• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Must see...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:48 am Reply with quote
Inu-Yasha wrote:
2.Rurouni Kenshin(The Kyoto arc is best,most people stay away from the Chiristian arc)

Not just the Christian Arc, but everything after Kyoto is best steered clear of. Interestingly enough, the Christian Arc is widely regarded as the only post-Kyoto part of the TV series even remotely watchable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:23 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Not just the Christian Arc, but everything after Kyoto is best steered clear of. Interestingly enough, the Christian Arc is widely regarded as the only post-Kyoto part of the TV series even remotely watchable.

Well, the thing about the Christian arc is that it's the only arc that's longest. About 9 episodes, I think. I've seen post-Kyoto stuff once, and it REALLY goes off pace from Kyoto.

After Shougo Amakusa, there's:

spoiler[ Some arc with a washed up samurai (I think he was, or maybe it was just that he served the old Shougnate or something) who's trying to steal some old funds from the Bakumatsu.

Another arc with a bunch of Germans looking for some magical healing plant, but get involved with some shinobi.

Of course, some filler stuff.

And finally, the series ends with a small arc involving VERY high activity of Feng Shui. It REALLY doesn't go with the whole swordsman thing.]

Please, don't waste your money to see these.

These episodes aren't even worth bootlegging for that matter.

But if you're like me, and just want to buy it to collect it, then be a fool. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I've seen post-Kyoto stuff once, and it REALLY goes off pace from Kyoto.

My good vengeful gods! Never before have I read such a unanimous agreed upon opinion in any forum before in my life. Can they really, truly be as bad as everyone claims they are?

Are they just bad in general or bad compared to the rest of the show? I'm definitely going to buy Ruroni on dvd sometime down the line. Being a completeist I really want to buy all the dvd's but I'm starting to doubt the intelligence of that decision with all the things I've read here. Usually I buy all episodes of a series because if I like a couple of episodes always means that I will like every episode.

How could the post Kyoto arc have gone so wrong? Was it all caused by the lack of manga source material?

By the way, how many episodes are talking about here? The post-kyoto arc that is.
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:53 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
How could the post Kyoto arc have gone so wrong? Was it all caused by the lack of manga source material?

Yes, the manga is very different than the anime after the Kyoto arc. I also don't like the filler material after Kyoto in the anime.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:21 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
Are they just bad in general or bad compared to the rest of the show? I'm definitely going to buy Rurouni on dvd sometime down the line. Being a completeist I really want to buy all the dvd's but I'm starting to doubt the intelligence of that decision with all the things I've read here. Usually I buy all episodes of a series because if I like a couple of episodes always means that I will like every episode.

By the way, how many episodes are talking about here? The post-kyoto arc that is.

Well, post Kyoto is from episode 63 to 95 (the end). The rest of the series is original material that has ABSOLUTELY no relation to the manga, much like after episode 7 or 8 of Hellsing.

If I were you, I'd at least wait for the R1 Kyoto box set to come out, buy it and the 1st one ("Wandering Samurai" box set, eventhough he's techincally NOT a samurai), the movie, the first OAV (definately get this), possibly the movie, and just kind of wait on the 2nd OAV and last 3rd of the series.

The 2nd OAV is a (very) quick version of what's supposed to happen, post-Kyoto, but as Nagisa-sama will tell you, it's not a "canonized part of the series."

Trust me, once you find out what REALLY happens after Kyoto, you'll agree after comparing it to Seisouhen (the 2nd OAV) and the last 3rd of the series. Then, you'll understand what could have been sheer brilliance (if only they'd animate the Jinchuu arc... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad).
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as somebody else who finds everything after Kyoto to be a complete waste of my time and money. (fortunately I didn't waste my money on it actually, other than a couple of rentals.)

Frankly, I suspect we will not see anything further animated (which is a shame) so in order for us to see the true Jinchuu arc, you will need to read the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
so in order for us to see the true Jinchuu arc, you will need to read the manga.

