• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow I'm really losing it, I thought Tiger & Bunny 2 was still months away.

I had like almost ten years to see the sequel movie and I still haven't gotten around to it! At least it's on Netflix with everything else.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:41 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:
If you're not familiar with the Love Series, you're gonna be wondering why they keep focusing on this pink haired girl and her group of friends. If you're not familiar with the Idol Series, you're not gonna care about LipxLip at all.
I think it is very important to note that, of all possibilities, it's a series of Vocaloid MVs that got to become shojo anime's own MCU. That idea on its own may be enough to keep me watching.

That's actually how I got into the series lol, I knew nothing except that the movies were based on vocaloid songs and I said "that's ridiculous, how do you make movies out of songs!" and ended up falling in love with the characters instantly
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Trapped in an otome game seems to have this weird idea that because it's aimed at women and the female mc is able to get a harem that the whole world is somehow easier on them, so I guessed they never played any otome games because in a lot of them if you don't get a boyfriend you just die
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Re: Dance Dance Danseur, this has been the one I've been looking forward to the most - even though while I really like the manga I think it's one of those rare series that actually get better and better as they go on, and while the first arc (that the anime is probably going to cover) is fine and all. the story grows so much once it ditches some aspects... still, I'm just happy to see it animated for as long as we get. And on that note, I'm so happy that MAPPA didn't go with the animation approach they did for Yuuri on ice or the samurai gymnast show, where the athletic scenes just lacked any dynamics, any sense of speed, gravity, physical effort, etc. The dance scenes we had in this episode felt much more real than anything I've seen in a sports series in a long time. I hope they'll be able to keep it up for the rest of the series.

I also watched Ya Boy Kongming, and... oh boy. PA Works does it again, they're just completely unable to get out of their comfort zone. This is supposed to be a zany comedy, not a cute and slightly funny idol show! Also, I'm just so over the trademark "PA Works cute anime girl" character design template, especially seeing it all over the place here. Meh.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see another Shamiko convert. I haven't watched it yet but seeing the praise for the new season of Demon Girl Next Door has me excited.
thadec

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:26 pm Reply with quote
In Dance Dance Danseur the "manly men don't dance" thing is just a plot device. Just like in My Dress-Up Darling, Nobara's bashing Gojo for his "girly" habits turned out to be nothing more than a plot device to set up the "awkward guy gets pulled out of his shell by a beautiful popular uninhibited girl so that way he gets a great girlfriend without ever having to risk or experience rejection" fantasy. After all, at that age group boys who have female hobbies are as popular with girls as tomboys are with boys. Boys avoid female hobbies because they fear what other boys will say about them, not girls.

Lest you reply "this makes Dance Dance Danseur more realistic ... no. Because "you're the man of the house now" means "help your family by being more responsible." It has never meant "don't pursue a hobby that is not only socially acceptable but a great way to meet attractive girls." Seriously. In "Welcome To The Ballroom" the protagonist is convinced (more liked forced) to take up dancing by a tall macho swaggering motorcycle riding fellow who screams at him: "You get to dance with pretty girls! Real close too!" A much more accurate representation of how guys think. "Quit using ballet as a way to chase girls because you need to get a job to help your mom pay the bills?" Maybe. "Your dad died so you need to give up the one thing that makes you feel better in order to superficially pretend to be more manly"? Said no guy ever.

So they need an excuse to explain why a guy who likes to dance isn't dancing already so a pretty girl can come along and rescue him. That way he doesn't have to - gasp! - take a risk or show initiative. Even if they revisit the "but dancers aren't manly" nonsense again, it will just be for the purposes of contriving drama. It will - a prediction - be a device to have another outpouring of emotions that will push their relationship to the next level.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:51 pm Reply with quote
thadec wrote:
"Your dad died so you need to give up the one thing that makes you feel better in order to superficially pretend to be more manly"? Said no guy ever.

And neither did anyone in the show say that. Rather, Junpei's baggage comes from a confluence of a lot of different influences. You have the boys his age mocking him for liking ballet. You have his dad initially wanting him to take Jeet Kun Do because people already mistake Junpei for a girl, before eventually giving his blessing once he saw how much it meant to Junpei. Then you have his uncle telling him he's the "man of the house" - which Junpei interprets as him needing to take his dad's place in the family and (as we see later on) take up the kind of job his dad had. That doesn't necessarily have gendered expectations, until you consider that the uncle said this to a young child, telling him it's his responsibility as "a man" to look after his older sister and adult mother, despite obviously going through his own grief as the youngest family member.

