• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Yesterday on my travels I managed to get through volumes 17-20 of Vagabond and we are still following Kojirō's story; not that this is a bad thing but I want to get back to spoiler[Otsu and Jotarō's hunt for Musashi.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm now up to v10 of Berserk! More should be coming in from Right Stuf soon enough. I have no shelf space for the poor bugger. Anyway, it reminds me a bit of Game of Thrones but with more battles. But there's political talk and scheming and stuff, and an epic fantasy world, I like that sort of thing! Definitely looking forward to more of it coming in in the next few weeks! I'm still curious how they'll catch back up to the beginning of the series. I thought the first three vols were so-so, it wasn't until v3 when it really started Guts flashback that I became engrossed. At least once the next batch comes in, I'll have up to v26 to tackle at.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah a lot of folk cant really get into the black swordsman stuff until they learn the backstory from the golden age. Id recommend re-reading the initial vols after you get caught up to the time period they are set in because once you've finished the golden age you can totally see where guts attitude towards stuff came from.
madmadmad10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
i just order Vagabond vol 1-6 yersterday-still waiting for arrival- and other title i read right now is Shingeki no Kyojin
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
madmadmad10 wrote:
i just order Vagabond vol 1-6 yersterday

You're in for a treat!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
I've been stuck on vol.34 of Kekkaishi for the past week! Things just keep getting in the way. Finished reading the latest volume of Natsume Yuujinchou which just came out on Saturday. Great read, as always. It's kind of sad that it'll become bi-monthly. The next volume is slated for Fall 2014... So far away!!

After I finish reading vol.34 and 35 of Kekkaishi I'll finally be able to start reading the latest volume of Ao no Exorcist.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Just finished No.6 volume 4 and it was another constant page flicker. Rat and Shion's spoiler[relationship took another step forward] I couldn't help but aww at the spoiler["Good Night kiss"]. Only 4 more volumes to go. Sad
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Today I read volumes 18-21 of Fullmetal Alchemist. My gosh I love this series. I stopped reading at about volume 15 and decided to wait until I had all the volumes, then read it again from the beginning. I've yet to find anything I don't like about it.

I've also read Blue Morning 3. I bought it initially because I'm a sucker for anything set in the Taisho era. Although it was a bit spoiler[rapey] in the beginning, the political story has really got me sucked in.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Today I read volumes 18-21 of Fullmetal Alchemist. My gosh I love this series. I stopped reading at about volume 15 and decided to wait until I had all the volumes, then read it again from the beginning. I've yet to find anything I don't like about it.

I've also read Blue Morning 3. I bought it initially because I'm a sucker for anything set in the Taisho era. Although it was a bit spoiler[rapey] in the beginning, the political story has really got me sucked in.

FMA is just awesome. It's very hard to find any faults with the original manga.

I didn't realize Yuuutsu na Asa was licensed! I'm eagerly awaiting the next volume to come out here in Japan. I think it comes out this month or next month?

In other news, I've finally finished vol.34 of Kekkaishi and am now on the last volume. I've also found out that my office has finally gotten in the latest volumes of Chihayafuru and it looks like we've now got Daiya no Ace as well! I'm going to be busy. =3333
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Have just bought the first volume of Loveless. Going to read t soon. I've already skimmed through the first pages, I'm hype.

I'm also reading through Akame Ga Kill!; just finished the first chapter. Few pieces of fiction in general have gripped me that much THAT quickly, holy shit. Totally wish someone would license this.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Remember when Viz published those awesome 80s shojo one-shots? Y'know, the ones you can never find for anything less than half a kidney (ie, Four Shojo Stories, A A', and the actually possible to find Love Song)? Well, anyway, for some reason, the Manhwa Novella collection was put on my radar (I don't remember how, probably due to wasting time on TVTropes) and, in order to get free shipping, Devil's Trill made it into my most recent Right Stuf shopping cart. And I quite enjoyed it, it actually reminded me a lot of those old 80s shojo that you can't friggin get, in both tone and look. I think NetComics only ever published four volumes, but I definitely intend to get the rest in hopes they are all as good as this. And they're mostly pretty easy to get (v4 seems to run a bit higher, but Right Stuf has it). The vols are all standalone and by different authors, I guess they just decided to shove them all under the "Manhwa Novella" label, which basically means short stories and one-shots. So yeah, fans of 80s shojo, I'd definitely recommend this (even if it's manhwa and was made in late 90s)
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I can never tell where I should mention visual novels, here or in the anime section. But yeah, took me a while, because I was waiting to savor it, but I did finally beat Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies! And it was AWESOME! That last case (which, in a first, covers chapters 4 and 5) was pretty damn epic, but I really liked the whole thing overall. It also had anime cutscenes, new for the series, those were really well done too (I think Bones did them if I read the credits correctly).
So this game introduces Athena Cykes as the new attorney (but you'll play as all three during the course of the game), and I liked her quite a lot too. Of course, I never disliked Apollo as many seemed to in PW4 (mostly because he was clearly a replacement goldfish), but I think even people who were maybe so-so on him before might like him more now.
Athena's new thing is this emotion matrix thing where, during testimony, you notice emotional reactions and point out what's strange. It can be pretty damn hard, luckily, there's no penalty for guessing wrong, so even if it takes a while, it'll sort out eventually. While I enjoyed it, I did find it frustrating, so I think I enjoyed Phoenix's Psyche-Locke ability more (which does make a return!) Apollo's bracelet thing also makes a return (and is comparatively quite dull, probably why it's only used 2 or 3 times in the whole game), which makes me question why psychic abilities are so often allowed in the court room. Oh and there's this new thinking things through thing that happens in cases, I liked that too, that was fun. But Psyche-Locks still win for attorney powers, since his magatama merely lets him see the locks, but it takes evidence to break them, so they make the most sense from a supernatural powers sense and I just think they're the most fun.
I also don't recall any annoying as hell witnesses (like that damn clown from game 2). Though I will admit, except for the last case, I found the bad guys easy to guess (well half the time the anime cutscenes outright told you, so I don't think I'm spoiling anything there, the games have kind of always done that). Speaking of anime scenes, beating the game lets you watch them all whenever, which is nice. Though you have to admit, there still wasn't a client as awesome as Matt from game 2 either (yeah, I'm starting to think game 2 is still my favorite, I think if I were to order them, I'd say 2>5>4=1>3)
Oh and we got a new prosecutor. Nevermind how a convict was allowed to be a prosecutor in the first place (you need some suspension of belief here), I did enjoy him. By the end, not at first, but by the end. I was never a big fan of Godot anyway (part of why I'm not big on game 3), but I appreciate his reaction when the witnesses prove to be stupid and stuff. He also has this badass hawk buddy. Klavier is still clearly the prosecutor I'd want to go on a hot date and bring to my parents (yeah, it's not Edgeworth, he can be a bit stick in the mud sometimes and Klavier is more fun), but Blackquill was interesting too. I'd rank my prosecutors Klavier>Edgeworth>Blackquill>Fransiska=Godot
But yeah, it was a bit pricey of a game at $30, but I really enjoyed myself! I am quite annoyed that they released a bonus ep so soon afterwards and are charging $6 for it, partly because obviously I'm going to need to buy this too, but seriously? The main game wasn't pricey enough? I wouldn't mind that price for a physical release at all, but it was digital only, dammit! I did get the costume pack, but only because they offered it free if you bought the game in the first two weeks. It's not really worth buying imo.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:34 am Reply with quote
I've been having so many bouts of not enough to read and then too much. Currently stuck in the "too much to read, too little time" thing. Work got in a bunch of the latest volumes of many series I was reading (and left hanging), coupled with a bunch of series I buy coming out with new volumes all at the same time and yeah... Sometimes I wish my commute were longer.

