's a case failed if they do, and failed if they don't. They are like a car only running on it's battery because they can't afford an alternator. They will run only as long as the sub only market will give them enough to carry on. But the less that works, the less they will run, until it's off to the knacker's yard with the rest. FUNimation seem to be making a success out of dubbing niche titles, but RightStuf is no FUNimation.

Unlike FUNi, who has stuff that can reach a wider audience like Darker Than Black and Claymore, Nozomi seems to ONLY focus on obscure stuff. Hypothetically, what if Nozomi took a risk and tried to dub a show that might have wider appeal than Aria or Maria Watches Over Us?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Unlike FUNi, who has stuff that can reach a wider audience like Darker Than Black and Claymore, Nozomi seems to ONLY focus on obscure stuff. Hypothetically, what if Nozomi took a risk and tried to dub a show that might have wider appeal than Aria or Maria Watches Over Us?
They have one all ready. VR Emma, It's a costume romantic drama that would have the same appeal as the same in live action that our BBC have produced and have won awards for. Look how well the Jane Austin films have succeeded. Nozomi can't tell me Emma is far too niche to warrant a dub, when the quality is better than Steam Boy was.
Zipper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I rarely ever hear anyone talk about Emma. I really wouldn't consider that a broad appeal series.

Unit is probably talking more along the lines of something with true broad appeal, like a DBZ or FMA or Gundam.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Zipper wrote:
I rarely ever hear anyone talk about Emma. I really wouldn't consider that a broad appeal series.
I bet you rarely ever hear anyone talk about Jane Austin either. Wink
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk -- I should mention my interest in Emma stems from my interest in the Victorian era as well as me being a sucker for sweet romance. Both things seem to have a lot of wide appeal, IMO.
Zipper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that this is anime we're talking about. Anime is a niche market in and of itself. I don't know if comparing something like a Jane Austin-adapted live-action work that has won awards to a similar anime, that has won no major awards, that a small anime distribution company has released is fair evidence that it has wide appeal.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Zipper wrote:
Don't forget that this is anime we're talking about. Anime is a niche market in and of itself. I don't know if comparing something like a Jane Austin-adapted live-action work that has won awards to a similar anime, that has won no major awards, that a small anime distribution company has released is fair evidence that it has wide appeal.
You could basically say that for just about every anime except Spirited Away.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Zipper wrote:

You beat me to it. That's what I was about to say. Emma doesn't have a lot of popularity within the anime fanbase. There's no way it would appeal beyond the fanbase because almost no anime do that. The only anime that I can think of that do that is typical shounen fare and Miyazaki films. Most people would just write it off because it's animated.

EDIT:
Mohawk wrote:
You could basically say that for just about every anime except Spirited Away.

That's kind of the point. There's almost no anime that have the kind of penetration outside the fanbase that you are talking about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5