• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Noir vs. Madlax vs. Cazador.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
You all forget one important fact; Noir is boring. Great music, kind of interesting characters and plot.

If it was a two hour movie, it would have been fantastic. At 26 episodes, it's too much.

Cazador is funny but it wasn't as interesting or exciting; Also, I didn't care that much for Elllis's character development. Nadie is my favorite of the Bee Girls {technically speaking, I think she's straight. It's not that her sexuality matters but all the almost yuri of most Bee Train girls is annoying} so that puts Cazador in spot two.

And then there's Madlax; It's the one I own on DVD. There's no ambigious yuri girls here; They're either straight or spoiler[not Margaret. Or her her dolly]. The music is better than Noir {If you need a refresher, check out: Nowhere, I'm Here, Lost Command, Margaret, She's Gotta Go and Madlax. The insert songs, Lost Command and She's Gotta Go got to me on the first viewing}, the story as well {by Yosuke Kuroda, and he's the reason I watched Madlax first and in the first place. If you don't know his anime work then I pity you} and the characters {Noir and Cazador weren't good at creating side characters, villains, supporting characters, one shot characters and arguably the mains. Hell, it's why the director brought in a ringer for creating the show}. The whole show is just fantastic.

There is no argument or at least no competent argument to the contrary; Madlax is the best. It's the only one of the three that can justify 26 episodes. Well, 20, at least.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'll stay brief because I have only seen 2 of the 3 shows, Noir & El Cazador. I did not see Madlax due to mostly poor reviews when investigating.

I actually preferred El Cazador to Noir due to the characters & their relationship to each other that develops. A little humor goes a long way in in making you keep watching for 26 episodes. Noir storyline was more gritty & less fantastical compared to El Cazador, so I'd give Noir the edge on story alone. But the characters are straight up cold fish, and not very endearing. I found it hard to care about what they were going through, although did find it interesting overall. Little things in EL Cazador, like them singing the taco jingle made them seem more like real people instead of robots.
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
The only thing I found amazing about this is that all three is made by Bee Train, with all the flaws and weakness each series have that makes them comparably different. I might as well be thinking them as different animes based on the difference of one's taste and demographic. A person could like Noir because he/she likes the simple artistic & watercolor look, or a person could like Madlax more because he/she loves how the guns were portrayed, or someone just may like El Cazador better because he/she likes a simpler plot.
I manage to pull people who I knew that watched them all, and each of them could not like two of the three animes. They always liked one. Demographic wise it was pretty strange because my kid sister who liked Noir since she was 14 still prefers it, and my one friend (male, age 27) likes El Cazador better.

So truthfully, there are too many low and high points in the series to argue over that I don't even know how to appropriately recommend someone between the three without being biased.
Boomer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
You all forget one important fact; Noir is boring. Great music, kind of interesting characters and plot.

If it was a two hour movie, it would have been fantastic. At 26 episodes, it's too much.

Cazador is funny but it wasn't as interesting or exciting; Also, I didn't care that much for Elllis's character development. Nadie is my favorite of the Bee Girls {technically speaking, I think she's straight. It's not that her sexuality matters but all the almost yuri of most Bee Train girls is annoying} so that puts Cazador in spot two.

And then there's Madlax; It's the one I own on DVD. There's no ambigious yuri girls here; They're either straight or spoiler[not Margaret. Or her her dolly]. The music is better than Noir {If you need a refresher, check out: Nowhere, I'm Here, Lost Command, Margaret, She's Gotta Go and Madlax. The insert songs, Lost Command and She's Gotta Go got to me on the first viewing}, the story as well {by Yosuke Kuroda, and he's the reason I watched Madlax first and in the first place. If you don't know his anime work then I pity you} and the characters {Noir and Cazador weren't good at creating side characters, villains, supporting characters, one shot characters and arguably the mains. Hell, it's why the director brought in a ringer for creating the show}. The whole show is just fantastic.

There is no argument or at least no competent argument to the contrary; Madlax is the best. It's the only one of the three that can justify 26 episodes. Well, 20, at least.

I haven't seen Cazador, so I cannot really comment on it. I completely agree with your assessment of Madlax though. It is a fantastic show that is miles ahead of Noir in terms of music, animation, and character development. It is one of my all-time favorite series. Noir, on the other hand, bored me to tears. It is highly overrated with uninteresting and unlikeable (to me) protagonists, a boring plot, mediocre animation.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Boomer, you do realize that you're replying to four-month-old posts that are themselves responses to four-year-old posts, right?

