• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:05 am Reply with quote
My vote goes to Haruhi as an operator of one of those kyaba-clubs, where she could be dressing up an endless supply of young girls in bunny outfits and all kinds of other clothes to cater to every fetish imaginable (and some that aren't).

As for Haruhi as a character and as a romantic interest, I'd have to agree with selenta--I like girls that have minds of their own and a personality that's far different from the norm. I also like her rampant imagination, even if it does dull her sensitivities to reality a bit Shocked After all, she softened up in the (chronologically) later episodes, so even if she's pushy and uncompromising at first, there's room for improvement.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to agree with those who say that Haruhi would probably be a good friend, but probably not a romantic interest. I personally really admire many of her traits, such as her assertiveness, energeticness, and force of character, but I think I'd prefer a bit more stability in a life partner.

Which character does attract me the most? Mikuru's complete lack of assertiveness kinda ticks me off. Yuki's charming in her quiet sort of way, but I can't really stand such quietness. I like noise. For the answer to this question, I'd have to go with Miss LOL FANG-tan, Tsuruya. She's assertive, cheerful, fun, and has that absolutely awesome and contagious laughter. She's basically a slightly less crazy version of Haruhi.

The world could use more LOL FANG-tan.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Wow a lot of Yuki fans, pretty much everybody who has responded to my question. Yeah I agree she's awesome, it's amazing though how such a bookish (megane) girl can be seen as so sexy and appealing.

I'd say Yuki is probably the most popular of the three when it comes to that... Personally though (besides the glasses part, which I dislike anyway), I don't find her attractive. I actually don't find Mikuru either (although out of the three she'd probably be my choice)... For me, it was Ryoko all the way... Too bad she didn't get much screen time compared to the others. Sad
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
For me, it was Ryoko all the way...

Because of the name similarity? Wink
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Past wrote:
Wow a lot of Yuki fans, pretty much everybody who has responded to my question. Yeah I agree she's awesome, it's amazing though how such a bookish (megane) girl can be seen as so sexy and appealing.

I'd say Yuki is probably the most popular of the three when it comes to that... Personally though (besides the glasses part, which I dislike anyway), I don't find her attractive. I actually don't find Mikuru either (although out of the three she'd probably be my choice)... For me, it was Ryoko all the way... Too bad she didn't get much screen time compared to the others. Sad

Huh. Ryoko. Its kind of hard to get screen time when your-well, dead is probably not quite it-disconnected. Whenever I see a poll for favorite character, Nagato takes the top, the Haruhi, then Kyon. Poor Mikuru and Itsuki. Nobody loves them except Kyon(although KyonXItsuki is kind of creepy, especially since it always seems to be Itsuki hitting on Kyon).
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Mirrinus wrote:

I love LOL FANG!!! :F
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Mirrinus wrote:

I love LOL FANG!!! :F

My bad, I thought Fang-tan was assumed Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Reading is very sexy in my humble opinion. I rate intelligence very highly on my list of attractive qualities. Being able to hold a decent conversation with someone is very important and lack of intelligence makes that difficult.

A wild airhead might be fun for a little while, but a quiet bookish sweetheart is the one you spend a lifetime with. At least, that's how I feel.
Time and Space

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Past wrote:
Reading is very sexy in my humble opinion. I rate intelligence very highly on my list of attractive qualities. Being able to hold a decent conversation with someone is very important and lack of intelligence makes that difficult.

A wild airhead might be fun for a little while, but a quiet bookish sweetheart is the one you spend a lifetime with. At least, that's how I feel.

I half agree. A "quiet bookish sweetheart" is far more appealing than the loud, brash, attention seeking and mostly annoying Haruhi. In the case of Yuki though, I doubt you'd be able to hold a decent conversation with her. Unless your life is in danger and she's trying to explain the circumstances and solution, she'd just give you one word answers. However, what makes Yuki appealing is the desire to pull down those antisocial barriers, to work towards gaining her affection and confidence...also, I think I have a unique fetish for females who wear glasses, she should never have stopped wearing them Anime catgrin + sweatdrop .
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Time and Space wrote:
...also, I think I have a unique fetish for females who wear glasses, she should never have stopped wearing them Anime catgrin + sweatdrop .

LOL I also have a fetish with women who wear glasses, at times when they look like they're working hard on a piece of paper. jUsT sOoO kUtE~!
Though personal I think she kinda looks better without them, or she should get more sqaurishones just like mine :3
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
For me, it was Ryoko all the way...

Because of the name similarity? Wink

Acually, that's not the reason at all. I've known other characters named Ryoko (FLCL), and haven't been attracted to them based on the name.

Nom_Anor wrote:
Huh. Ryoko. Its kind of hard to get screen time when your-well, dead is probably not quite it-disconnected.

I suppose. But they still didn't show her enough when they could have.

LuckySleven wrote:
Time and Space wrote:
...also, I think I have a unique fetish for females who wear glasses, she should never have stopped wearing them Anime catgrin + sweatdrop .

LOL I also have a fetish with women who wear glasses, at times when they look like they're working hard on a piece of paper. jUsT sOoO kUtE~!

Meganekko (glasses girl) fetishes are not uncommon. In fact, there are anime that specifically cater to such fetishes (G-On Riders for example). I suppose I have an anti-glasses-fetish though, since glasses are a huge turn off to me.
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:09 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Meganekko (glasses girl) fetishes are not uncommon. In fact, there are anime that specifically cater to such fetishes (G-On Riders for example). I suppose I have an anti-glasses-fetish though, since glasses are a huge turn off to me.

maybe it depends on an anime character, actually I, myself also you said "anti-glasses-fetish" well said. Especially in Maburaho seeing Rin dressing and using her school uniform and her red glasses doesn't fit at all.
Maybe some are cute but I prefer Big Eyes should be bold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
maichips

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I know this is slightly off-topic from the current conversation, but it relates in that it's about Haruhi. I didn't see this mentioned in the first post, so I'd like to know: What does everyone think of the special edition DVD packaging? Is it overdone or perfect? Too expensive or just what you're looking for?
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm going to hold off on reviewing the content of the LE until it's in my hands and I've had a while to play with it all. It's hard to really judge it when it's still just a figment of my imagination.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
From what I've seen in pictures, the LE box looks absolutely beautiful. It takes up more space than 4 DVDs should, but it should be the same size as the My HiME and Otome boxes, so if you have either of those, you may be able to stack them to take up less space (at least horizontally). My My-HiME box is already on the top shelf, so I'll just stick the Haruhi box on top of (or under) it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 111 of 213