• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires One Piece

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Awesome? Yes. But will little kids start to complain that Luffy doesn't sound like "the real Luffy" anymore? ... I'm thinking it's quite possible.

Diehard otaku fans will be pleased, but One Piece's (very unfortunate) US demographic miiiiiight not. Look at PUSA's Pokemon for example; regardless of whether PUSA's version is better/more faithful to the original (I'd agree wholeheartedly on the latter, although the former is debatable), there may still be little kids who drop it because of the change. Not necessarily en masse, but this DID happen with Pokemon...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Awesome? Yes. But will little kids start to complain that Luffy doesn't sound like "the real Luffy" anymore? ... I'm thinking it's quite possible.
It's a possibility, but given some of the annecdotal statements I've read of kids complaining about the 4Kids dub themselves, it's probably less likely than we might think. Granted, I have no way to verify those statements but the hostility toward the 4Kids dub does seem to extend beyond the sub-only fans. (I hated it when I first heard it. I'd never heard a word of it in Japanese and I had no respect for the show, but I still thought it was a terrible dub.)

Also, since the dialogue is going to undergo some pretty drastic changes and other environmental changes will occur with the new version (music, less-altered video, etc.) it may seem different enough that kids will treat it differently. Besides, I don't buy all the "kids can't handle things" arguments in general.

Kids are smart enough to know when they're being treated like idiots and, I think, the younger fans of One Piece in the US will welcome the new dub since it won't treat them like morons.

I think, given how bad the sales have been with 4Kids dub DVDs, it won't be hard for the Funimation release to do better.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Given that the change will be a bit drastic (hopefully), It might not be a bad idea to "Z" or "Shippuden" the new episodes, rebranding the american broadcast version of the series as "One Piece: Skypiea" or something like that to show a clean break from the previous run.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
I know I'm happy. I'll be glad to hear things like Arlong's voice without that stupid water effect and Enel calling himself God.

heh, too me, Arlong sounded like Hades from Disney's Hercules who just gargeled too much water after using the bathroom in the morning Laughing

but anyway, even if little kids are upset with the new changes for the funimation dub unlike us true onepiece fans who want a far superior dub, it would'nt matter anyway,because little kids hardly even watch tv in the afternoons,because most little kids would rather be playing outside,go swimming,going to a playground rather than sitting inside watching tv all day,so yeah.

also, little kids could care less if Anime characters get voice changes,because little Kids are'nt smart enough to notice any difference, they just watch anime for fun for the joy of it,hell,when I was a little kid watching the Noozles and the adventures of the little Koala on the old school Nick Jr, I could care less about english voices.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Given that the change will be a bit drastic (hopefully), It might not be a bad idea to "Z" or "Shippuden" the new episodes, rebranding the american broadcast version of the series as "One Piece: Skypiea" or something like that to show a clean break from the previous run.

I was thinking that, though once the Skypiea portion is over that'd be a bit odd, and adding Z to the end would just seem kind of tacky. I do agree that it needs a revitalization, but you need to somehow show people "hey, this is better than before! start watching it!".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 18 of 18