• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
@ChibiKangaroo
I think you might've missed something, the fact that spoiler[he's an ordinary waterbender and an extraordinary blood bender (but that still falls under the category of water bending) and the fact that his parents were not killed by fire benders (which remember he claimed was part of his divine receiving of "spirit bending") all point to him not being a spirit bender. Spirit bending is the sole realm of the Avatar, which is why both Tenzin and Korra were surprised to see bending taken away. Amon was taking away bending using blood bending, and not spirit bending as Aang did. Amon de-bended from behind, Aang did so from the front, so it wasn't quite the same. Some of the theories I have read was that Amon was blocking the light chakra, located on the forehead (recall the crazy onion and banana juice guy from the season 2 finale going over the chakras, and Aang's chakra located at the base of the spine being blocked, which shows that blocking certain chakras can have an effect on bending). Blocking the light chakra using blood bending seems the most likely to me. Still, if any type of "normal" bending would be likely to be able to remove bending, I'd imagine messing with blood and bodily fuilds to be the one to do it]

That is a good theory but they certainly didn't confirm anything. First of all, there were many others who could already stop bending i.e. the "chi blockers," but that was "temporary." What Aman was doing was "permanent." I don't see what was so different about his blood bending vs. the chi blockers techniques which would cause his blood bending to make it "permanent." (Also, the fact that he was touching their head rather than just causing their bodies parts to dance around with blood bending when he took their bending away made it seem different than chi blocking.) Also, remember during the show they weren't saying he was "blocking" bending. They kept saying he was "taking people's bending away." That is the same thing Aang said in reference to what he did to Sozen at the end of the first show. The third thing is that spoiler[Korra clearly seemed to be using "spirit bending" to "give people their bending back." It seems more likely that she was countering the effect of a similar power, rather than using spirit bending to counter blood bending.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Okay, truth is that we don't quite find out exactly how, but do you remember how there used to be no difference between the bending, all benign used to just be energy, it was only later that it split off into the different groups. spoiler[The blood bending technique, without the need of direct help from the moon spirit] may actually have made him already close to being an energy bender as it reaches back into the original bending. And had quite a few years to actually practice his technique into developing it into the form, something only he had the ability to do.

Whether he developed it himself, or received it from some outside help is not revealed, and sometimes you might not find out how, concepts might be difficult, or they want a reveal for S2.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
So I just finished watching this and I'm kinda blown away. I admit shamefacedly that for years I avoided Avatar: The Last Airbender, despite hearing good things about it because I assumed it was a Westernized attempt at anime that I wouldn't dig. If the Legend of Korra is any indication, I am very, very wrong about not digging it. I definitely intend to pick up all three Avatar Books and all of Legend when it comes out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, Avatar is more kid oriented, but takes its time with character development, to good effect. If you liked Korra, you should definitely like Avatar. Also, it's one of those shows that's just chock full of things you'll notice on a second viewing that you missed the first time around.
Yupa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently at episode 8 and I think it's very good, but I don't think it's as good as The Last Airbender (the series). Though I do like Korra more than Aang. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Good news for us Korra fans ... from Crunchyroll:

Quote:
Legend of Korra was already set set to return in 2013 with Season 1, Book 2, but averaging 3.8 million viewers for Season 1, Book 1 has enticed Nickelodeon to sign on for a whole bunch more Avatar.

Nick has now officially contracted out another 26 episodes beyond that second half of book 1.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Huzzah!!! This is most excellent news. My only complaint about Legend of Korra was that it felt rushed, so having 26 more eps on the way instead of 13 is great to hear. Not to mention anything more they're willing to do in the Avatar franchise makes me very happy Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
It's even better than that ... those 26 eppies are IN ADDITION to the 12 or so eppies of Season 1, Book 2. So we are looking at a guaranteed 38 or so episodes all told.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Still a little concerned about the second half of season 1 since that was mostly done before this was announced. I really hope they fix the pacing and romance problems from the first half of the season.

What I really would love would be to jump back 20-30 years and watch a younger Tenzin, Lin, Pema, and an older Aang Gang. Ah well.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Great! Now Bolin can have more lines, Pabu can do more circus tricks, and we can find out more about Bumi! Among other things of course. This is one of those shows where every character has something that makes them interesting and fun to watch, so I'm happy as long as we get to spend time with and learn more about any of the characters.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Sourced at Entertainment Weekly: Nickelodeon orders second season of 'The Legend of Korra' -- EXCLUSIVE

Quote:
Jul 11
02:50 PM ET

Nickelodeon orders second season of 'The Legend of Korra' -- EXCLUSIVE

by Dan Snierson

Tags: Animation, Nickelodeon, The Legend of Korra
Comments: 64
Add comment

Image Credit: Nickelodeon

It’s official: The Legend continues! Nickelodeon has picked up a second season of the animated adventure series The Legend of Korra, EW has learned. After averaging 3.8 million viewers for Season 1, Book 1, which concluded June 23, the Avatar: The Last Airbender sequel received an order for 26 more episodes (which presumably will be divided into two parts called Books 3 and 4.)

The show is already set to return in 2013 with the premiere of Season 1, Book 2 (which consists of 14 episodes, finishing off the original 26-episode order), as 17-year-old chosen one Korra (voiced by Janet Varney) has now become a fully realized Avatar. The cast also includes Kiernan Shipka (Mad Men), David Faustino (Married… with Children), and P.J. Byrne (Horrible Bosses).

For whatever reason, tl;dr:
-In addition to the rest of the twenty-six episodes originally produced which are set to air in 2013, there has been ANOTHER set of twenty-six episodes ordered to production!
-This order puts the series on par with its predecessor of sixty-one episodes, with the pre-production total number becoming fifty-two!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
That's boss. I have a lot of qualms about The Legend of Korra, especially its finale, that I've been thinking about writing out, but it has a lot going for it, enough that I want to see what the creators can do with new opportunities and what they've learned. (More Linn Beifon, please) This is good news and I hope that it encourages some other network to take a chance on replicating The Legend of Korra's success.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
So happy to hear this. I really hope they are able to expand more on the characters and locations. Just mainly let things breathe, that was my main complaint for the first season. I expect maybe Book 3 and up will have it more since Book 2 is already in motion for the same structure as Book 1 from what I heard.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[That was my complaint as well. The romance sequence at the very tail end of the last episode especially felt rushed to me. Though I knew that Bolin and Korra were probably going to have some sort of moment like that, and the writers even stated that Korra was going to feature what they called cheesy teen romance, it shouldn't have felt so forced from my point of view.]

I'm not sure if I've said this yet, but I'd like to see even further developments along the Avatar timeline in the future. I envision a science fiction future series where each of the four nations have mecha units, considering the fact that they've already done that with some of the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom military hardware. Anyone else up for Mobile Suit Avatar?

By the way, I do apologize if I am repeating myself ever. It's not intentional.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12