• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 to Ship in June for DS

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
I'm really hoping for a revisit through a region for this game. Potentially it could start out in a new region and then go through a Unova set a while after the last. Like G/S/C. (Although I wouldn't get any hopes up for that. B/W were released not too long ago, chances are they haven't had that much time in development)

As much as a game where you visit all regions sounds great, I don't know how it would work. For one thing, it would be HUGE. For another thing, Pokemon levels would be hitting level 100 somewhere like the third region. I suppose that could make the last few regions be based on stats and moves as opposed to just leveling up higher than your opponents and gym leaders, but I don't see that happening.

I hadn't thought about how quickly you'd get to level 100 in a game like that. Hmm...I suppose higher emphasis for that would then be placed on switching out your core team and starting training over, but having some way to enforce that in the story would seem a bit cheap too...I'm sure if they did do it though, they'd find a way to surprise us.

Quote:
But you see, Nintendo should be wanting you to buy a 3DS. That's why this doesn't make any sense.

Oh I agree with you, it's definitely a weird move. Just one I couldn't be any happier for, considering. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

So Pokémon Pinball, Pokémon Snap and the Trading Card Game didn't exist back then? Nope, I don't remember it being like that =3.

As for Region Block - they will be region blocked for DSi, DSi XL and 3DS consoles. Not DS Phat or DS Lite though.

Exactly. Most people keep forgetting about the side games... though the TCG and Pinball weren't that popular...

And I figured that, too, but I just don't want some of the exclusive features to make this cartridge only work for one region or not for the regular DS...

Revolutionary wrote:
But you see, Nintendo should be wanting you to buy a 3DS. That's why this doesn't make any sense.

Little kids who can't buy their own systems aren't likely to get their parents to buy them for them. Especially in Japan, and especially with the Japanese price, even discounted like it has been. Only "spoiled" kids get that kind of lucky treatment.
The creators are certainly aware of the older demographic and willing to do some things for them, but when it comes to marketing, little kids are, and will always be, the target demographic. In that case, the DS is the best choice. After all, only the older fans are complaining about this...

Besides, these games are sequels/expansions of the story from Black and White, which are for the DS. Since there has to be direct compatibility between these games and the previous games in order for people to trade properly and do multiplayer stuff, I doubt using the 3DS as the main system is that enticing.

I would also infer that unless these games are really cheap additions with really cheap gimmicks and very few improvements on Black and White, they had these planned before the announcement/release of Black and White. We'll just have to see about this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
They should do an enormous Pokémon game that utilizes all the "areas" (Kanto, Johto, Unova, etc) of the past games. Maybe make it a MMORPG.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
It makes perfect sense that the new games will be on DS: they're still Generation V.

Generation I (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow): Game Boy (Yellow was enhanced to work on GBC, but it still was considered a Game Boy Game)
Generation II (Gold, Silver, Crystal): Game Boy Color (Gold and Silver could still be played on a GB, but that was more backwards compatibility than intended system)
Generation III (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green): Game Boy Advance
Generation IV (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver): DS
Generation V (Black, White, B2, W2): DSi (technically DS, but I'm holding up the lack of connectivity with Gen III due to the lack of GBA slot on the DSi as evidence that Gen V is technically meant for the DSi, just like Gold and Silver were meant for GBC).

Other than the side games, which aren't considered part of the "core" series, there has never been a generation that spans two systems (unless you count the fact that 2/3 of Gen II technically could be played on an original GB, even though they were developed for GBC). So it makes perfect sense that B2/W2 are on DS/DSi.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
It makes perfect sense that the new games will be on DS: they're still Generation V.

Generation I (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow): Game Boy (Yellow was enhanced to work on GBC, but it still was considered a Game Boy Game)
Generation II (Gold, Silver, Crystal): Game Boy Color (Gold and Silver could still be played on a GB, but that was more backwards compatibility than intended system)
Generation III (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green): Game Boy Advance
Generation IV (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver): DS
Generation V (Black, White, B2, W2): DSi (technically DS, but I'm holding up the lack of connectivity with Gen III due to the lack of GBA slot on the DSi as evidence that Gen V is technically meant for the DSi, just like Gold and Silver were meant for GBC).

Other than the side games, which aren't considered part of the "core" series, there has never been a generation that spans two systems (unless you count the fact that 2/3 of Gen II technically could be played on an original GB, even though they were developed for GBC). So it makes perfect sense that B2/W2 are on DS/DSi.

You can't ignore Crystal being on the Gameboy Color and Gold/Silver being on the Gameboy. That IS a system jump within the same generation.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
More Pokemon is good news, glad to see they're breaking away from the formula a bit. Nice to see a quick Japan release and hopefully the English one won't be too far off.

I wonder if it will still be in Unova or what the story will be like.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
I have no problem with more Pokemon. If the number of Pokemon didn't increase or it would've went the way of Monster Rancher and disappear off everyone's radar.

I'm sure I am not the only one hoping for a 3DS Pokemon 'color' game with modern console graphics. I want a Pokemon adventure in full 3D.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
We have box art!

It's pretty badass, if I do say so myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2