• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipp12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:15 pm Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
THREE MOVIE FINALE HERE WE COME!

From what I've heard those three movies won't be adapting all of the remaining chapters since after the Infinity Castle there's another (actually final) arc. And based on how a 13 chapter long Mugen Train Arc was adapted into a single movie it's very likely that those 3 movies will be adapting only a 44 chapter long Infinity Castle Arc so we're in for a long wait until the series is actually finished.

Last edited by Chipp12 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else kinda a bit bothered that Ubuyashiki actually planned this mass-suicide, killing even his own wife & children? Like if u wanted to die with a bang then go ahead but did u have to bring even your own kin into this? They could've live to carry on his legacy & spread stories about how great he was or some shit but no... lets just murder my whole family & myself. If the Hashiras found out he pulled that shit, I wonder if they would think differently of him...
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Didn't we get a shot of kids disappearing from the square before the explosion? Not totally sure how they would get away fast enough to be safe (maybe the Stone Hashira?), but I thought that's what was implied by the cut to them no longer being where they had been playing.

But, even so, yeah I thought it was weird his wife went out with him, orphaning their kids needlessly.

Also, for me, the most surprising reveal of this episode was that his wife and kids are, in fact, his wife and kids, and that they're human. They've been so eerily quiet and weird-eyed throughout the series that I honestly just assumed they were some form of semi-benevolent demons with a bone to pick with the big bad.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:29 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Also, for me, the most surprising reveal of this episode was that his wife and kids are, in fact, his wife and kids, and that they're human. They've been so eerily quiet and weird-eyed throughout the series that I honestly just assumed they were some form of semi-benevolent demons with a bone to pick with the big bad.

TBH, when the creepy bouncy-ball girls came in, I got my hopes up into thinking that Freddy Kreuger was going to pop up and kill Muzan with some manner of hilariously character-specific dream shenanigans.
ktarf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I obviously agree with the criticisms of this season's pacing, but it sure was unexpected to see Avatar mentioned as a positive example in that regard. I'd say this season and the second Avatar film are about as bloated and overlong.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of his kids, weren't there more than two of them? Maybe my memory is faulty, but I thought we had seen more than two creepy kids back in season 1. What about the others? His nieces? Cousins? Cloning jutsu?
Chipp12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:44 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
Speaking of his kids, weren't there more than two of them? Maybe my memory is faulty, but I thought we had seen more than two creepy kids back in season 1. What about the others? His nieces? Cousins? Cloning jutsu?

You're right. He had 5 children so not all of them were sacrificed during that explosion.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
You're right. He had 5 children so not all of them were sacrificed during that explosion.

So did those two draw the short straws? What rotten luck Laughing
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:

That makes it even weirder. Was the murder-suicide mission voluntary, or was he picking favorites? Shocked

Last edited by MyMasterMatthew on Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:57 pm Reply with quote
ktarf wrote:
I obviously agree with the criticisms of this season's pacing, but it sure was unexpected to see Avatar mentioned as a positive example in that regard. I'd say this season and the second Avatar film are about as bloated and overlong.

James Cameron is the king of producing obscenely expensive spectacle rooted in very simplistic stories founded on familiar tropes and archetypes. Demon Slayer wishes it had his juice.

Also, if this Hashira Training Arc was smart enough to give Tanjiro a giant, telepathic whale who murders evil corporate poachers as a best friend instead of friggin' Zenitsu, maybe I'd be singing a different tune.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, this season sure SUCKED! But that last half of that Finale was a banger! I never realized that it would be the last episode though, so therefore this season sucked because the good stuff is being saved for some movies.

I did see a movie coming, I didn't see three of them, and what people are saying, a potential fourth. I just thought the absolute FINAL Arc chapters would be saved for a movie.

But, really??? What are the odds that those 3 movies will release as a season anyway??? Should've just delayed this season to include those for a 24 episode run...

