• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Too old for anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zappa21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
In my opion. watch it as much as you like as long as you like. but if your a 97 year old guy. don't go and be sailor moon, got it?
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
When I'm a 97 year-old guy, I reserve the right to be into Sailor Moon!
It seems to me that when anime fans are trying to justify their own fandom, it's a common move to contrast themselves with other fans who are the wrong kind: "I watch anime (and post on anime message boards!) but I'm not like one of those fans who likes moe/has no sense of personal hygiene/...
I think if you're a fan, you're a fan. No need to be ashamed.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
It seems to me that when anime fans are trying to justify their own fandom, it's a common move to contrast themselves with other fans who are the wrong kind: "I watch anime (and post on anime message boards!) but I'm not like one of those fans who likes moe/has no sense of personal hygiene/...
I think if you're a fan, you're a fan. No need to be ashamed.

there most certainly is need to be ashamed if you have no sense of personal hygiene! Hygiene is very important, not only does it keep you and those around you healthy but it makes every social situation better. And don't skip a day just because its Sunday and your just gana sit around anyway, who knows what could happen. And for you ladies out there if you move in with your man remember that their noses work even when you are not out on a date!

Also I think some people grow out of anime, not because it is only suited for a certain age group but because after a certain point you have seen alot of what anime has to offer and its hard to find ones that live up to your expectations
Aeonflux--

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
what?!?! i know im going to get a lot of haters right now.....
Im going to open with this i love anime and i do feel it gives me some form of joy....but its an illusion...i have studying psychology for 2 years now and if there is one thing I've learnt everything emotional is your choice (subconscious or not) your mind will alternate between decisions and conflicting thoughts to suit an outcome your subconscious desires. Now this is not to say that the outcome it desires is always good eg. childhood....had no attention as a child......your subconscious will twist create your persception in an attention seeking format which could mean doing bad things to gain attention depending on whether your brain has been taught that negatives gain attention.....My point is that it is unhealthy to get some wrapped up in something that you start diluding yourself that it brings some kind of divine right into your lives....if you feel that your life is going well it you doing it not anime.

Everything is good in moderation
Ps. I am being hippocritical because i dont do things in moderation i have a certificate in business, a certificate in psychology and a year away for a degree in law and immigration law.............i know what your thinking......whats the point in working so hard if not to brag a little......
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Aeonflux-- wrote:
what?!?! i know im going to get a lot of haters right now.....
Im going to open with this i love anime and i do feel it gives me some form of joy....but its an illusion...i have studying psychology for 2 years now and if there is one thing I've learnt everything emotional is your choice (subconscious or not) your mind will alternate between decisions and conflicting thoughts to suit an outcome your subconscious desires. Now this is not to say that the outcome it desires is always good eg. childhood....had no attention as a child......your subconscious will twist create your persception in an attention seeking format which could mean doing bad things to gain attention depending on whether your brain has been taught that negatives gain attention.....My point is that it is unhealthy to get some wrapped up in something that you start diluding yourself that it brings some kind of divine right into your lives....if you feel that your life is going well it you doing it not anime.

Everything is good in moderation
Ps. I am being hippocritical because i don't do things in moderation i have a certificate in business, a certificate in psychology and a year away for a degree in law and immigration law.............i know what your thinking......whats the point in working so hard if not to brag a little......
I don't understand what you're saying. Maybe you could rephrase it more clearly? (I'm sure you can, with your education and all.)

