• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - In the Name of the Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
The Black Stones wrote:
Answerfan - discovered that I really can't stand shoujo featuring females as the main character

Uh What? HAHAHA. This is like the overwhelming majority of Shoujo. Get used to it. I don't think I've bought a Shoujo where a female wasn't the main character. I'm sure they're out there but I don't know how you "discover" this fact.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was a bit ridiculous. They might as well have said that they discovered they really can't stand much shoujo.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
The Black Stones wrote:
Answerfan - discovered that I really can't stand shoujo featuring females as the main character

Uh What? HAHAHA. This is like the overwhelming majority of Shoujo. Get used to it. I don't think I've bought a Shoujo where a female wasn't the main character. I'm sure they're out there but I don't know how you "discover" this fact.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was a bit ridiculous. They might as well have said that they discovered they really can't stand much shoujo.
Don't you suppose the Answerfan realizes that's the majority of shoujo and just, hmm, doesn't like it? It's not that crazy a concept. If I had to guess I'd say s/he has read Natsume's Book of Friends (excellent series, btw) and finds other shoujo titles lacking in comparison. Again, just a guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I am thankful for LEGAL ANIME STREAMING. I hated having to choose between throwing down a bunch of money for a product I hadn't seen, or ripping it off like a dirty freeloader.
Lev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually still interested in Bleach, it's Naruto that I wish would just finally end. Bleach still has lots of plot points and mysteries that haven't been resolved yet, while in Naruto it seems like the current arc is winding everything up for the finale. Finally. *Runs away*
Annf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Japanese BDs (at the very least, all anime BDs and concert BDs that I've ever seen) simply don't use region encoding at all. For whatever reason, Japan's BD pressing houses seem to have have adopted region-free as the default standard. So it doesn't matter where in the world you live.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
The Black Stones wrote:

Don't you suppose the Answerfan realizes that's the majority of shoujo and just, hmm, doesn't like it? It's not that crazy a concept. If I had to guess I'd say s/he has read Natsume's Book of Friends (excellent series, btw) and finds other shoujo titles lacking in comparison. Again, just a guess.

I interpreted it to mean that she preferred yaoi, which is shoujo with male protagonists.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm going to incur the wrath of anime superfans but it has to be said. I don't think that all of Hollywood's anime adaptations were bad ideas. They're of a phenomenon I call "the good idea gone bad" or the "good idea gone wrong." That means that what was in essence a good idea,but because of a flaw,whether it was bad direction,bad acting,etc made it bad. There are numerous examples of this,the American version of "Life on Mars,"for example,was a good idea. But there wasn't enough support for it at the network to make it successful.
Stuff like the American versions of "Astro Boy,""Dragon Ball,""Speed Racer,"etc,weren't bad ideas. They just weren't handled well,that's all. And they could have been done better. A lot better.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
"In the name of the Moon", Toei better make damn sure that no unnecessary edits are stipulated in those convoluted SM contracts, or they needn't bother as far as I'm concerned. I'll only buy the whole, uncut series, worts and all.
shoddyworksucks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Why did Transformers make over 300 million dollars each with the second one making 400 million dollars domestic, while the third made over a billion dollars worldwide?

Michael Bay, in his entire career his made one flop while all the rest made massive amounts of money. Awesome!

I really hope you're being sarcastic or facetious, since Michael Bay is a total hack. Plus, I'm assuming that the one flop you're referring to was Bay's execrable Pearl Harbor, but he also directed The Island which tanked as well.

Quote:
Or, "quick, Transformers is making money - we need to come up with movies based off of Ouija boards and the Rubik's Cube!!!"