And that's the insidious nature of this kind of toxic gender essentialism. It's no one person telling boys the can't like "girly" things, but a million different small suggestions that pile up into the idea that a guy doing traditionally feminine things is something aberrant. That there are right and wrong ways to be a man, and if you don't figure out the right ways then you're a failure, or worthy of being mocked.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Executioner ep2: Hilariously, isn't this the same twist that happened in Talentless Nana? The spoiler[second kill target] turns out to be someone who spoiler[can't die]. Not a judgment of the show, btw. Just that the similarities, which initially just seemed skin deep, continued a little.
Nev999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Alternative Ice wrote:
Quote:
so I am kind of genuinely curious if the touching bit was sticking closer to the original novel or something the anime added (perhaps to draw in more eyeballs).

The second one.

Not wanting to resurrect the executioner discourse, but I remembered I forgot to thank both you and Key for answering my question. Thank you!
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(That I then spent the rest of the episode being disturbed that baby-voiced, utterly helpless Kokorogi was labeled “the sexy one” is an entirely different issue.)

What are you talking about? It's said she likes anime and is bullied?
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:09 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I'm going to disagree. It seemed obvious from even the trailer that this kind of content will be part of the series, and rape scenes will be a deal breaker for some. Might as well be very up front with it so that those who will drop the series due to the rape scenes can save themselves time by doing so quickly. Then everyone else can just get on with it. I'd be really happy if more series that I ended up deciding weren't my thing several episodes in would have just thrown me an immediate deal breaker early in the first episode.

Personally I'd have to say that very beginning of the episode and half way through the (first) episode is essentially the same thing when it comes to being up front with your content.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Anime is just being faithful to the light novel. The prologue featured the Lady's and her attendent's POV, while chapter one introduced Arc's POV arrival.

Ah, see that makes sense. And as I said, if they had just stuck to Arc's POV without reusing "footage", like looking at the scene from over his shoulder, it wouldn't have felt as unnecessary. Seeing that it was in the source I understand why the scene repeated though, and obviously they reused footage to save on money, but still, could have been done better.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Not to mention talking which requires a tongue (for tasting, too), larynx and lungs. I guess he's got an invisible Stomach of Holding, so food and drink don't leak out.

Haha, true! I guess telepathy or magic *shrug* lol

TarsTarkas wrote:

Right now, not even Arc knows why that is. The first episode couldn't get into the story much. There is a reason why, but I don't want to spoil it. As for forgetting he was a skeleton, other can correct me, but I believe it was a special skin he bought on a whim. He wasn't playing as a skeleton.

Thanks, good to know!

Speaking of the Skeleton Knight, I really liked seeing him use a short range teleport to "fly". I wonder if the author ever played City of Heroes/Villains because it worked the exact same way! =D

Kicksville wrote:

I had like almost ten years to see the sequel movie and I still haven't gotten around to it! At least it's on Netflix with everything else.

Same all both counts. I wonder if I should just rewatch the whole thing at this point, but there's so much to watch right now in general O_o
decepticons2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or does Tiger & Bunny look way worse then the original. It feels horrible like cheap blocky moving anime. The animation is so good in the first one. Ten years later and this is what we get?
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

Can't believe we got a new season after 10 years. Gonna have to take time to rewatch the original since I remember basically nothing lol.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the Barreroom was great. My only problems with it are: Junpei's voice, which has an edge to it that makes me wince. I get that he's supposed to be genki and passionate, but file it down a little, ok?; and the eyes, which look painful, as if everyone is wearing contacts they can't keep in place. But I liked enough of everything else that I'm pretty sure I can live with these.

Love is Hard for Super-Sentai was not on my radar at all, but I loved this to pieces. All the characters are extremely likeable and the jokes are funny and the voices all work for me. The animation looks just fantastic to my eyes (which is no measure for anyone else to go by), the fight scenes were nicely choreographed and framed, and there's something about the shading and how they move that makes me feel like I'm watching PVC action figures in motion. They look so, I dunno, silky and I wanna touch them.

On top of that, I really like the character designs all around, whether in mufti or in uniform, and to my surprise, I really love Doronjo Desumi's outfit (except for her mask, but stupid as it is, it still works). It's sexy and flashy and she's looks great in it, and yet I don't feel like the camera is leering at her all the time, even when it's unabashedly checking out her bits, which is probably why it sits well with me. I wish Fudo's irises were a tad bigger so he doesn't look so much like a psycho, but I guess it's indicative of his meatheadedness, and he otherwise looks fabulous in his tights, so I'll let it slide. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of Pistachio Boy, who's got stern and sober locked up. This looks like it's really going to be a fun one, and I'm jazzed for more.
cchigu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:19 am Reply with quote
Read this person--Richard Eisenbeis's mini review of Kaguya-sama, and this is a perfect example why none of these reviews should be taken seriously at all.

The person has a clear bias against gag anime and even goes as far as to denounce the potential of character development and a mire structured storytelling.

Not possessing the ability to even look at the not so subtle hints that the show has been providing for its upcoming major event is pathetic.

Anyway, this season of Kaguya-sama will hard slap the people skeptical of romcoms and gag anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 21