This is true. If you want my opinion, ignore all Kenshin animation after Kyoto, which includes the TV series material and the Samurai-X: Reflection/Seishouhen nonsense (Watsuki even gave that one thumbs down), and just read the manga. The Jinchuu Arc is absolutely gorgeous just as Watsuki wrote it, and the chances of it getting properly animated at this point are about zero.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:29 am Reply with quote
Perhaps I'm the only one here who liked episodes 87 to 95 of Kenshin. Yes you heard me correctly I like past the Kyoto arc and I still want to see the OVA and the other movie. Anyway back to topic and here's a contintuation of my list:
11-13.Dragonball,DBZ,and DB GT
14.Love Hina
15.Witch Hunter Robin(I haven't seen all of this yet but its going on a great pace)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dragon Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:55 am Reply with quote
First off I like to say that Evangelion is a must see anime, its one of the best animes ever. The same goes for X both the series and the strange OAV both are great.

Next I would like to say that Rurouni Kenshin is an anime that I enjoyed to the very end, thats including the OVA's so your not the only on Inu-Yasha, Rurouni Kenshin is too one of the must see animes out there, you learn to love all the characters as the story goes on, thats what makes animes great and many people who I know cried when they saw Samurai X: Reflection (Seisouhen), popel must have liked that mush to make them cry. So I think that there is nothing wrong with Rurouni Kenshin's series, OVA and the movie, all were great.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:22 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's very fair to lump all of the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs together, actually. Tsuioku-Hen (Trust/Betrayal) was an incredibly touching piece of film that faithfully followed the manga and ultimately became one of the better tragic anime around. Seishouhen (Reflection) on the other hand, barring the last five minutes (which admittedly were rather touching), was a trite piece of crap with high production values that bastardized the very story it set out to wrap up by haphazardly punching more plotholes into it than I care to mention.

If you liked it, great, that's your bag. I'm just saying that from where I stand, putting Tsuioku-Hen & Seishouhen under one banner is like having the Pope and Osama bin Laden be roommates.
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quote
You've seen some excellent series. And others have recommended some good ones.

Here's some of my suggestions. Since you're relatively new to anime, I'll say why you should see them.

Inuyasha - A time-travel, action-romance fantasy about a girl from modern Japan who's transported back to Japan's feudal era, where she meets this really different sort of guy... Offers an interesting story about relatively complex characters. Delves into conflict between duty and desire. Nice balance of action, romance and comedy. Beautifully rendered cel animation. Good music. Dub is decent. It's a long series, over 140 episodes and still being produced in Japan. Lots and lots of online fan resources. Inu is something of an obsession among its dedicated fan legions.

Dual - A parallel-worlds adventure featuring giant robots and a hero who, in his travels between the worlds, collects a "harem" of adoring but very competent ladies. Good writing, nice artwork, engaging story. A short series at only 13 episodes. An example of the harem anime genre. Nothing deep here, just pure anime fun. Decent dub and music.

Silent Mobius - An alien-laced adventure melodrama about a woman police officer discovering who she is and where she came from, as she and her unit battle a force of invading space aliens from another dimension. An atmospheric and well-written series that offers some unexpected plot twists. Nice artwork and music. Well dubbed.

Anything by Hayao Miyazaki -- He does movies, not series. Some of his movies you can find readily are Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky. Two of his all-time best works, Porco Rosso and Nausicaa, have been remastered and redubbed with top-grade voice talents like Michael Keaton and Patrick Stewart. Porco is due for April release and Nausicaa is due out next fall. His films range from light-hearted adventures (Kiki) to dark, thought-provoking epics (Mononoke), but anything he has done is worth watching.

FLCL -- Also known as Furi Kuri or Fooly Cooly (title is a Japanese pun on their term for what we call "Public Displays of Affection.") It tells the story of a boy's transition from childhood to adolescence, accomplished with the help of a sexy, guitar-wielding female space alien, his older brother's pyromaniac ex-girlfriend, a sensible pragmatic female classmate, and a cast of strange supporting characters. It appears to be total chaos and mindless mayhem, but what the producers did was take a story that normally would stretch over 13 or more episodes and crammed it into just 6, and laced it with a ton of symbolism and metaphor. It all does make perfect sense but you have to watch it several times and also look up some of the many online fansites that can explain it all. It's well worth the effort, however. Very good dub and excellent music by the J-rock group "The Pillows."

