• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hai Fidelity - D'espairsRay: Mirror

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Voice of Reason wrote:
Cassandra, thank you from me too!

It's a little weird to me that you have often reviewed hard rock records even though that type of music doesn't seem to be your preference. And yet..... they are really informative.

Even though your review for Mirror was only lukewarm, I'm now interested in buying this CD based on your comments. Very Happy

Your welcome and thank you Anime smile I really try to leave my personal preferences out when I listen to a new CD. I want the songs to be good because they're good, not because they fit into a category. So while my opinion may vary from other people's opinions, my opinion won't ever be "This album sucks because I don't like this type of music."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
phi-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Voice of Reason wrote:
Cassandra, thank you from me too!

It's a little weird to me that you have often reviewed hard rock records even though that type of music doesn't seem to be your preference. And yet..... they are really informative.

Even though your review for Mirror was only lukewarm, I'm now interested in buying this CD based on your comments. Very Happy

Your welcome and thank you Anime smile I really try to leave my personal preferences out when I listen to a new CD. I want the songs to be good because they're good, not because they fit into a category. So while my opinion may vary from other people's opinions, my opinion won't ever be "This album sucks because I don't like this type of music."

Well, it makes me happy that you say that... Though before saying they should lighten up, you should listen to Coll:Set! They have lightened since then, actually. Though that was not what you were reviewing, so I understand...
rising_end

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
death metal? metalcore? how did anyone come to those conclusions? im sorry but you could have never listened to a death metal song in your life if you think despa are in that sub genre. arch enemy or the black dahlia murder (or like someone else mentioned even heavier bands like cannibal corpse) would be more suited for that description. or if you want to stay in japan a band by the name of deathgaze would be closer to it than these guys. metalcore has a lot of double bass drumming and while it can be good if played by the right people, its just not a very dynamic style of music, even repetitive if you will. this band does not fall into any of those categories. despa are a visual kei band thats more on the metal/hard rock kinda side of the spectrum. they have industrial elements in some of their songs but are now way an industrial band either. many visual kei bands have very diverse sounds in many of their songs, this is what makes the genre stand out so well above other forms of rock. they are an amazing band. unfortunately i didn't get a chance to see them in the US this year. like phi-san mentioned their first album coll:set is a bit darker and aggressive compared to mirror, check it out if you can find it. and their new singles from brilliant are great as well. glad to see people find interest in the darker side of japanese music rather than the very poppy jrock found in anime.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Um, a lot of their songs on this disc have low pitched growling vocals and that is where I made the connection, especially in the drum heavy songs.

Fair enough. It's not how I would do it, but that's me.

rising_end wrote:
death metal? metalcore? how did anyone come to those conclusions?

Read my first post as to why I would call them metalcore. They have a lot of hard rock but also some metalcore elements (those breakdowns being a big one).
dabura16

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
yes, it's quite difficult to catagorize them sometimes. Initially they were a VK band but over the years, they've toned down their image. When they started to change their look however, they've stated many times that they consider themselves a goth band (eventhough their sound has evolved somewhat passed that). I've seen them a couple times over the years and they are fantastic live; they transcend the language barrier and that's what gets them so many new fans around the world who aren't into the whole jrock/VK scene. The new(est) single 'Brilliant' is a mix of the dance/electronic elements of 'kogoeru yoru saita hana' and the driving force of 'Trickstar'. They also have a new single out in August called 'kamikaze'. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2