• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Simoun Sub.DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
The general style of both armies are so extremely different. For some reason it reminds me of the two armies in Last Exile with one having a more French/Italian feel and the other a Russian feel to their styles.

I also like the two tone colored eyes that the characters have. Although I've seen this effect done on occasion, especially for promotional artwork, I can't think of any other series that use it consistently like Simoun does.

At first I thought this was going to be a gimmicky series with the yuri element but found that this element is not overplayed in the series. Having been disappointed in their recent title Kasimasi I was surprised to find Simoun a solid first six episodes with some gorgeous artwork and animation.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I usually don't do yuri, but this looks like it might be worth renting, at least. I don't watch dubs, so the sub-only thing is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crescent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
The creators told MediaBlasters to do so. And it doesn't make a hole either: Aaeru has three syllables, Aer has three letters.

Ah, yeah, I do remember that. That's really no big deal for myself, I think I'd be more thrown off by seeing Kyuukoku as opposed to Simulacrum.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
One more thing that I have to point out. When you go into the settings menu you can choose between Japanese and English subtitle and back to main! At least in previous MB sub only titles like Loveless you can choose between subs on and off. Why bother with a settings menu if there are no options present?

I think that this is a mistake in the discs authoring and they just forgot to put the subs off button on this menu.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:55 am Reply with quote
Glad to see I'm not the only opponent to the voltronian army's view of the english spoken word.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
Crescent wrote:
PlatinumHawke wrote:
The creators told MediaBlasters to do so. And it doesn't make a hole either: Aaeru has three syllables, Aer has three letters.

Ah, yeah, I do remember that. That's really no big deal for myself, I think I'd be more thrown off by seeing Kyuukoku as opposed to Simulacrum.

Where did the fansubbers get Simulacrum anyway?
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quote
The series is actually quite good, I will buy this if it gets a UK release.

I'd say the biggest weakness for the series is the real lack of closure in the final episode, there is a bit of foreshadowing but in general two of the major cast just up and disappear to little effect.
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Is the Screen Actors Guild strike affecting dubs as well?

I see a lot of sub only works lately in review and it's starting to get to me for some reason.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
VEGANDARAE wrote:
Is the Screen Actors Guild strike affecting dubs as well?

I see a lot of sub only works lately in review and it's starting to get to me for some reason.

It's the writers guild, not the actors. My understanding is that animation is covered by a different guild. There was even speculation that some screen writers would jump to animation during the strike to make money.

The sudden influx in sub only DVDs is really nothing more than a time and cost cutting attempt.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
WHEW!

Whatta relief, so the anime industry isnt getting hurt by this at all?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
A lot (most?) of anime dubbing work isn't union to begin with, so even if SAG was striking, it probably would have little or no effect on English dubbing of anime.

Besides, the increase in sub-only releases started long before the current writer's strike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WesW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the OP sequence for the show, I instinctively cringed, thinking that this series would just be a cheap attempt to appeal to the lowest common demoninator. However, I saw enough potential in the military, social and sic-fi elements introduced in the series to go ahead and keep watching. This was one time when I should have gone with my instincts.
A typical episode in Simoun goes like this: Girl A pursues girl B for pairing or romantic reasons. Girl B refuses girl A's advances for some well-reasoned, valid reasons. The show then cuts away to some other event. After a while, girl B waltzes in and suddenly declares that she has decided to give in to girl A's advances.
What about all the reasons she refused initially? We never know, because issues are never explored and resolved in Simoun. And it's not only personal issues. The military and political aspects of the show are similarly short-shrifted. As I watched the show, it was if more plot developments occurred off-screen than on-screen. And then we get to the non-ending, which hentai4me alluded to.
By the time it was over, it seemed apparent to me that the show was initially scripted out as a 52-ep. series, but was then cut down to one season. The result was that all the expositional content for the sub-plots was thrown away, and what is left ends up being nothing more than a cheap attempt to play to the subset of the otaku crowd that's into figurine collecting.
If the series had been fully developed, and the social (i.e. yuri) aspect handled with respect, ala Kurau: Phantom Memory, then this could have been a great series. As it is, the only people likely to get much out of it are guys who go into squeals of schoolgirl delight at the sight of animated figurines kissing each other.

Oh, I forgot to add that one of the subplots involves incest between two sisters, and there is an eye-catch for one of the later eps which depicts one of the older pilots in bed naked with one of the child pilots, perhaps the prodigy that Key mentions in the review. Just to let you know what type of audience the producers decided to aim for.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
If the series had been fully developed, and the social (i.e. yuri) aspect handled with respect, ala Kurau: Phantom Memory. . .

This may be a bit off-subject, but there is nothing "yuri" about Kurau. People that think so are reading way too much into the Kurau/Christmas relationship.

If you are correct about the rest of this series then I'm not happy to hear it. This series gets off to a good enough start that I'll probably watch it out anyway, but it would have been more satisfying to know I had something good to look forward to.
Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Simoun truly is an amazing series and I'm glad it is finally able to be pruchased in the States. The emotional impact really doesn't start to pickup till mid-series and then by then it's hitting you full on.
crimsonsplat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
The emotional impact is quite powerful, especially towards the end, but the actual ending itself was highly disappointing.

Along about ep. 20, I wrote:
Quote:
It’s not giving away much to say that they will fall from grace, then fall further, and further yet, before hitting absolute bottom. From there, they will have to climb back up, bit by painstaking bit. There will be no sudden victory, after which all is forgiven and everything’s right with the world. There will be no cheap motivational speeches followed by triumphant battles. No scenes of mere sweat and determination, nor video montages will cheapen their victory — if, indeed, they are victorious. That has yet to be determined. But they’re all on the same page now, and if Hell’s legions had any sense, they’d stand aside. Watching the first dozen episodes is not going to be easy for many people, but the payoff has been worth it.

Unfortunately, the ending left too much unexplained and unresolved; there were too many loose ends and gaps, and I am in agreement with WesW:

Quote:
By the time it was over, it seemed apparent to me that the show was initially scripted out as a 52-ep. series, but was then cut down to one season. The result was that all the expositional content for the sub-plots was thrown away...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3