• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Bought Wasteful Days of High School Girls via E-Bay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:24 pm Reply with quote
From Sentai's recent sale:

Ao-chan Can't Study! Blu-Ray
Girls und Panzer das Finale 1 Blu-Ray
My Love Story!! Blu-Ray
Re-Kan! DVD
Seitokai Yakuindomo S1-2+Movie Blu-Ray
Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle Blu-Ray
Wizard Barristers DVD

My Love Story!!, Re-Kan!, and Wizard Barristers appear to be on the way out, as they're no longer streaming on HiDive. Re-Kan, disappointingly, only contains eps 1-8 out of 13 -- the packaging promises 13 episodes on 3 DVDs, but only 2 discs were included. I thought it might've been a misprint / last-minute authoring decision to do 13 on 2 discs instead (which is not unheard-of, although Sentai hasn't done it recently), but no, disc 2 contains eps 5-8. Even stranger, there isn't even a space for a 3rd disc in the DVD case, so it's not a matter of a random manufacturing error happening to omit that disc in the set I happened to receive. At least Re-Kan! and renowned troubled production Wizard Barristers were only $3 apiece.

I found Ao-chan Can't Study! to be better than some of Sentai's other envelope-pushing ecchi titles I've seen on HiDive, such as How Clumsy you are Miss Ueno and My Girlfriend is Shobitch, so it was worth the purchase this time around. Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle was a fun ecchi/harem/magic-school show from back in the era when we were allowed to have non-isekai fantasy anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Ah good old Wizard Barristers... yes, it did become quite the train wreck but I still remember it fondly. I believe the MC spent some time in Canada if I'm thinking of the right show.

In any case, I once again waded into the "previously enjoyed" market and picked up two fairly old and not super easy to find DVD releases: The six volumes of Hyper Police and an OVA: Gall Force - Eternal Story. Hyper Police cost me $100 CAD which is not shocking because some of the volumes are very OOP and Eternal Story was $15 CAD. I came across a listing for the six HP volumes on ebay which would have cost me about $150 CAD but not only did I save $50, the ebay discs did not have DVD cases which is a big no-go for a collector.

I'm picking up another reasonably OOP OVA on Sunday for $5 but I won't mention what it is until I've actually got it in my hot little hands. If anybody guesses what it is you'll win... my admiration!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:32 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
'm picking up another reasonably OOP OVA on Sunday for $5 but I won't mention what it is until I've actually got it in my hot little hands. If anybody guesses what it is you'll win... my admiration!

Obviously Weather Report Girl. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:13 am Reply with quote
Good guess, but no!

I already own Weather Report Girl. Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Rats, Well, The Legend of the Galactic Heroes probably goes for a couple of dollars more than $5, so, Elf Princess Rane?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad guess at all! But no. Although that is a title I don't own. I'll give you another hint: like Elf Princess Rane, the name of the lead character is in the title of the OVA.

And just to be even more helpful, here's a link to my OVA collection so you don't waste time guessing a title I already own:

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/collection.php?user=Blood-&categ=23

I no longer use that list to keep my OVA collection updated, but it still has quite a few.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:52 am Reply with quote
You really should get Elf Princess Rane. The show is bat shit crazy. Insanity presented as though it was the most reasonable thing in the world.

Hmm, you don't appear to have Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan. Other than that I'm out of ideas.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:15 am Reply with quote
Actually, I do have Bludgeoning Angel but the release I have has both the TV show and the OVA so I've got it listed in my non-OVA section. But don't worry, if you check back here this evening, all will be revealed!

Geez, almost forgot... I was in a second hand bookstore yesterday and did something I haven't done at a second hand book store in a long time: bought some anime. In this case, The World of the Mirage of Blaze. It seems to have some BL vibes. Anybody seen this title before? Is it any good? Cost me a whopping 18.99 CAD.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Your list seemed kinda odd to me at first. I noticed you had Bubblegum Crisis listed four times but had only a single listing for something called double packs with two titles. I realize now that this is a artifact of the way the shows were initially issued. Now you tell me that Bludgeoning Angel OVA is listed with the TV series. Is that list from here on ANN or some other site? That manner of listing would drive me up a wall. The main advantage of a list like that to me would be the ability to look the stuff up alphabetically. I would hate having to remember special things like double packs and would have listed the movie and OVA versions separately even if they were on the same disk.

It also took me a minute or so to realize that "hybrid' referred to Dub&Sub which is unimportant and not Blu Ray/DVD versions which is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:45 pm Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - that list is from ANN. As you may now, ANN's anime section gives you two options: you can either list a show by title or by release. At one time I used Anime Goods to keep track of my physical collection so of course I used the "release" listing instead of the title listing since I wanted to keep track of the specific release I had (there often being multiple releases of the same title, of course). It's all moot now because for years I've been keeping track of my physical collection via a boring old Word doc.

In any case, I'm back from the hinterland with my previously enjoyed OVA in hand. And I inadvertently gave y'all a bum clue. I thought the name in the OVA was the lead female character but it turns out the name is actually of a city: Tristia of the Deep-Blue Sea. I must have been thinking of things like Daphne in the Brilliant Blue and Nadia - Secret of Blue Water. Tristia cost me $5 CAD.

Since this guessing game is SO much fun, i'm gonna give you all another chance! Next Sunday I'm meeting up the seller of the Hyper Police and Gall Force - Eternal Story again since there is more of his collection I will be buying: 2 TV titles and 3 different OVA titles. These are all older shows and all are OOP.

TV title #1 - is a sports anime
TV title #2 - "spooky"

OVA title #1 - comes in two parts - "hellish"
OVA title #2 - man, school can be rough
OVA title #3 - the aliens have an unusual ally

Feel free to hit my "My Anime" button to see a lot of what I already own. All my lists are public.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:13 am Reply with quote
It didn't matter that your hint was a bit misleading, that is not a title I've ever heard of.

I know what you mean about multiple releases. I've had five releases of Bubblegum Crisis. I bought it on individual VHS tapes, on DVD I got the Collector's set, The Megaseries and the Remastered box set. Now I have it on Blu Ray.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:44 am Reply with quote
I thought I had never heard of Tristia either until I came across the seller but, it turns out the title was on an old Word doc I created years ago to track which OOP titles I wanted to buy.

Also, in all the excitement, I forgot to mention that on Saturday I bought a used copy of Junji Ito's Uzumaki omnibus ($19.99 CAD). Love Ito. My ambition is to eventually own a copy of all his titles.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't care for horror, and from the covers of Ito's books I think it would give me nightmares if I looked too closely. The only one of his books I have is the one about his family cats. He was trying to be normal there and it still got creepy a couple of times. I bought two copies of that because I gave the first to Charlie's Vet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Since this thread has temporarily become our private little chat place, Alan45, I'll mention this tidbit because it's relevant to this thread even though I'm not buying it... I came across a seller who is selling the 55 - count 'em 55 - sginle volumes of Inuyasha for $200 CAD. I didn't realize the show had been released in so many singles. That's a great price and I'd be tempted if I didn't already own the box sets (just missing the Final Season). Mind you, where the hell would I store 55 volumes of a single title??? Anyway, I thought you'd appreciate that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1376 of 1401