• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Solicitations (Crunchyroll Solicitations: June 2022 & beyond)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RightStufTanukiMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:
I think we should just give up that they'll ever re-release Code Geass.

Don't say that ;-; You're making me sad...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Rage of Bahamut is a sure buy for me but not the edition that comes with a 320 art book that only increases the retail price by about 20 dollars- and that includes the 5 dollars for the chipboard box.

What kind of 320 page book is only 15 dollars? Not much of a question, actually...
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:
Sadly, there's not much Funi can do until they get the materials from Japan. I'm hoping we'll see an announcement of release for it and several other series they've announced sometime this year. Until then, all we can do is wait. Sad
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
What kind of 320 page book is only 15 dollars? Not much of a question, actually...
Yea, I'm wondering if it really is 320 pages. Maybe its a typo? Maybe its really 20 pages? Wouldn't be the first time something isn't listed right.

Percival King wrote:
NA companies make their fair share of screwups, but not everything is their fault. Sometimes its Japanese companies placing restrictions on when things get released, what format it can be released in, not sending materials promptly or sending wrong materials, etc.
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
RightStufTanukiMinion wrote:
Percival King wrote:

How many years has it been? How many years?

One-Eye wrote:
NA companies make their fair share of screwups, but not everything is their fault. Sometimes its Japanese companies placing restrictions on when things get released, what format it can be released in, not sending materials promptly or sending wrong materials, etc.

Interesting that Kaze faced no such problems. Four years ago, or to this day. Interesting.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:
Interesting that Kaze faced no such problems. Four years ago, or to this day. Interesting.

Kaze is not a NA company. They are not selling in the same region as Japan. Depending on their contract they may not have the same required holdbacks on releases that NA companies encounter. And it was 3 years ago not four.

Japanese companies can get pretty strict because of fear of reverse importation. At one point Kadokawa mandated that there would not be any BD releases in an upcoming year and sometimes companies could only release DVDs and no BDs until after a certain point. This is how we got stuff like Deadman Wonderland, Future Diary, Railgun, etc. only released on DVD at first and had to wait for BD much later.

Also depending on the licensor Japanese companies may require that they approve everything. They may request to approve the packaging, artwork, advertising and even dub casting choices and scripts. That can mean a lot of going back and forth communications. Licensing isn't always easy or clear cut. There's more but if you search the Answerman archives it will give you a clearer picture on licensing.

Again, not saying that NA haven't made mistakes (if we are talking Evangelion I'm quite willing to blame Funi), but sometimes its not their fault that something doesn't come out when you want it to.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
I hope we get a nice BD release for Code Geass, I'd happily re-buy it for a quality upgrade.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
since the type of release is heavily dependent on streaming, no LE very likely means season 2 wasn't as popular
Not to mention, it's the type of show popular with fans who tend to do more purchasing on the manga side of the aisle than the anime side.

One-Eye wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Yea, I'm wondering if it really is 320 pages. Maybe its a typo? Maybe its really 20 pages? Wouldn't be the first time something isn't listed right.
I would guess 32, given the proximity of 0 and p on the keyboard.

*320pages*

"oops, missing a space" (whether seen manually or with spellcheck)

-> *320 pages*
RightStufTanukiMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:
Percival King wrote:

How many years has it been? How many years?

Covnam wrote:
I hope we get a nice BD release for Code Geass, I'd happily re-buy it for a quality upgrade.

Maybe they're waiting for Akito! Very Happy
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote

Oh, now that'd be a nice collection (...having not seen Akito yet, though for completeness it'd still be nice).
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote

If they had known Akito's release.....schedule, it might've hit them as not the best idea.

But, one can only hope.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote

I have my doubts about that. I think the last part of Akito is scheduled for this April in Japan if there are no delays. I could see Funimation possibly releasing it in parts like they did with GITS:Arise. I think its more money for them to split things up, but who knows what they'll do.

I believe that Japan did a reprint of the Limited Edition BD boxed releases of Code Geass and those were released in 5/27/15 and 9/25/15. The BDs have probably been decent sellers for them, so its possible that some of the holdup might have been due to keeping clear of the Japanese re-releases. Maybe, that's just a guess on my part. Hopefully Funimation will go all out and release something similar to the FMA CE which wasn't too bad and hopefully we will get some news soon.
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
As long as everything is included. Audio and picture dramas included.

Actually, that was what really pissed me off about Bandai's R2 releases. They completely ignored those in favor of the crappy mangas.
RightStufTanukiMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

I have my doubts about that. I think the last part of Akito is scheduled for this April in Japan if there are no delays. I could see Funimation possibly releasing it in parts like they did with GITS:Arise. I think its more money for them to split things up, but who knows what they'll do.

I believe that Japan did a reprint of the Limited Edition BD boxed releases of Code Geass and those were released in 5/27/15 and 9/25/15. The BDs have probably been decent sellers for them, so its possible that some of the holdup might have been due to keeping clear of the Japanese re-releases. Maybe, that's just a guess on my part. Hopefully Funimation will go all out and release something similar to the FMA CE which wasn't too bad and hopefully we will get some news soon.

Yeah, I know... I just like to come up with dumb benchmarks Anime cry Makes the wait more tolerable.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Just got an email from Rightstuf: My Evangelion 3.33 BD just shipped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 47