• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with repetitive or predictable plot.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
It's about the same as any other media though. Most things are pretty predictable. Video games are some of the worst. Almost every video game with a story is good guy beating bad guy, assuming you can beat the game =P.

I'm just going to assume that you don't know much about Xenosaga, Final Fantasy XII, or MegaTen games, because otherwise I might respond more angrily.
ElementSun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
Vortextk wrote:
It's about the same as any other media though. Most things are pretty predictable. Video games are some of the worst. Almost every video game with a story is good guy beating bad guy, assuming you can beat the game =P.

I'm just going to assume that you don't know much about Xenosaga, Final Fantasy XII, or MegaTen games, because otherwise I might respond more angrily.

well... what's the point of a game when you aren't suppose to win in the end?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
ElementSun wrote:

Press the reset button?
Clodus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote
yeah I've noticed it repetitiveness quite alot especially once you get more familiar with anime and start seeing patterns but even if you know whats going to happen. Its how its presented and how it happens is more of how i view things. thats what keeps my interest up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
I find that manga or anime based on date sims are going to have the same damn storyline. Especially when you look at it being harem based, all these girls vying for the guy. All that happens really is that you either change the number of girls, give them different hairstyles and names. The setting is the same. It's at a school, be it high school or college or wherever.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
ElementSun wrote:

I'm just saying that there are examples of video game plots where it doesn't boil down to something so simple as "good guy has to beat bad guy".
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
yeah I've noticed it repetitiveness quite alot especially once you get more familiar with anime and start seeing patterns but even if you know whats going to happen. Its how its presented and how it happens is more of how i view things. thats what keeps my interest up

Yeah, I pretty much see it the same way. In fact, I'd say the how is far more interesting than the what in a storyline, no matter how predictable/unpredictable something is.
GlassShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
[HUH? FruitsBasket is nonrepetitive? Did I watch different FruitsBasket?
Are we talking about anime when the story looks like that:
1. Tohru meets Sohma
2. Tohru discover that the Sohma she met has tragic past [usually this tragic past is that the Sohma has awful parent/s so Tohru can act like his/her (the Sohma) mother]
3. Tohru gives the Sohma a hug and/or warm words.
4. Problem solved and the Sohma start changing into new better/stronger person. Next person.

Maybe it's me, but I feel that each encounter held different meanings, although the concept is somewhat similar. Perhaps it was a big turning point for me since I rarely watch anime with such peaceful atmosphere ( It's usually kickass actions and blood drenched events).
GlassShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
ElementSun wrote:

I'm just saying that there are examples of video game plots where it doesn't boil down to something so simple as "good guy has to beat bad guy".

Um, it's a shame I don't know much about video games consider how all my friends are game freaks. I'm just wondering, isn't there video games that allow you to choose certain events which could eventually lead to different outcomes? ( Now, I know I'm getting off topic here, but please don't smack me..><)
Jih2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
To reply to the topic as a whole, yes. Anime is certainly not a place for those seeking totally different things/ideas. This not to say there aren't any experimental works in anime its just that anime seems to have less overall uniqueness. In fact, nothing really has that much uniqueness. Every idea came from an inspiration from seeing/reading something else and then changing it. Sometimes the change is huge and other times it's ver slight.

Yes there are thousands upon thousands of generic anime titles. They will always exist and will probably always be appreciated in some strange way.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
GlassShadow wrote:
Xenofan 29A wrote:
ElementSun wrote:

Um, it's a shame I don't know much about video games consider how all my friends are game freaks. I'm just wondering, isn't there video games that allow you to choose certain events which could eventually lead to different outcomes? ( Now, I know I'm getting off topic here, but please don't smack me..><)

The short answer is: Yes
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Generic plot elements in anime really doesn't mean anything. It can go either way. For example, there has been a lot of anime which used generic elements but still managed to succeed because the wild card factor, be it some sort of plot twist or a certain character, can change the entire vibe of the series. Of course, the greater amount of cliches, the harder it is to make the series seem refreshing, but I don't believe it's that big of an issue at all. If the basics of the series are done right, it's going to at least be a worthwhile watch.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Xeno, I redirect you back to my post with the word "almost" as a kind of fail safe for myself. Obviously not EVERY game is about good guys beating the bad guys(and there are plenty more examples outside of the rpg genre), it's just that there is rarely much difference if the game has a story.

And I kind of do agree with ryokoalways(tenchi muyo?) here anyway. Most of the movies, television and anime I watch as well as video games I play are very much like something else I might've seen/played a year before it and a year before that year etc etc. The execution is why we have 20 mecha anime dealing with philosophy, end/beginning of the world and what have you. If the execution was all the same, we'd have the same anime drawn out frame for frame 20 times. Even if the END result is predictable, some good twists getting there are always welcome =)
starseven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I would say the vast majority of games and anime focus on the good side. I would also say that there are animes and games which have focused more on the darker side. I would definitely say that Deathnote tends to focus on the darker character rather than your good character. I have seen several games which also have focused on some dark themes. I would say Dungeon Keeper is definitely this way. I mean you spend the game destroying peoples town and kingdoms. II wouldn't say this is focused on doing good deeds or saving anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I find that manga or anime based on date sims are going to have the same damn storyline. Especially when you look at it being harem based, all these girls vying for the guy. All that happens really is that you either change the number of girls, give them different hairstyles and names. The setting is the same. It's at a school, be it high school or college or wherever.

Ya... It's cute for a while but... sometimes I watch a dating-sim anime I've never seen, and wonder if I've seen it a few times before ^^;;;

I guess harem makes a bunch of money. Why else would there be so many.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3