• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Maria the Virgin Witch

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
cheshire1501 wrote:
I alsmost forgot, is show going to even adress the figure of Joanne of Arc? Because that's a figure that is being brought up even today when it comes to people being motivated by faith, and considering her background, her feats become even more ludicrous

We've already had a reference to Joanne of Arc very early on, particularly to how they checked her virginity. After hearing that Maria also had a medical that confirmed that she had not lost her virginity it made me suspect that she also had to suffer the same indignity!
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
One thing I found slightly wrong with this episode was the mention of marriage between Maria and Joseph, since the concept (especially back then) is a very religious one, which obviously doesn't suit Maria's point of view.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
i can hardly put bernard as a hypocrite now especialyl becasue of his botched dialogue, "anythign ins this world can be sued to make the world a better place; be it politics, wars or witches, even..." , I put my bet on religion.

note that I am on the perspective that the reason he did not want maria to stop the battles is that it is close to ending with a win on the france side and maria's interventions just make the english more powerful and make the overall war last longer adn increase the body count.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
One thing I found slightly wrong with this episode was the mention of marriage between Maria and Joseph, since the concept (especially back then) is a very religious one, which obviously doesn't suit Maria's point of view.

Huh? Pagans have marriages too. Marriage is a concept common across cultures far and wide across centuries of human existence. I'm pretty sure if Maria's said "shove it" to the church's perception of justice while still embracing the concept, she can do the same with marriage.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:

Huh? Pagans have marriages too. Marriage is a concept common across cultures far and wide across centuries of human existence. I'm pretty sure if Maria's said "shove it" to the church's perception of justice while still embracing the concept, she can do the same with marriage.

Really? I stand corrected if so. Smile
I'm not a religious person at all, but that's just what's been told to me for a long time. I'm happy that's not the case, partly because this show has been smartly written and I thought it'd be a shame to get something like this wrong.
VocalChameleon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I actually like the Funimation dub of the first episode. I think the actors do a passable job, and I enjoy Austin Tindle (who I usually can only tolerate) as Joseph and Whitney Rodgers as Artemis, and I love how they've finally given Chris Rager an important role after a long time with Garfa. The script, as well, feels very natural; I've come to expect that from Patrick Seitz. I also find myself liking the environment the episode sets up.

Some of the performances, though, aren't that great, as pointed out in Gabriella's review. I do think the direction has something to do with it, since Sonny Strait doesn't have much experience as an ADR director outside of the "Lupin III" franchise, but I also think the French phrases awkwardly inserted throughout add to that as well. I do think it'd probably be better if there were no English accents since there are no French accents, but in defense, it is easier to pull of an English accent and not have it be offensive than a French accent.

I do think there's potential here, but it just needs time to shine through. I think they've said they'd fix up the issues that were apparent in the Broadcast dubs for the DVD/Blu-Ray releases; I think there's a great chance to improve upon it there. For now, though, I'll keep my eye on the Broadcast dub to see if it gets any better with time.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Seems I am the only one that noticed, but Galfa's "girlfiend" is strong as an ox, carrying a grown man in armor with one arm, singing (as in, no huffing or puffing) while walking on her way out of the church? Guess she does not enter the army because she is smart enough to just profit from the spoils.

I have not read the original manga, but unless it was a spoiler in the review saying Michael is going to get a beating next episode, I am intrigued about how will this end. Will Maria lose her powers? I don't buy the thing about her the "virginity curse" taking effect because she was weak of spirit at the moment, said curse never took effect in the first place, cue to her familiars not becoming wild animals again. It would be out of place to say that Maria has gotten stronger than Michael or even Jehovah. Will she be forgiven? For this story to make "sense" Maria must be forgotten completely.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 review: nicely done. It clarified some things for me I hadn't picked up on earlier like why Michael's prior threats and conditions no longer matter.

I would have liked to see a few words about Lollote, who carries most of the LOL quota of the show for herself and ain't nobody's fainting maiden.