That being said, I never participated in this discussion before because I never watched more than the first couple of episodes of El Cazador de la Bruja. However, I have seen all of Madlax (though not in several years) and Noir (relatively recently). The music in both is by my favorite anime musical scorer, so I'd rate their soundtracks about equal. Both series depend on them heavily to power their content, and while Madlax's score doesn't have any individual numbers quite on the level of "Cante Par Me" or "Solta Nos," its consistency of quality may be a little higher.

Story-wise, I'd rate them about equal overall, too. In this case Madlax is better at its peaks but is also more widely uneven, and what little advantage that Margaret and Madlax might have in character development is more than offset by the fact that the Mireille-Kirika-Chloe relationship developments in Noir are better. The one place that Madlax has a clear edge is in its artistry, but even there it's not a huge one. It did also have better Extras in its original American release, but that's something specific to the releases, not the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Boomer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Boomer, you do realize that you're replying to four-month-old posts that are themselves responses to four-year-old posts, right?

That being said, I never participated in this discussion before because I never watched more than the first couple of episodes of El Cazador de la Bruja. However, I have seen all of Madlax (though not in several years) and Noir (relatively recently). The music in both is by my favorite anime musical scorer, so I'd rate their soundtracks about equal. Both series depend on them heavily to power their content, and while Madlax's score doesn't have any individual numbers quite on the level of "Cante Par Me" or "Solta Nos," its consistency of quality may be a little higher.

Story-wise, I'd rate them about equal overall, too. In this case Madlax is better at its peaks but is also more widely uneven, and what little advantage that Margaret and Madlax might have in character development is more than offset by the fact that the Mireille-Kirika-Chloe relationship developments in Noir are better. The one place that Madlax has a clear edge is in its artistry, but even there it's not a huge one. It did also have better Extras in its original American release, but that's something specific to the releases, not the series.

Yes, I do realize that the last post before mine was four-months old; but, since one member chose to revive it after four years, I decided to contribute my opinion after a comparatively much smaller time gap of only four months had elapsed.

Once again, my preference for Madlax over Noir comes down to esthetics. On all levels, I think Noir is highly overrated while Madlax is highly underrated. The animation quality of the latter is much better in my opinion with more detailed artistry and more vivid colors. The animation style of Noir looks flat and lifeless in comparison. While it may be merely due to my personal taste, I am of the opinion that Madlax's soundtrack fits the story better and more appropriately reflects the mood of the characters and the various plot points than that of Noir, whose music comes across as pretentious.

Madlax also contains some humor in a few scenes, which is completely absent in Noir. Finally, I did not care about any of the characters in Noir. The protagonists are both unlikeable and one-dimensional. Madlax has better character development, and its characters have personalities with more realistic emotional arcs. Questions of identity, memory, and existentialism are dealt with in a more profound way than in Noir. I personally did not like the supernatural turn that Madlax took at the end, but I am willing to forgive that one flaw because everything else about the series was superior in my opinion.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
I am of the opinion that Madlax's soundtrack fits the story better and more appropriately reflects the mood of the characters and the various plot points than that of Noir, whose music comes across as pretentious.

Do you mind humoring me in describing why you feel that Noir's music comes across as pretentious to you? You see, I have a hard enough of a time with people saying that anime comes across as pretentious, but to hear that a musical score, one of my favorites in particular, is considered pretentious just flabbergasts me.
Boomer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Boomer wrote:
I am of the opinion that Madlax's soundtrack fits the story better and more appropriately reflects the mood of the characters and the various plot points than that of Noir, whose music comes across as pretentious.

Do you mind humoring me in describing why you feel that Noir's music comes across as pretentious to you? You see, I have a hard enough of a time with people saying that anime comes across as pretentious, but to hear that a musical score, one of my favorites in particular, is considered pretentious just flabbergasts me.

For starters, one of the songs has a Latin title, "Salva Nos" and another refers to a character from an obscure French comic ballet, "Coppelia's Casket". I also have a hard time with people saying that anime comes across as pretentious because I happen to like artsy shows with profound philosophical themes. In the case of Noir, the references and metaphors seem forced and unwarranted by a plot that is basically nothing more than a soap opera with guns.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2