• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Valvrave the Liberator, Gurren Lagann TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote
Would it kill some of you to glance at amazon.

They have the legends brand new for 50 and plenty of sellers for 45-50 bucks. For a 26/7 ep set thats about standard. If you just buy the singles, 3 is the hardest to get at around 35, but 2 is at 18 , and 1 can be had for less than a dollar , 5 with shipping.

Then you factor in that ebay tends to have cheaper prices in its auction setting, so I would not be shocked if you can hit the 30s if you get lucky in an auction.

People need to release, that even after they went belly up, on a handful of bandai sets are really expensive and they are generally ones that were always expense. And most sets are available in singles which can be had for relatively cheap.

and quite franky GL had one fo the worst endings of all time, so its no big loss even if you dont see. What happened to Nina was bs to the highest degree and served no real purpose to the story.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:50 am Reply with quote
Worse ending? No big loss?

Nah, that ending was fantastic and extremely heart felt and even if that was so heck anime fans should be use to since most anime have crappy endings anyway.

What was wrong with the ending? Did it need to be super happy? It was perfectly bittersweet. What should have happen? They become gods and basically become what the anti-spirals warned against?

And I don't think anyone should miss GL. The art, storytelling, and animation are fantastic. It truly is the thing that shows how awesome and great Japanese cartoons are. The zany action that's so kinetic and full of life. This is what anime is about. I haven't seen a better show since.

And that's the problem. The bandai release looks fine, but jesus Blu ray would look amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
What happened to Nina was bs to the highest degree and served no real purpose to the story.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Your right they should of smashd the universe apart to resQ her and been all badass and shit that would have been a REAL ending not taht crummy one reinforcing the themes of growing up and moving forward and letting the past stay in the past ang dumb stuf liek that. Whats the point of an anime where the point is to win fights and be epic if spoiler[they cant even save muh waifu]?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:57 am Reply with quote
^
I thought the whole point of the show was you can do anything if you're manly enough and have the willpower. I find it very odd that they
Quote:
can literally throw galaxies like shurikens but they can't even save one girl

I don't see how themes like growing up and moving forward are supposed to prevent you from spoiler[saving your friend].
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:04 am Reply with quote
It's Gainax. If the last episode couldn't be cut by three minutes and make a better ending then they're not doing their job.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I thought the whole point of the show was you can do anything if you're manly enough and have the willpower.

That's part of it - it's shown through one character who particularly embodies this mindset that it's insufficient and immature. Which is fine to a degree. The finale shows that you should temper it with maturity: they could reverse causality and
Quote:
revive the dead
, but that would be dwelling in the past on a thematic level and on a narrative level threatening the entire Universe, doing exactly what the antagonists were fighting to stop them doing. Humanity's impulse is to drive forward like a drill/spiral/helix, but doing that blindly and without logic or reason will lead to destruction. You can win fights by doing that, but not manage a government (which is incidentally why Simon retires at the end, his job done).
dtm42 wrote:
I find it very odd that they can spoiler[literally throw galaxies like shurikens but they can't even save one girl].

spoiler[Her existence was an extension of a single entity they destroyed. It would be like erasing Hitler from history and then discovering one of your friends was a distant relative. Again, they could have saved her, but they really, really shouldn't have.]
dtm42 wrote:
I don't see how themes like growing up and moving forward are supposed to prevent you from spoiler[saving your friend].

spoiler[It wasn't a matter of saving her, she was already dead when they killed the Anti-Spiral. She was a leftover entity; saving her would have entailed a gross misuse of Spiral Power, doing exactly what an excess of which would destroy the Universe.]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:29 am Reply with quote
Simon spoiler[DID save Nia in least in what was important]

spoiler[she died as herself believing in humanity]
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Simon spoiler[DID save Nia in least in what was important]

spoiler[she died as herself believing in humanity]
Yes, I'm sure the spoiler[small army of Named chracters who themselves laid their lives] are appreciative of that.

Lemme put it this way; no.

Last edited by ConanSan on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Yes, I'm sure the small army of Named chracters who themselves laid their lives are apreciatve of that.

Lemme put it this way; no.

I honestly have no idea what you are even trying to say. It sounds like you are putting your own feelings for the ending on the characters.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
Going back to something a couple people mentioned earlier, what was the problem with the Anime Legends encodes for GL?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
People, there's these things called spoiler tags, and they're supposed to be used to conceal discussion of points that could be called spoilers - like, I don't know, what happens at the end of GL that wouldn't necessarily be common knowledge.

Oh, and a couple more posts deleted for going on about the pricing thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

No offense, but haven't people come to expect that this is essentially what any Aniplex of America topic will just be about? Theres not much else to really discuss if people aren't interested in buying it due to it being out of their price range.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
So, what do you guys wanna talk about now?

Uhh...that Valvrave the Liberator show might be good?

It could be ~ probably won't be, if its crud, hopefully it will be fun crud.

Also, seems like very narrow region restrictions on the license for Crunchyroll ~ Aniplex titles seem to have been US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa lately. This one is just US, Canada, UK and Ireland. Wonder if that's an effect of Daisuki.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Key wrote:

No offense, but haven't people come to expect that this is essentially what any Aniplex of America topic will just be about?

Ergo the ban. If its just 10 pages of "let me restate my argument from last time", "this has already been said but I haven't said it yet", people could just link back to their post(s) from the last time they participated in an Aniplex pricing argument.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Key wrote:

No offense, but haven't people come to expect that this is essentially what any Aniplex of America topic will just be about? Theres not much else to really discuss if people aren't interested in buying it due to it being out of their price range.

To avoid heated discussions shouldn't ANN consider not having the option to post/discuss in the forum in notes about Aniplex USA?
LordByron227

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Bloody hell, I missed the drama and the chance to use this again..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W75QxHgpoM
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 24