As a horror movie nerd, Brian, I hate to break this to you, but there's already been a trilogy of horror movies about the Ouija board. The Witchboard movies are about as awful as one would expect, especially the series' final film, 1995's Witchboard 3: The Possession, which sports CG effects that rival even The Lawnmower Man in terms of quality. I guess it just goes to show that any idea, no matter how ridiculous and patently idiotic, has been made into entertainment in some medium somewhere in the world.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
poonk wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
The Black Stones wrote:

I interpreted it to mean that she preferred yaoi, which is shoujo with male protagonists.
except there are shojo titles that aren't BL/yaoi that have male leads. some of them do have some homoerotic undertones (or even overtones) to them, but still aren't part of that genre but are still part of the shojo demographic. a lot of Kaori Yuki's works have male leads and are shojo, Petshop of Horrors is shojo, Otomen is shojo, Natsume's Book of Friends is shojo, from Reload onward the Saiyuki series was published as shojo, DNAngel is a shojo, and that's just naming titles off the top of my head. and if you're talking about adaptions as well Darker Than Black, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, Evangelion, and Wolf's Rain have all had shojo manga adaptions and the manga adaption of the Trinity Blood novels was shojo.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Weiss: I'm actually ok with charging a bit of a premium for certain titles which would not otherwise do well here, such as Wings of Honneamise. But to set a price to them which only the most die-hard American collectors with deep pockets will be able to meet is counterproductive.

Annf:
Quote:
For whatever reason, Japan's BD pressing houses seem to have have adopted region-free as the default standard.

Probably because they realized region-locking didn't work, and actually encouraged piracy. Not to mention they were missing out on the American market.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Had my copy of the new Gunbuster box preordered months ago. Not missing out on this one.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Great column this week Answerman, you've made some good points. Specifically in regards to movie adaptations of anime, and the world of voice acting. Though, I will say that your reference to overused voice actors may be outdated by about a year or so. Besides Durarara!! you'd be hard-pressed to find much recent anime featuring Steve Blum. And as sad as I am to say it (cause he's my favorite VA), JYB is in a similar position right now (well at least he has Bleach in addition to Durarara!!). And Vic....well yeah he is still in everything so that's true. I'd imagine the reason for this is because the LA dubbing studios aren't churning as many dubs out as they used too, meanwhile FUNimation dubs everything they put out, and obviously Vic does a lot of work for them. In fact, even JYB is starting to do work for them too. The Trigun movie is obvious, but I even heard from someone that he has a role in the Darker than Black season 2 OVAs too. So yeah, if we want to talk about overused VAs, we need to start taking a look at FUNimation's VAs cause they're the ones getting the most work these days.

I'd also say that there's no way BANDAI Entertainment will release anything as old as Gunbuster, at least not in the condition they are now. They can hardly even get new anime out on DVD these days. Boy I'm really worried about them right now.

And what am I thankful for right now? Well, at the risk of repeating what everyone else has said, I'm thankful that companies like FUNimation and Aniplex of America are bringing back Limited Edition sets, something that I have sorely missed in the past couple of years (already pre-ordered those Madoka Magica sets! It's gonna kill my wallet but I did it!). Also, and again I'm just repeating people, but I am thankful for online streaming; as I have recently become very involved with that right now. Specifically, I love watching the wonderful anime on Hulu right now; in HD of course (I'm finishing up Tiger and Bunny right now, and I'm watching both Blue Exorcist and Star Driver).

And what am I watching the weekend after Thanksgiving? Well what I've been watching every weekend for a while now. New Bleach on [as], Durarara!!, and Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, which I bought on Blu-ray last month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
loyalmoonie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Dumbing it down even further, it's a tangled, messy legal nightmare."

Hey, screw you. the "legal nightmare" is OVER.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
unwatchable abortion

First time I've ever come across THAT saying O_o The first thing that went through my mind (literal thinking~) was "people watch abortions?!"

Regarding the Answerfan who can't stand shoujo featuring females as the main character I must say I kind of agree. I'd put it differently though. I generally can't stand shoujo unless the main character is a male. And I don't mean yaoi. Stuff like Natsume and Otomen are great! I love them. But stuff like Fruits Basket (which I own) etc? Yeah...not so into those. If the female lead is headstrong and oblivious (Skip Beat and early Ouran) then I like those too.

Sad to hear Arisa drags on. I've got the first volume and it seemed interesting. And I HATE Black Bird without ever reading it. Partially because it does so well on the NY Bestsellers Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I'm one of those people who still likes Bleach. I dropped the manga (scanlations cos I didn't want to pirate manga anymore) but now the anime has reached the part I dropped the manga at, so I can watch it legally on Crunchy and I'm enjoying it! Although like most anime adaptations of long running shounen it feels a little slow, but its still fun! I may not love Bleach as much as I used to but I still like it quite a lot Anime smallmouth
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4