• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Sheesh, girls, wear some freakin' leggings!

Spoilsport
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
So, team spoiler[Wild Duck, 3 disciplinary committee members, was added to the group.]

My earlier guess was based on that the Stuco trio still have yet to tell other team members that spoiler[their school will be closed down should they not win the tournament.] So I thought that it would be another close call victory for Owarai's 5 teams against another school, Pravda which in addition to the previous close call with Saunders where they had to fight with inferior numbers, would force them to put more teams/tanks on the field and the forcing new members into Tankwondo because they must win situation will allow them to reveal the reason to everyone.

But in ep 08, spoiler[Sodoko's Wild Duck team joined Tankwondo of their own volition!?] I certainly didn't see any indication that they're interested in Tankwondo at all. Their decision to join comes out of no where for me.

Along with that, I thought that there's a 10 tanks limit per side? Why is it that Pravda has 15 tanks? Should we just take it that the rule open up for larger tank battles in semi-final & finals?

DuskyPredator wrote:
Nishizumi really should not have given into the peer pressure of the group, we know that she knew that spoiler[Pravda was quite skilled in false retreats being used as traps.] Perhaps she should have told her team mates that.

Well, Miho just learned to have fun with Tankwondo and not just "all for the sake of winning" like she had been when under the Nishizumi's Style; so it isn't that much of a stretch for her to think let's just do what everyone want and have fun while they're at it, and not be a spoilsport who kill off everyone's spirit & excitement simply for the sake of winning. Which in hindsight, spoiler[Miho might have told everyone about Pravda's tactics if she had known what's at stake.] The failure to communicate that earlier by the Stuco trio has come back to bit them real hard. We know that outside Miho & Yukari, no one else on the team has much or any experience with Tankwondo, so no one else could have raised that point about Pravda's tactics; not to mention, Yukari's comment while they were giving chase made me think that she didn't study Pravda's battles enough to have realized their tactics and that she's rather introvert as well...

Plus, Miho may not have enough experience leading newbie to realize that newbie really let winning get to their head. She may be too used to the more organized order of Black Forest where the commander wouldn't be ignored by the team just like that.

---------

As for the battle, it's gonna be one hell of a difficult fight for them:
spoiler[Their Stug has lost its track meaning that its combat effectiveness is practically zero.] Enemy's tanks have to drive straight into its line-of-fire for it to be able to do anything.
spoiler[Their Panzer IV's turret has been immobilized by a T-34 shell which immensely lowering its combat effectiveness.]
spoiler[Their M3 Lee's main 75 mm gun got blown off, leaving just the puny 37 mm.] And as per Wikipedia:
Quote:
Remarkably enough, one determined 37 mm gun crew reported firing 23 times against a single T-34 tank, only managing to jam the tank’s turret ring”.

spoiler[The remaining tanks that are still 100% combat effective are the B1 bis, Type 89(flag) & the Pz38 (t). Only the B1 bis has a capable gun and decent armor but its crew is very inexperienced that it's doubtful that they can make a difference.]

All the while, Pravda still has spoiler[10 x T-34, 1 x IS-2 & 1 x KV-2.]

I thought of burying the spoiler[immobilized] Stug in the church rubble after leading all other remaining tanks out by breaking through one of the walls; then with every tank other than the flag tank shielding it, making sacrifice while leading the chasing Pravda tanks all the way around back to the front of the church's rubble so that the Stug will get the only chance to ambush & destroy Pravda's flag tank from the rubble. But that is effectively the 'all for the sake of winning' that Miho isn't fond of, so...
Zork

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote
FD2Raptor wrote:

But in ep 08, spoiler[Sodoko's Wild Duck team joined Tankwondo of their own volition!?] I certainly didn't see any indication that they're interested in Tankwondo at all. Their decision to join comes out of no where for me.

I think they were force to join by the Student Council Prez.

As a side note, Crunchyroll cut the Russian folk song out of this episode. That's a shame because it was a highlight of the episode.
hpulley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
FD2Raptor wrote:

I think they were force to join by the Student Council Prez.

As a side note, Crunchyroll cut the Russian folk song out of this episode. That's a shame because it was a highlight of the episode.

you sure it was Crunchyroll, not the video they were given?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
That is kind of odd. It's the kind of thing that pushes soundtracks, so I don't know why a broadcaster would cut it out. The only thing I can imagine is that there's some weird copyright issue. We don't normally think of folk songs being copyrighted in America, but who knows how it works in Russia. And I'm sure America is more respectful of Russian copyrights than Japan is.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
It's a Stalin-era song, so it wouldn't have been copyrighted in the first place(any copyright would be state property and very few state claims to those are recognized internationally - the only example I can remember is when Bavaria shut down a Polish edition of Mein Kampf).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
There is no reason for them cutting it out that makes sense. If it's about music rights for the soundtrack or something, then why aren't the OP and ED also cut out. Whether or not CR cut it out: CR inferior, fansubs superior.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Being a Stalin-era song, could they perhaps be afraid of contriversey?
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There is no reason for them cutting it out that makes sense. If it's about music rights for the soundtrack or something, then why aren't the OP and ED also cut out. Whether or not CR cut it out: CR inferior, fansubs superior.

I've had a CR account since they aired Saki, and I'm going to be downloading this series from now on. I'm sorry, I expect better.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
where is CR hosting its servers the US? it very well could be the US had something to do with editing out the song. don't forget the anti soviet era or its resurgence with romni being stupid enough to call Russia the USA's #1 threat early in the election race and all the republicans who swallow that kind of thing whole.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Republicans are the ones swallowing paranoid theories about enemies.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Yeah, Republicans are the ones swallowing paranoid theories about enemies.

" WMD's!!!! WMD's!!!!!WMD's"
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Certainly more plausible than the suggestion that CR got cold feet because of a fear that Republicans are closely monitoring anime streams to wipe clean any reference to Stalinist Russia.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Certainly more plausible than the suggestion that CR got cold feet because of a fear that Republicans are closely monitoring anime streams to wipe clean any reference to Stalinist Russia.

depends who actually is feeding the source material to them in this case.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I both want to ask and am terrified of what you might say if I do... dilemmas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 30