• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Apothecary Diaries

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

He brought it up within the context of talking about the courtesan, so I thought it was pretty clear he was referring to the courtesan, not to Maomao.

True, but his overall goal was Maomao, so it makes me think that he would only bring up a courtesan from the same place as Maomao is to directly relate the two. I don't feel like he would bring up the courtesan, and then everything that happened to her if it wasn't in service of his goals.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:30 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
One other thing that caught my attention: when Maomao narrates about the empire late in the episode, it actually shows its name on that flag! It’s a variant of the character [url=https://jisho.org/search/*%E8%8C%98*]茘[/url] (“Lì”); someone on another forum I frequent noted that there’s some oddities there, because seal script wouldn’t be used that way.

That is the Hakusyu sigillary script.
Hyūga Natsu, the author of the Apothecary Diaries novel series, has said that Lì is roughly modelled upon Táng. The Táng period was an era when the sigillary script was revalued.
(I interpreted the meaning of the '...because seal script wouldn't be used that way' thing as 'When hànzì were written on flags in ancient China, the script style of them was not the seal script' or something along those lines. Sorry if I have misunderstood the meaning of it.)
This web page has a photograph of the Red Cliffs Ancient Battlefield in which there are flags.
https://www.veltra.com/jp/asia/china/wuhan/a/160126
And, among those flags, there are a few flags on which the hànzì/kanji 周 for 周瑜 Zhōu Yú (a military general serving under the warlord Sūn Quán) was written in a sigillary script. You can find the hànzì/kanji 周 written in that sigillary script style in seal-script dictionaries such as Shinsen Tensho Jiten and Inten Kanju and in the famous ancient Chinese dictionary Shuōwén Jiězì. So even a historical park designated as a National Cultural Protection Unit and a National 5A-level Scenic Spot in China, which hànzì/kanji originated in, has flags on which a hànzì/kanji was written in the seal script. (The Battle of Red Cliffs took place during the End of the Dōnghàn dynasty, though.)
Of course, if a Sinologist scrutinises the 'What kind of script was used when hànzì were written on flags in Period X in ancient China?' matter, the result may be different.
But in cases of works such as an animated TV show which is based upon a so-called Narō novel and which is aimed at a mass audience, as a way to convey the feel of ancient China to the Japanese audience, to write a hànzì/kanji on flags in the sigillary script may be not so bad.
Since Japanese people see three major kanji script styles (the regular script, the semi-cursive script, and the cursive script) with higher frequency than the sigillary script in modern-day daily life and, whilst the clerical script is an old script style, still it more or less resembles the regular script in comparison to the seal script, the anime staff may have thought that the sigillary script would convey the feel of ancient China to the Japanese audience more effectively than other four major hànzì/kanji script styles.
If an average Japanese person sees the sigillary script in modern-day daily life, it would be things such as traditional stamps of which engraved kanji are in the sigillary script and the kanji on the cover of a Japanese passport.
I have read a research article written by Dr Kuroda Yōko on the Nara-period documents preserved in the Shōsōin (the treasure house of the Tōdai-ji temple). According to Dr Kuroda, kanji in official documents were written in the regular script, and kanji in less formal papers were written in the semi-cursive script, the cursive script, and the clerical script.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Two things:

1- What does the Xio-Mao thing means?

2- Its just me or Jinshi has been kinda... useless in the latest episodes?... he has been in the "Notice me Maomao senpai" mode for the last 3 episodes or so and is kinda getting in my nerves.

The plot itself knows this, so it upgraded Gaoshun to Jinshi's previous position and now he is the one making the calls because Jinshi is too busy trying to get into Maomao's field of view to do something useful.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:31 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
1- What does the Xio-Mao thing means?

You mean a few persons' calling Maomao Xiǎo-māo?
If so, in hànzì/kanji, Maomao is 猫猫, and Xiǎo-māo is 小猫.
In cases like that, (in the Chinese language,) the hànzì/kanji 小 functions as a prefix which is added to the (family) name of the addressee and which suggests that the speaker has a friendly feeling toward the addressee, who is usually younger than the speaker.
Since the basic meaning of hànzì/kanji 小 is 'small', 'Xiǎo-māo 小猫' can also mean 'kitty'. ('猫' means 'cat'.)

In the Taiwanese edition (pub. by the Sharp Point Press) of the K-ON! 4-koma manga, in scenes where Student Character A calls Student Character B B-chan in the original Japanese edition, the '-chan' part was translated as 小, and it was written as 小 + B(the given name). In those cases, there is not an age difference between Student Character A and Student Character B, but still the hànzì/kanji 小 functions as a prefix which suggests that the speaker has a friendly feeling toward the addressee.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:15 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

2- Its just me or Jinshi has been kinda... useless in the latest episodes?... he has been in the "Notice me Maomao senpai" mode for the last 3 episodes or so and is kinda getting in my nerves.

Jinshi's spent the last few episodes locked in a battle of wits with Lakan, a man who's now hinting he knows who Jinshi really is.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since lead has a low melting point, this should lead the savvy viewer to the same basic conclusion that Maomao reaches about the bowl, the light, and the keyhole,

What's most likely in the keyhole is the secret alloy made from the materials in the chest. Yes, lead has a low melting point - for a metal - but that melting point is still over 300C. Sunlight through a fishbowl could never do that. I saw elsewhere that the crystal-like metal is most likely bismuth, and that the secret is the ratio of bismuth to lead to tin to make a solder with a melting temperature under 100C.