Natsume Yuujinchou vol.17 - Aoi's story was very nice. Can't get enough of this series. It's too bad that Midorikawa sensei will only be publishing it once every two months from now on. =(

Adeyaka na Shuujou - A BL novel rather than a manga, but this had me occupied for a few days. Love Omi and Jiei. ;___; This is the last novel in this part of the story. I hope the story itself is not over though... Can't wait til they make a drama CD out of this. I'm going to cry my eyes out.

Chihayafuru vols. 20-23 (current) - Aww man I am reminded once again just how GREAT this series is. These volumes had me on the edge of my seat and I am eagerly awaiting the next. Vol. 23 left on a cliffhanger and in the next volume we'll get spoiler[Harada sensei going against Suou for the Meijin title!] I get the feeling the match won't be concluded in one volume since spoiler[the Meijin match is a best of 3.]

Tonari no Kaibutsu kun vol.13 (end) - Shizuku and Haru only show up at the very end of the volume. The time skip had me confused for a sec since it was so sudden but Takaya is adorable when grown up. ^^ Yuuzan looks pretty darned good with spoiler[short hair] too.

On Deck
Kuroshitsuji 18
Magi 20
Ao no Exorcist 12
Gin no Saji 5-8
Sinbad no Bouken 2
Dear Girl ~Stories~ Hizuki 2 (1/22 release)
Yuuutsu na Asa 5 (1/25 release)
Durarara!! Kokinzoku-hen 1
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
Yesterday I read Natsume's Book of Friends 15. I really liked the stories in this volume, and I'm also disappointed that it's becoming bimonthly. Midorikawa sensei said in the afterword for the volume that it had been 10 years since she first started drawing the series, which is kind of amazing. I only discovered it in about 2009/10. After I read it, I decided to watch Hotarubi no Mori he Anime smallmouth

I also read the first chapter of Crimson Spell. Wow, I've not read anything that intense in a while. (may be NSFW under tags depending on how much of a prude your boss is) spoiler[I liked that the sex was quite raw and visceral. I also like that it jumped straight into it in the first chapter, rather than so many BL stories where the sex tacked on in the last chapter almost as a kind of obligatory fanservice rather than as something integral to the plot][/spoiler]
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Read the first volume of Watamote. Dear god was that boring. It's a short book, and well hell, some things are popular for a reason so I wanted to give it a shot, and I hear talk of the anime quite often, but dude, the manga was just the most vanilla thing possibly ever. It wasn't bad, but its jokes were few and far between and the whole thing just felt way longer than the book actually was. There's better comedies out there I say, I'd say skip it because there's slice of life sort of things where nothing happens but you get to know the characters, and there's nothing happens sort of things where there's no real plot and you still barely know much about the character at the end. Kind of a shame we didn't follow her brother imo.

Also read about 3 vols of Loveless, not sure what I was expecting, but I find it kind of boring. I plan to return it to B&N and get Skip Beat omni 1-3 (so 9 vols) like I probably should've done in the first place (and at least two of you are going "Why would you get Loveless over Skip Beat? Or anything over Skip Beat?" but I will fix this!) It was weird, that's for sure, but at least it was better plotted than the other Yun Kouga series I read, Gestalt, so I will give it that. The premise is also promising, but it seems like there's no payoff whatsoever almost 3 volumes in, and 3 volumes into Basara, a literal ton had already happened, so lots can be done in 3 short vols. It's just too spread out without me learning much of interest on the characters or plot for my taste, but I could see how others enjoy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 110 of 154