Big O - A story set in a city and world where an unnamed cataclysm 40 years before caused all people to lose all memory of events prior to that time. Paradigm, the City of Amnesia. Big O tells the story of a professional negotiator, Roger Smith, who also happens to control a giant robot named Big O (although he doesn't know how this came to be). It's 26 episodes tell of Roger's efforts to unravel the mystery of Paradigm, aided by great supporting characters like Dorothy the android and Norman the butler, and opposed by the head honcho of the corporation that claims to have rebuilt the city after the disaster. Great music, very good dub job. A nicely rendered atmospheric mystery series with an ending that's provoked much discussion online. Originally just 13 episodes that ended in a kind of cliff-hanger, this series was resurrected by Cartoon Network because of demand from USA fans for final resolution of this story. Has several good online fan sites.

Hope this helps you out. (^_*)
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:01 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I don't think it's very fair to lump all of the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs together, actually. Tsuioku-Hen (Trust/Betrayal) was an incredibly touching piece of film that faithfully followed the manga and ultimately became one of the better tragic anime around. Seishouhen (Reflection) on the other hand, barring the last five minutes (which admittedly were rather touching), was a trite piece of crap with high production values that bastardized the very story it set out to wrap up by haphazardly punching more plotholes into it than I care to mention.

If you liked it, great, that's your bag. I'm just saying that from where I stand, putting Tsuioku-Hen & Seishouhen under one banner is like having the Pope and Osama bin Laden be roommates.

Well, there is only one real problem with the Tsuioku-Hen that gives just a slight problem with continuity. Because of the art style, the characterization for Tomoe was slightly off.

spoiler[IIRC, Tomoe's smile played a key role in the undoing of Enishi. He kills somebody, he sees her smile. Eventually he sees her smiling for Kenshin and no longer for him in this fight and it drives him all the deeper into his insanity. The artistic style was rather unfitting to having her smile at all, and I don't recall that key moment having been in there.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:28 am Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure I follow you, but to clarify, Tsuioku-Hen was mostly a stand-alone thing, given how the TV series skipped out on the story arc that it tied most strongly to, as well as the fact that the producers wanted it to appeal to a wider audience than just Kenshin manga readers. As such, small loose ends that were connected to later events in the Kenshin storyline were naturally crimped a bit (Mumyoui and reference to Otowa were cut, Shishio's appearance was greatly downplayed, etc.). Despite this, however, there was nothing in Tsuioku-Hen to my memory that reached the scale of some of Seishouhen's errors, and the few slip-ups that did occur were almost entirely forgivable (I say almost because every franchise has its "purist" fanboys that will demand bloodshed for the most trivial of mistakes; as far as I'm concerned, Tsuioku-Hen's continuity errors were nothing to even acknowledge).
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:38 am Reply with quote
It's not that I demand bloodshed, I just mean that it would have been hard to follow that up with the Jinchuu arc (had they chosen to animate it) because that portion was not left intact. It would have been strange to see Enishi flashback to an event that wasn't animated to begin with, and so would have either downplayed his view of how he was doing things or would have rewritten the his insanity in a whole other way.

Just something I found odd that I wanted to point out.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:55 am Reply with quote
Well, by the time Tsuioku-Hen was made, the TV series had already been over for about a year or so. At that point I don't think anyone had any serious designs on animating the Jinchuu Arc anyway, so they decided to just do Tsuioku-Hen as a one-shot, self-contained deal. Hence the removal of references to Jinchuu or other majour Kenshin story arcs.

Apologies are in order, as well. I never meant to imply that you specifically were one of those "purist" types, I was merely saying that many of the "errors" made in Tsuioku-Hen were so minor that it really would take a complete purist to actually take issue with them (you didn't take issue, but merely pointed one out).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3