Are we getting 3 movies of our boys running around that looping empty castle??? I mean, it's conceptually cool, but 3 movies with that backdrop are going to be dull, unless there's way more variety to that castle or arc than we are currently seeing. Otherwise this'd be like 3 Chainsaw-Man movies taking place in that looping Infinity Devil hotel room floor, or 3 movies of Go! Go! Loser Rangers taking place only in that one parking lot! So I'm hoping that's not the case. And, no, character flashbacks in other locations won't count as variety.

Anyway, I'm still committed to seeing Demon Slayer through, especially if ufotable delivers the action. But, yeah, this season was a waste of time overall, for Hashira backstories that could've been condensed into it's own movie-length OVA. If they were going to do this, the training Arc might as well have been a movie, but it was so boring in comparison to the rest of Demon Slayer so far, that it would've sucked even harder next to expectations, so I guess they knew this, and settled for a season, but then why not salvage that by including at least the first of the trilogy's worth of episodes to cap off this season, and gone for a trilogy that actually finished this with that Sunrise arc people are mentioning as the 3rd and final film?

Sekaro wrote:
Anyone else kinda a bit bothered that Ubuyashiki actually planned this mass-suicide, killing even his own wife & children? Like if u wanted to die with a bang then go ahead but did u have to bring even your own kin into this? They could've live to carry on his legacy & spread stories about how great he was or some shit but no... lets just murder my whole family & myself. If the Hashiras found out he pulled that shit, I wonder if they would think differently of him...

Probably because Muzan would've made it his mission to track them down and painfully kill them, so going out with him quickly together in the explosion was better. There's after all no guarantee that the Demon Slayer Corps would prevail right after the explosion. Tee dude could see into the future, right? He probably factored that in as the best outcome for his family.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Count me among those who were tremendously put off by Kagaya blowing up his wife and children along with himself for no good reason. That completely undercuts his sappy speeches about how the Hashira are like his children and he doesn't want them to die. Dude, your actual biological children were right there!

I'm usually not as down on this show as James is, but this disappointing season exhausted my patience in a way I haven't felt since Haruhi Suzumiya's Endless Eight arc. Aniplex is giving Kadokawa a run for its money when it comes to mishandling beloved stories and treating them like properties that are supposed to be milked to death.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
KayWhy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:24 pm Reply with quote
i think muzan and ubuyashiki have had enough of a consistent presence throughout the series to make the meeting feel earned. i feel muzan actually benefits from remaining sorta mysterious before the final act, all we know is that he's insanely powerful and even all these high ranking demons are scared shitless of him. and we've seen how ubuyashiki has helped or saved every single one of the hashira in some way through many, many flashbacks. the conversation itself was also pretty interesting, with enough visual spice to keep me from getting bored.

i actually think this arc couldve benefited from extra content, but they really wasted it all on unsubstantial padding rather than expanding on things like tamayo and shinobu, giving nezuko a second more screentime, or the mysterious letter zenitsu gets that flips his personality in an instant. i still enjoyed what we got because i like the characters, but i dont think we needed a muichirou episode after spending an entire arc with him.

also, i will gladly accept comparisons to fury road as ideal popcorn entertainment but not avatar 2. at least demon slayer didn't randomly jump to 60fps for all its action scenes.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:53 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of the daughters: spoiler[Kagaya had 5 children in total, quintuplets, 4 daughters and one son(The one with black hair). The two at the mansion were his two eldest daughters. It is implied, to my knowledge, that they willingly stayed by their fathers side despite knowing what would happen, as did their mother. They did in fact die despite the fact that they disappeared just prior to the explosion. The son and youngest two daughters were not present at the mansion.]
TsukinoSpoon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This finale has left me exhausted. I think I'm burnt out and am officially checking out of Demon Slayer.

Why this show wasn't just three, 26-episode seasons, will remain a mystery.
Edit: the mystery in question with a simple answer - money.

What a way to treat a series.

Last edited by TsukinoSpoon on Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14