• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S.K.I.N. Concert Significantly Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
Charismaho wrote:
Wasn't there a delay with the exhibition hall as well? I thought it was scheduled at 10am. When I got there, I had to wait two hours just to get in. Ridiculous. Everything seemed so unorganized.

The exhibit hall has always opened at noon time for the last couple of years I've gone to AX; I didn't even know they were planning to open earlier this year.

The exhibit hall always opens at 12 on the first day. It opens at 10 the other days.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
Charismaho wrote:
Wasn't there a delay with the exhibition hall as well? I thought it was scheduled at 10am. When I got there, I had to wait two hours just to get in. Ridiculous. Everything seemed so unorganized.

The exhibit / dealer hall opened about 15 minutes late, not that bad.
psipsy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
One of my friends here decided to sit in line for a few hours for the AMVs (not that I would have, it was a great time to go get something to eat and then introduce another friend to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"). He told me about how someone had sticky fingers and walked off with all the AMVs. Honestly, in this day and age of cheap and massive hard drives and 16x DVD burners, a backup copy or twenty should have crossed someone's mind.
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
This has less to do with the Japanese performers & far more to do with the con organizers. And I've heard a lot of negative about how Anime Expo is run which is why I skip it.

My worst one ever is still Otakon. Just abhorrent how they treated the guests and press like they were riffraff in '05.
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
seichan80 wrote:
even though all concert main acts start late,
you'd think they've thought ahead. 2 hours is a loong time.

...a no bag policy would've been simpler.

No bags at a convention is like saying no playing the software at a game convention. They're handed out for free at booths to begin with. If you're there for one day, its nigh impossible to stow a bag somewhere without having to hoof it half a mile back to the parking garage to ditch it.

They should have started admittance at least 1.5 hours ahead of time, considering the talent and the amalgam of fans as a result of it. They knew better. At least half a dozen doors, 4 people to a door checking, 2 more for security, resulting in at least 24 people in every 10 seconds, almost 150 per minute, give or take a few for troublemakers.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Last year at Comic-con they dealt with Samuel Jackson, not to mention the other stars. I know Jack Black was scheduled to play wit his band, but then I heard he cancelled, so I don't know if he played or not, but he has in the past. They had Hugh Jackman & the stars of Van Hellsing, Lord of the Rings stars, Spiderman, Seth Green's been on the salesfloor(DMP had an interesting report of his reaction when his RObot Chicken promo both was next to their yaoi booth). We had the Kare kano author out a year or so ago, last year the author of Kenshin, Vampire Knight, & every year the manage to get a few Korean authors over also. We've had Nightow & the Vamp D artist (Amano? Don't care to check right now) Can't even begin to name the number of VA's-of anime & domestic titles like Spongebob.

It's a matter of whether they want to think of themselves as a fan gathering or accept these are atrs who deserve to be treated like stars with the security & all. If they accepted the responsibility that goes with it, this wouldn't be happening. I've never come across glomping at Comic-con, although I've heard in the hotel halls it might happen--they do evict people from Comic-con & so it's worth being on one's better behavior & not acting like a 12 yr-old dropped off by mom for the first time ever to party.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo actually showed up at the end of the ANN panel. For the SKIN concert though at one point they were handing out free tickets. I think though I'm glad I didn't but the tickets in the first place, because I don't know if I even would have gone. But to hear that it turned out the concert was delayed by that much clearly indicates how bad this convention has been going. But it's the first day I guess that really gets to everybody.
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Charismaho wrote:

Noon was the scheduled time. They had about a 15 minute delay -- but, after that, it was fine.
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin wrote:
seichan80 wrote:
even though all concert main acts start late,
you'd think they've thought ahead. 2 hours is a loong time.

...a no bag policy would've been simpler.

No bags at a convention is like saying no playing the software at a game convention. They're handed out for free at booths to begin with. If you're there for one day, its nigh impossible to stow a bag somewhere without having to hoof it half a mile back to the parking garage to ditch it.

They should have started admittance at least 1.5 hours ahead of time, considering the talent and the amalgam of fans as a result of it. They knew better. At least half a dozen doors, 4 people to a door checking, 2 more for security, resulting in at least 24 people in every 10 seconds, almost 150 per minute, give or take a few for troublemakers.

It was problematic all the way around (apparently), but "no bags" is just implausible. First, you got a goodie bag with your schedule and the like -- then, of course, all the crap you picked up in the Exhibit Hall.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote
I really don't understand why these larger cons holding outside concerts don't just treat these concert like REAL concerts and use REAL staff to manage the operations.
starcade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
I really don't understand why these larger cons holding outside concerts don't just treat these concert like REAL concerts and use REAL staff to manage the operations.

I think part of that is a simple thought that AX might be too large to continue to be held as it currently is.

I mean, I even got the sense LAST YEAR that the con was too big for the sections of the Anaheim Convention Center that it got -- and now Long Beach has become quite the nightmare for a lot of the attendees.

It might, seriously, be time to consider breaking up AX.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
AX is definitely too big for the LBCC, but despite that they did an extremely good job of making everything fit this year.

Anaheim is a much better location, unfortunately they won't be returning to Anaheim next year, and I'm very concerned that 2008's location is going to be an absolute nightmare.

We've been talking about next year's location (which will be announced officially on Monday), and don't see anything good coming of it. But I have to admit, I was just as skeptical about LBCC, and it has so far turned out very well.

There's no reason to break up AX. It's a big anime con, but there are much larger events that ocurr all around the U every weekend.

-t
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
AX is definitely too big for the LBCC, but despite that they did an extremely good job of making everything fit this year.

Anaheim is a much better location, unfortunately they won't be returning to Anaheim next year, and I'm very concerned that 2008's location is going to be an absolute nightmare.

We've been talking about next year's location (which will be announced officially on Monday), and don't see anything good coming of it. But I have to admit, I was just as skeptical about LBCC, and it has so far turned out very well.

There's no reason to break up AX. It's a big anime con, but there are much larger events that ocurr all around the U every weekend.

-t

I see no reason for it to break up either, because that would be a pretty big hit to anime fans in North America, where else would they be able to go that is conveniently located? Now you've got me all worried tempest, that it's not coming back to Anaheim next year. Why wouldn't it? I'm really hoping it's not going to come back here, it's been what I would consider a mess. If anything, is there a chance that it might end up in San Diego for next year?
Narcissism_SKIN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
I don't think S.K.I.N. should really break up.
I mean, everyone seemed to enjoy that four GORGEOUS looking males were put together in one band.
And really, they JUST formed the band too.
So I think they should give it some more time.
And see how the band turns out to be.

And about the bag check.....
Maybe they did it even longer because Gackt, Miyavi, Sugizo, Yoshiki, (and Ju-Ken) were more "famous" than last year's (and the years before that) bands/artist. -shrugs-
I don't know, that's what I thought.
But seriously, I thought I was going to die in that line! ><;;
It was so frickin` long and I was dehydrated.
And AX didn't even sell water outside, wtf??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kelamity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
lemonade salesman: Lemonade! ice cold lemonade!
Me: how much?
lemonade salesman: only 5 dollars!
Me: be right back going to get some drinks from that starbucks across the street....
S.K.I.N. Concert in my opinion was great, my voice is still gone and I'm still on a high from it, i just wish that dammed security guard didn't walk over and grab that water bottle that hit the rail heading at me, the thing hit right under my fingers thats how close i was. I nearly jump over to grab it but my foot got stuck on my bag and i had to unhook it, by the time i looked down he walked away with it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3