By the way, poilk, I reserve the right to be a 97-year-old, smelly old geezer cosplaying Sailor Moon. Very Happy
Aeonflux--

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
[/quote]I don't understand what you're saying. Maybe you could rephrase it more clearly? (I'm sure you can, with your education and all.)

you tell me what you don't understand and i'll do my best to elaborate.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Aeonflux-- wrote:
My point is that it is unhealthy to get some wrapped up in something that you start diluding yourself that it brings some kind of divine right into your lives....if you feel that your life is going well it you doing it not anime.
This seems to be the crux, and I don't understand. I don't understand what you mean by "divine right" and I don't understand the part after the ellipsis at all. Confused
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

By the way, poilk, I reserve the right to be a 97-year-old, smelly old geezer cosplaying Sailor Moon. Very Happy

then i reserve the right to judge you and give you disproving glances while me and the other people on the bus chat uncomfortably about how creepy and smelly you are. While secretly we are just jealous that you are confidently living out your terribly terribly disturbing fantasy while we live each day in quiet desperation

ailblentyn wrote:
Aeonflux-- wrote:
My point is that it is unhealthy to get some wrapped up in something that you start diluding yourself that it brings some kind of divine right into your lives....if you feel that your life is going well it you doing it not anime.
This seems to be the crux, and I don't understand. I don't understand what you mean by "divine right" and I don't understand the part after the ellipsis at all. Confused

worshiping your favorite moe character is blasphemy, I think thats what he is trying to say
Aeonflux--

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Lol my mistake i meant to put divine intervention refering to the original post.... i dont quite understand where you see am ellipsis unless i have been poorly educated, i understand it as an individual or series of dots/lines etc that show an intentionally omitted word Confused obviously you have a different definition....please share

Btw does this website not have a chat feature?
Aeonflux--

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Aha i think i may have the answer...this an American forum and as such there may be a different definition....as the American language and literature commitee (if you have one) loved to change things (that really had no need to be changed) ever so slightly so that they could obtain some kind of independance Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Ah, no. We do not have a "language and litature committee". And yes the language has changed since we were a colony but not in order to gain independence. We had to fight a little war to accomplish that.

Most of the changes in language are due to isolated areas creating dialects and then being merged back into the general pool by modern communication. Also multiple waves of immigrants have inriched the language from most all cultures. All languages tend to change, the English spoken in England has likely changed since the 1700's also.

You just are not making a lot of sense. Capitals and punctuation other then dots might help.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
You just are not making a lot of sense. Capitals and punctuation other then dots might help.

so would esl classes
kitsune_otoko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Grammar nazis. >w<

Don't you just love them?

All the man (?) was saying was that

(1) it's fine as long as you keep it in moderation

and

(2) you are not keeping it in moderation if it is negatively affecting your life (e.g. You lose your job because of anime-addiction),
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:

Also I think some people grow out of anime, not because it is only suited for a certain age group but because after a certain point you have seen alot of what anime has to offer and its hard to find ones that live up to your expectations

I couldn't agree with you more about that. I've watched a real lot of anime and lately the newer stuff to me personally just seems bland and boring and not the least bit interesting.

When I was 15 I could easily stay up all night and watch Inuyasha and finish the whole series in a week. Yes I did that! Why? I have no idea and really don't know how I even liked the anime. My point is when we get older our tastes change and we don't always have time for things that we enjoy. I maybe get to watch 2 hours of anime a week if that.

Also, not a whole lot of innovation or creativity in the industry has been happening for some time now, so I have been finding older anime from when i was a kid i never knew existed. I seem to be enjoying a lot more anime from the 90s and 80s more then most of the crap that has been put out in the last 8 years or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poilk92

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
ailblentyn wrote:

Also, not a whole lot of innovation or creativity in the industry has been happening for some time now, so I have been finding older anime from when i was a kid i never knew existed. I seem to be enjoying a lot more anime from the 90s and 80s more then most of the crap that has been put out in the last 8 years or so.

first of all wierd quote cause that second part came from me not ailblentyn but w/e

I think there has been a recent shift in anime, maybe even as recent as gurren laggan, where the execs realized unique and interesting anime can be popular and make money. It has given me hope for the future of the genre. I work 40 hours a week and take 16 credit hours of classes so my dance card is full but I still somehow run through a season every 2 weeks (maybe its cause i have no life), so I am very happy to say I am seeing some really positive trends in new anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16