• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - March 31 - April 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
It's their channel. They're not going to get in trouble for changing the lineup on their own channel.

They did it last year, anyway, when Saturday actually fell on April 1st.

And you know, back when AS actually started, I enjoyed the American shows the put on, such as Home Movies and Space Ghost. Mostly, I watched everything they started with except Aqua Teen Hunger Force, which is the only one still around. Go figure.

well thats because its by far the stupidest and annoying show of all of adult swims comedy lineup
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
CanSomebodySayMedic wrote:
while .hack//ROOTS is MIA untill August.

Where did you here this?? I'm actually really digging ROOTS (pun wasn't intended...but I liked it so it stayed). There's only a few episodes left, so why stop??

AS comedies stopped being funny long long ago. Hardy har har, engrish subtitles. You know, it's not as funny if the thing being subtitles is already in English. And the engrish joke isn't even done that well. Lame. I want E7 NOW!!!
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
Actually they did get in trouble with the company that licenses Inuyasha when they put mustaches on the characters as part of April Fool's a few years ago.

Yeah, it would be nice if Spike started airing anime but I'd be surprised if they did. I think the only reason they show Afro Samurai is because Samuel Jackson is associated with it. Otherwise, they probably have the same mindset toward anime that Adult Swim does.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:

Where did you here this?? I'm actually really digging ROOTS (pun wasn't intended...but I liked it so it stayed). There's only a few episodes left, so why stop??

AS comedies stopped being funny long long ago. Hardy har har, engrish subtitles. You know, it's not as funny if the thing being subtitles is already in English. And the engrish joke isn't even done that well. Lame. I want E7 NOW!!!
me two i mean the how only last 50 episodes but its goanna take adult swim 55 weeks to show it pisses me of
also if anybody likes good comedy jiminy glick the movie is on showtime
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
The reason they aired it was because it was an original production, not, (I don't like to use this term, but it fits) second-hand dubbed material. Samuel L Jackson was probably a celebrity voice cast they would have ordered anyway (If not Jackson, some other celeb) If they made co-productions, tailored them for their audience...well, it succeeded where Blade and Dudesons didn't.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:

I'd say the whole presentation is more in-line with bad Hong Kong subs and video quality than just simply Engrish. The show itself is inconsistantly good, as it goes too long on inanity at times. An April Fool's joke was envitable, but at least it beats having a "beaten-dead horse" of a joke like last year's farting spree (good for chuckles here-and-there, but it quickly wore out). Though they thankfully showed the untouched content on its second run of the night (yet still, one would have had to wait that long until then)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:02 pm; edited 6 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Can't Adult Swim save their lame "comedy" for Sunday nights? I had to sound pathetic, but my entire night is spoiled now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Can't Adult Swim save their lame "comedy" for Sunday nights? I had to sound pathetic, but my entire night is spoiled now.
i agree i was gonna spend tonight watching anime to relax after writing a research paper but instead adult swim decided to fudge me over
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Their boards have word filtered "anime" with "Pineapple beach" to annoy complainers even more.

They love making fun of anime fans, but comedy fans would never be subjected to this.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Actually they did get in trouble with the company that licenses Inuyasha when they put mustaches on the characters as part of April Fool's a few years ago.

Best episode of Witch Hunter Robin ... ever! As with the other guy, I still have it.

Was a little mad at myself when I realized they must have done something last year and I missed it, but if all they did was adding fart sounds, no great loss. Since I liked Perfect Hair, the fake-fansubs only made it better, though point reduction for looping so quickly & repeating fan sub moments (wouldn't kill them to take from shows other than FLCL too.)

PS: A side-note to all the haters, there is a little self-parody in there too ... after airing a new episode, they started running them all in reverse order.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
You know what? The poor video quality of these PHF episodes remind me of an old VHS tape that needs the tracking adjusted.

I wonder if it is a "faked" effect?

I can only hope that April 1st falls on a WEEKDAY next year.
PhatPhil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:55 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Of course you're right, and if the comedy fans were subjected to it, the boards would be flooded with the comedy fans' indignant complaints, and rightfully so.

AS doesn't realize this, because they see the anime fans as being elitists, rather than the same as the comedy fans. They just watch what they like, as it should be. The anime watchers have taken their insulting crap for years, and yet they show their watchers the middle finger continuously, all the while complaining that people aren't watching the anime. We would think that the loyal anime viewers who are watching would be treated a bit better, but maybe we'd think a lot of things.

I want to say that I thought they'd be more mature than that filter bit, but I've known their maturity level for years, so I can't say that. People could substitute "Japanese animation", but then would they filter the word Japanese as well? Curious...

Beatdigga wrote:
Their boards have word filtered "anime" with "Pineapple beach" to annoy complainers even more.

They love making fun of anime fans, but comedy fans would never be subjected to this.

To note on this, does anyone else recall the huge rant they went on after Eureka Seven got a series of bad ratings?

I thought to myself that all they did that night was lose any chance of appealing to the anime crowd anymore. I only watch these days because they OCCASIONALLY put good stuff on. The OTHER problem I have is they're like, "Why don't you watch our anime?! *whine bitch moan*" when the MAIN problem is they BARELY have anything anymore.

Start showing Eva repeats again for godsakes, anything to break up the monotany or however that's spelled. Get new animes, whatever, but don't keep showing the same series over and over and over again and expect ratings!

But yeah, they really don't care anymore and I bet those at Williams Street who are the ones who originally suggested getting it on there, probably complain just as much as we do.

And even though it's their channel... There's really no excuse for what they did. Why put on content that is apart of a show you guys originally canceled than show decent quality anime like Eureka Seven and Blood+?

Their actions these days are insane and the only thing I really enjoy anymore is maybe 1 or 2 episodes of aqua teen and Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! But the problem with that is even the AS fans hate it.

I don't know who makes the final decisions anymore, but if you ask me, Keith Crawford and Mike Lazzo (Whatever their names are) seem to have little influence on what is done for their shows these days. I mean look at recent episodes of Aqua Teen. In all honestly, the best episodes of Season 5 were Ezekial, Boost Mobile and Deleted Scenes. All of this had some sort of outside influence. Deleted Scenes was, from what I have gathered, actual deleted scenes from the movie or at least a concept idea for the movie. Boost Mobile was a joke on networks caving to in show advertising... And Ezekial was only good cause Patton Oswalt was in it.

They're running out of originality. Squidbillies sucked, 12 Oz Mouse sucked, PHF sucked, Frisky Dingo sucked, Assy Mcgee sucked, that's 5 original series. What's getting the ratings? Moral Orel, Robot Chicken, Family Guy and Futurama. ALL FROM OTHER WRITERS OR SOURCES NOT FULLY ASSOCIATED WITH AS. When repeats of an old TV show are doing better than original content, you've got a problem. =|

AS is dying down, that's all there is to it. They need to get their you know what together and figure out how they're gonna save their chance of ever showing original content again, cause as far as I am concerned, they can't write anything from their own staff anymore. =(
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6