However I don't think Maria is going to wipe the floor (clouds?) with Michael. Instead I hope she makes nice. She told Joseph she was being "summoned" and apparently she heeded that summons without bitching or resistance so does that signal a new phase in their relations?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I have not read the original manga, but unless it was a spoiler in the review saying Michael is going to get a beating next episode, I am intrigued about how will this end.

Pretty sure that Gabrielle was just engaging in some wishful thinking there.

I will also be surprised if that meeting comes down to a fight. There's going to be some kind of compromise struck, and I am curious as to exactly how that will be done.

Last edited by Key on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gabbomatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to spoil, but Maria and Joseph do consummate their love over Michael's unconscious body in the manga. I'll be more spoiler-conscious in the future.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
I have not read the original manga, but unless it was a spoiler in the review saying Michael is going to get a beating next episode, I am intrigued about how will this end.

Pretty sure that Gabrielle was just engaging in some wishful thinking there.

I will also be surprised if that meeting comes down to a fight. There's going to be some kind of compromise struck, and I a curious as to exactly how that will be done.

Yeah, it was just a joke.

Gabbomatic wrote:
Sorry to spoil, but Maria and Joseph do consummate their love over Michael's unconscious body in the manga. I'll be more spoiler-conscious in the future.

This is also a joke.

OTL
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking this but:

I assume that the themes mentioned in the review are "to live for the self and not some overarching ideal" and Live for happiness", correct?

I ask because I've been so caught up in the story and characters that I forgot to find the themes of this story besides the superficial.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:50 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I would have liked to see a few words about Lollote, who carries most of the LOL quota of the show for herself and ain't nobody's fainting maiden.

Apparently for Lollote, the Joseph-Galfa duel was more a "boys having a friendly fight". Dunno,spoiler[ she was only shocked for a while when Galfa killed their former boss,] But no more that when Galfa spoiler[slept with that noble girl or vice versa].

Also, I kept on thinking that Galfa could've killed Joseph had he really wanted... or he's the luckiest mercenary ever.

The theme of the series may be: "gosh, those virgins are always overthinking everything!" :p
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
A fine review to finish a season of such for a fine series. I really loved Maria and, similar to Gabriella, it seems to have found its way into my favorites list.

I have to admit that I kind of saw the whole immaculate conception thing coming. (Immaculate Conception, by the way, is not the correct term here. The immaculate conception is the Catholic doctrine that the Virgin Mary was conceived in HER mother's womb free of original sin. The doctrine states that Mary was conceived in the usual way, but God took actions to ensure that her soul was free from original sin. The virgin birth of Jesus is a totally different thing.) From about the time that I came to the 'DUH' moment that the love interest of "The Virgin Maria" was "Joseph", I figured that she was going to end up pregnant without getting to participate in the fun part of the process. The fact that it is Ezekiel who is the bun in the oven is a serious bonus! That scene brought a tear or twelve to my eyes as the sweet, naive little angel-dove tuned translucent and embraced her future mother, the woman she had grown to admire more than anyone in heaven or on earth. A radiantly beautiful moment that I really didn't see coming, despite the fact that I expected something like it to happen... Does that make any sense what-so-ever?

I was also pleased with the revelation of who the narrator was. I expected all along that Anne was actually narrating the story. I would have liked for her to mention her much younger, life long friend, Ezekiel, who she continued to call "Dovey" well into adulthood, who was Maria and Joseph's first born child... (Though having Ezekiel be the narrator might have been even better, though the chances of her retaining her memories of her life as an angel are slim... I had guessed it was Ann long ago, though...)

I re-watched the first two episodes dubbed today. (I had watched the first one before, but I was so tired that I think I fell asleep in the middle and didn't really get a good feel for how I liked it.) I think I like it a bit more than the reviewer. I found the performances fine, and really liked Maria, Viv, Joseph, and Ann's performances. I look forward to hearing Ezekiel next week.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a hidden gem here. Got overshadowed by other shows in the season that were not even half as good as this show.......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 24