TBH, I'm not sure metallurgical knowledge or situational objectivity were the keys to solving this, but rather Maomao's deductive reasoning skills and her sense of intuition.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We've mused that the courtesan he mentions was her mother, although we don't know whether or not that's true yet, but if that's the case, what does that suggest about Lakan's potential interest in Maomao herself? It could be sinister or simply curiosity, but whatever the case, keep an eye on Lakan.

One obvious way to devalue a courtesan is to get her pregnant. I think we know Maomao's father figure is not her biological father (if for no other reason than he was working in the rear/inner palace before she was born if he was present at Jinshi's birth as we now believe he was, and would therefore be incapable of fathering a child her age... depending on how we're counting ages there might be a very narrow window if he was a recent hire at the time, but it seems unlikely... has Maomao herself confirmed this?). So I guess that invites the possibility Lakan is her father.

Though while he threw out a "I considered forcing myself on her" when he was needling Jinshi, his character is more about scheming and less about direct violence, so it seems unlikely he took that route. Though I suppose another option for devaluing a courtesan is to for her to fall in love with you, and we've already been given an example of how the con might work if the courtesan herself is in on it. Maybe he can be smooth when he choses? He clearly enjoys annoying Jinshi, so we've only really got that side of him so far....

And that comment about sons being equal... was a pointed thing to say to Jinshi, no? Implying he knows something of Jinshi's secret identities. (We suspect he is, in fact, not the Emperor's brother, but he's possibly living a double life where he sorta is.)
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:34 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
Quote:
Since lead has a low melting point, this should lead the savvy viewer to the same basic conclusion that Maomao reaches about the bowl, the light, and the keyhole,

What's most likely in the keyhole is the secret alloy made from the materials in the chest. Yes, lead has a low melting point - for a metal - but that melting point is still over 300C. Sunlight through a fishbowl could never do that. I saw elsewhere that the crystal-like metal is most likely bismuth, and that the secret is the ratio of bismuth to lead to tin to make a solder with a melting temperature under 100C.

TBH, I'm not sure metallurgical knowledge or situational objectivity were the keys to solving this, but rather Maomao's deductive reasoning skills and her sense of intuition.

Yeah my reaction was I dont think the light focus would have reached a high enough temperature to melt lead and it was probably Tin inside the lock. I dont think it would have been lead-solder as thats brittle and not strong enough to be used for the shear forces experienced by a key. The recipe was probably for White Metal which would have made good material for a metal worker to fashion. (could have been Pewter but thats dull rather than shiny and wouldn't be so good for jewellery)

Unlikely to have been Bismuth (which is an element not an alloy) as the method for refining it wasnt created until the 20th century and its almost as rare as gold.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I knew where this was going sorta when I realized Detective Conan used a similar scenario in episode 1025 - "Ooka Momiji's Challenge." With more murder, though...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:49 pm Reply with quote
This was kind of a refreshing new kind of case for Maomao, no explicit poisoning (minus the lead poisoning they subtly hinted at) or overt violence or murder...just a father trying to impart a message to his sons in a very excessively convoluted manner.

Lakan really is stringing Jinshi (and indirectly) Maomao along. I think there was more to Maomao solving this case, and realizing the overall message regarding fathers and their children, than just helping the brothers come together as a family and business partners again.

Oooh! Do I see a date out on the town with Maomao and Jinshi!?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:43 am Reply with quote
Bismuth was the theory I saw too, which would make the alloy Rose's metal -- the proportions match the drawer sizes, too.

Thesarum wrote:
Though while he threw out a "I considered forcing myself on her" when he was needling Jinshi

If anyone's curious, the English release of the LN translates the "Oh, how I wanted to try to force myself on her one day" line as "spoiler[Ah, what I wouldn't have given to take her to bed]". (Being extra-conservative with that tag.) I've currently got the volume out from the library.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:57 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Bismuth was the theory I saw too, which would make the alloy Rose's metal -- the proportions match the drawer sizes, too.

The inventor worked in the first half of the 1700s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentin_Rose_the_Elder

Can't really tell what historical period appears in Apothecary Diaries. It could be the Ching dynasty, which would be contemporary with Rose's discovery. It doesn't look like the Ming or Tang dynasties which often appear as fantasy settings in other shows like Saiunkoku Monogatari or Juuni Kokuki.
Nojay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:49 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Bismuth was the theory I saw too, which would make the alloy Rose's Metal -- the proportions match the drawer sizes, too.

Woods Metal is another candidate. It includes cadmium which is noticeably toxic. It melts at a lower temperature than Rose's Metal.

Here's a YouTube link to someone impressioning a key and casting a replacement using Woods Metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qxm5tbR2YU
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:22 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Thesarum wrote:
Though while he threw out a "I considered forcing myself on her" when he was needling Jinshi

If anyone's curious, the English release of the LN translates the "Oh, how I wanted to try to force myself on her one day" line as "spoiler[Ah, what I wouldn't have given to take her to bed]". (Being extra-conservative with that tag.) I've currently got the volume out from the library.

The manga version uses the wording "And I thought I'd like to some day have my way with her" for that scene, so the anime is more in line with the manga here. But in my observation, this wouldn't be unusual, since the anime has heavily used the manga version as a guide to how to depict scenes. (And I expect that will continue through the end of the season at least, since the end of this episode takes the story into the beginning of manga vol. 6, and 10 volumes are currently out in English.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Nojay wrote:
Woods Metal is another candidate. It includes cadmium which is noticeably toxic. It melts at a lower temperature than Rose's Metal.

While the melting point of Wood's metal is probably more realistic (I'm doubtful sunlight through a fishbowl would be capable of 100C either), there are only three drawers and according to the link Shay Guy provided, Wood's metal would need four. I think Rose's metal is still the most likely candidate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 30